I'm pretty all the vst-non supporters are secretly supporting the upcoming Reason 9.5 update lol

Discuss VST stuff here!
mreese80

28 Apr 2017

Admit it...everyone is happy. Why wouldn't you be. This is the best thing to ever happen for Reason. Finally, Omnisphere, Trillian, Diva, M-Tron Pro, VSM, Exhale, Waves, Slate Digital, Nexus, and so much more.
Last edited by mreese80 on 28 Apr 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

decibel

28 Apr 2017

mreese80 wrote:Admit it...everyone is happy. Why wouldn't you be. This will be the best thing to ever happen for Reason.

the infinite just got more infinite mate ;)

mreese80

28 Apr 2017

decibel wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Admit it...everyone is happy. Why wouldn't you be. This will be the best thing to ever happen for Reason.

the infinite just got more infinite mate ;)
It's about time. I will be able to do everything in reason now :D
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

JerrelTheKing

28 Apr 2017

the first thing I thought of was Omnisphere 2 in the Reason rack whew..... So excited about this. This is amazing.

Ostermilk

28 Apr 2017

I'm with you on this one, I used to get beaten up (metaphorically of course) pretty bad for wanting VST support a few years ago on the old PUF as I couldn't see the harm in having the choice, and now it's quite funny seeing some of the back-pedalling that's happening among some of those that would be doing the bashing.

For sure, there's nothing as certain as change, just as I got to really loving my RE collection, selling off some of my VST stuff now I find myself buzzing around various developers sites re-authorizing plug-ins seemingly in as many ways as there are plug-ins.

:lol:
Last edited by Ostermilk on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

mreese80

28 Apr 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
I'm with you on this one, I used to get beaten up (metaphorically of course) pretty bad for wanting VST support a few years ago on the old PUF as I couldn't see the harm in having the choice, and now it's quite funny seeing some of the back-pedalling that's happening among some of those that would be doing the bashing.

For sure, there's nothing as certain as change, just as I got to loving my RE collection, selling off my UAD stuff and now I find myself buzzing around various developers sites re-authorizing plug-ins seemingly in as many ways as there are plug-ins.

I've been talking about this forever. I knew they would give in one day. I love how they have added them to reason. Vsts will be way more powerful in reason now. I'm very pleased.

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

mreese80 wrote:Finally, Omnisphere, Trillian, Diva, M-Tron Pro, VSM, Exhale, Waves, Slate Digital, Nexus, and so much more.
And the Roland synths, Korg Legacy, Spire, Serum, Sylenth and not to mention Izotope and Soundtoys :-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

mreese80

28 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Finally, Omnisphere, Trillian, Diva, M-Tron Pro, VSM, Exhale, Waves, Slate Digital, Nexus, and so much more.
And the Roland synths, Korg Legacy, Spire, Serum, Sylenth and not to mention Izotope and Soundtoys :-)
yep!

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

The sound designing aspect of reason was already too much.
Then they expanded it to almost every single plugin on the planet.

But added CV, to vsts. They added CV to plugins instead of using the regular CV LESS EMI VARIANTS :O
I'm done.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

MannequinRaces

28 Apr 2017

This update is good for everybody. It proves that Propellerhead listens to its user base. Developers of generic Rack Extensions might not be too happy but if you have a unique RE to sell (just to name a few Lectric Panda, Air Raid Audio, etc.) new users are going to want to check out what Reason has to offer. I'm still planning on purchasing REs and using those almost exclusively. Finally I can use Permut8 and Reaktor in Reason without workarounds.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

boycotting a free update :thinking:

XysteR

28 Apr 2017

mreese80 wrote:Admit it...everyone is happy. Why wouldn't you be. This is the best thing to ever happen for Reason. Finally, Omnisphere, Trillian, Diva, M-Tron Pro, VSM, Exhale, Waves, Slate Digital, Nexus, and so much more.
Well I've used my Virus Ti2 Desktop and Serum in Reason for so long now, that this 9.5 VST integration saves me 3 double clicks and some CC work. The only single thing that I'm liking is the latency comp for VST effects. So for me, 9.5 is just going to make using Serum and my Virus a bit more convenient.

Yes I welcome it, but I wouldn't be too bothered if they said 'Hang on, scratch that VST idea. We'll just stick with the latency compensation'.

JerrelTheKing

28 Apr 2017

Keyscape in Reason.. For soooo long the discussion of pianos in Reason has been a thing. Not anymore. I was about to purchase the slate VMS and just use it in Pro Tools but I'm now curious as to how it would work in Reason..

platzangst

29 Apr 2017

You know, I'm pretty sure the number of people who were actually against VSTs in Reason was pretty small.

The Tone Ranger

29 Apr 2017

I wasn't really against it. I always just liked what Reason was all about. Redrum, Matrix and the patching has always been the core of Reason for me. I just couldn't see how VST would work with that but I'm really liking how they have implemented it.

What this potentially allows me to do is;

Use Reaktor in Reason - this makes my head explode.
Mix in Reason with my Slate, Fabfilter and Valhalla plugins. No more exporting to Pro Tools.
Expand my Silent Way modular set up.
Makes buying Korg Gadget for Mac (while it's on sale) a no-brainer.

chimp_spanner

29 Apr 2017

The Tone Ranger wrote:I wasn't really against it. I always just liked what Reason was all about. Redrum, Matrix and the patching has always been the core of Reason for me. I just couldn't see how VST would work with that but I'm really liking how they have implemented it.

Mix in Reason with my Slate, Fabfilter and Valhalla plugins. No more exporting to Pro Tools.
Aw man, I guess us PC folk can't get the gadgets just yet huh? That's a shame. I really like them on iPad!

The Tone Ranger

29 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
The Tone Ranger wrote:I wasn't really against it. I always just liked what Reason was all about. Redrum, Matrix and the patching has always been the core of Reason for me. I just couldn't see how VST would work with that but I'm really liking how they have implemented it.

Aw man, I guess us PC folk can't get the gadgets just yet huh? That's a shame. I really like them on iPad!
I'm sure it will come to Windows, Korg are too big not to do it.

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2017

Ostermilk wrote:

For sure, there's nothing as certain as change, just as I got to really loving my RE collection, selling off some of my VST stuff now I find myself buzzing around various developers sites re-authorizing plug-ins seemingly in as many ways as there are plug-ins.

I think it was less the VST being bashed and more the sense of nagging. A part of me wanted VST just so that people couldn't complain about it.

Wonder if the Reason sound myths will still continue?!

esselfortium

29 Apr 2017

avasopht wrote:I think it was less the VST being bashed and more the sense of nagging. A part of me wanted VST just so that people couldn't complain about it.

Wonder if the Reason sound myths will still continue?!
I'm expecting at least 15 years of "Reason's sound engine™ makes my VSTs smell funny!" threads.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

chk071

29 Apr 2017

mreese80 wrote:Admit it...everyone is happy. Why wouldn't you be. This is the best thing to ever happen for Reason.
You're right. I must admit i always was an advocate against the implementation of VST, because i thought it'd sort of make the whole Reason platform obsolete, and RE's too. But now, i'm even considering buying Reason (Essentials) again, just to see how the implementation works, and how well i can work with it. ;) I still have my doubts though, i must say. Time will tell how well it works out for Propellerhead. This is kind of a risky move.
:reason: :rebirth:

CephaloPod

29 Apr 2017

I always wanted the Reason rack as a plugin to use inside Logic. I knew that would never happen, so this is the next best thing...once Reason supports Audio Units, that is...
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

-008'

29 Apr 2017

I think the most of it wasn't people 100% against VST in Reason ... a lot of it may have been people against the constant VST requests/threads while knowing full well (at the time) that the props had already said "No, never". so to many people who used the PUF for Reason-related talk, it all seemed like a pointless waste of breath (at that time)

And yet, here we are! Everyone can have their breath back now. Thanks for breathing! :D

I'm sure we can all find something new to fight about now.

Also Ostermilk is lying. His abuse wasn't VST-related. He used to get beat up for his funny hats, that's all that was.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

platzangst

29 Apr 2017

-008' wrote:I think the most of it wasn't people 100% against VST in Reason ... a lot of it may have been people against the constant VST requests/threads while knowing full well (at the time) that the props had already said "No, never". so to many people who used the PUF for Reason-related talk, it all seemed like a pointless waste of breath (at that time)
Well, and for my part I was mostly against what seemed to be the constant moral judgements people were making, i.e., "The Props aren't listening to my request for VSTs - so that makes them BAD." That kind of stuff. I was never against VSTs - in fact, my first post on the old PUF was suggesting a way to do VSTs in Reason - I was just against some of the over-the-top rhetoric and whining people would produce on the subject, and I was against just immediately cramming in VSTs at a risk of affecting Reason's other attributes.

Look where we are now - we're getting VST support in Reason, and that's great. But also look how long it took to get to this point, and I think any impartial observer would have to say that VST support happened purely on the Props' timetable and terms, not because of ongoing forum kvetches.

-008'

29 Apr 2017

platzangst wrote:
-008' wrote:I think the most of it wasn't people 100% against VST in Reason ... a lot of it may have been people against the constant VST requests/threads while knowing full well (at the time) that the props had already said "No, never". so to many people who used the PUF for Reason-related talk, it all seemed like a pointless waste of breath (at that time)
Well, and for my part I was mostly against what seemed to be the constant moral judgements people were making, i.e., "The Props aren't listening to my request for VSTs - so that makes them BAD." That kind of stuff. I was never against VSTs - in fact, my first post on the old PUF was suggesting a way to do VSTs in Reason - I was just against some of the over-the-top rhetoric and whining people would produce on the subject, and I was against just immediately cramming in VSTs at a risk of affecting Reason's other attributes.

Look where we are now - we're getting VST support in Reason, and that's great. But also look how long it took to get to this point, and I think any impartial observer would have to say that VST support happened purely on the Props' timetable and terms, not because of ongoing forum kvetches.
Yeah all the forum griping in the world and what did it do? They DELETED THE FORUM. lol

As you say, VST support (and all other features) was only ever going to happen on their own terms. New verdane investment aside.. although maybe that was one of their terms too! a prop HQ roundtable might have went: VST support? Maybe, but we ain't paying for it!

Perhaps they have a VERY strict guidelines in place where a new feature MUST adhere to XYZ and never take up X amount of time, resources AND processing powers.

IDK. I'm all speculation! :)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

platzangst

29 Apr 2017

-008' wrote:As you say, VST support (and all other features) was only ever going to happen on their own terms. New verdane investment aside.. although maybe that was one of their terms too! a prop HQ roundtable might have went: VST support? Maybe, but we ain't paying for it!

IDK. I'm all speculation! :)
Here's some speculation for you:

Of course, there's no way for us outside the company to really know how long any of these things have been under development, including the Verdane deal. But consider this: R9.5 is coming out pretty hot on the heels of R9.4, as updates go.

Perhaps everyone noticed that there was no big crush of sample-capable REs upon the release of 9.4. Sure, there were a couple from Blamsoft and zvork, but nowhere near as many as one might have thought - and in fact, some developers I contacted when 9.4 was released seemed to be unaware or even unconcerned about the SDK update. And some people were wondering why the Props hadn't pushed it more and gotten more developers in on the early stages so they could have product ready to go.

Well - maybe the developers DID know. Maybe they knew, but sample loading and the rest wasn't a priority for them because they ALSO knew that VST support was rumbling along right behind. And maybe that explains what seemed like a lukewarm developer reaction to what had previously been a kind of big hurdle for REs. And if that's true, then we can assume that VST support has been in the works for a while. Of course, it might not be true, but it would kind of explain a few things.

• Information