Better than Vocaloid?

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

10 Apr 2019

RodolpheO wrote:
10 Apr 2019
The new beta is arriving! With Mac/PC compatibility, text editor, and more. It will be available on Sat 14th on emvoiceapp.com
We've spent a lot of time improving speed - this new beta is super fast - and reliability. Check it out!

:thumbs_up: :puf_smile:

Looking forward it! I have been using the AU in Garageband here and looking forward to using the VST in Reason.

I still think the "Better Things" example is still the best sounding so far.

reddust

16 Apr 2019

I've tried it last weekend as a VST in Reason, as emvoice is now also available for windows users. It worked pretty well I think, not the nicest UI but easy to work with.

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

It's nice, it's free. But soundwise it can't compete with Vocaloid.

reddust

17 Apr 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
would you recommend vocaloid? I'm thinking of getting it some day but it's kind of too pricey for me

boingy

17 Apr 2019

reddust wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
would you recommend vocaloid? I'm thinking of getting it some day but it's kind of too pricey for me
I'm going to say it. Vocaloid is truly awful. It really is. I've spent hours with it and it just so difficult to get anything that is even remotely passable, certainly in English. Listen to the official demos and consider that they have been done by expert users and still sound like a drunken Autotune session.

I had high hopes for emvoice but the demo crashed Reason within minutes of me starting to use it and it needs constant access to the internet because some (all?) of the audio rendering is done online rather than locally. i suspect this is why it crashed Reason. I also tried it in Cakewalk and it crashed that too. I'm sure it can't be that unstable on every system otherwise they wouldn't have released it to Beta yet but it wasn't a very happy experience for me.

miscend

17 Apr 2019

Well the vocals in modern pop/EDM songs are so artificial and robotic sounding these days, that I don’t think anybody would be annoyed by these fake computer voice plugins. Madonna and T-pain ruined music.

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

reddust wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
I use Vocaloid Avanna, which has the best English I found so far
https://www.bestservice.de/vocaloid_3_avanna.html

reddust

17 Apr 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Thanks, Avanna's voice sounds very nice. I'm actually not concerned about English because I'm making music based on japanese sounds so I'm more likely to use japanese words.

Also sounding kind of artificial is not a big problem, then my idea is to mix natural with electronic sounds, and voices wouldn't become very large parts, it would be more like using a voice here and there for melodic purposes so I guess Vocaloid is really a good option for me. I guess I'll wait for the next sale.

esselfortium

17 Apr 2019

Vocaloid is pretty great IMO. It's not ready to replace a live vocalist, but I've yet to hear any vocal synth that can, including any of the ones proposed in this thread. I'd consider voice synths their own category of instrument at this point, and if that's what you're after, Vocaloid has a lot of versatility and character.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

reddust wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Thanks, Avanna's voice sounds very nice. I'm actually not concerned about English because I'm making music based on japanese sounds so I'm more likely to use japanese words.

Also sounding kind of artificial is not a big problem, then my idea is to mix natural with electronic sounds, and voices wouldn't become very large parts, it would be more like using a voice here and there for melodic purposes so I guess Vocaloid is really a good option for me. I guess I'll wait for the next sale.
If you're familiar with the Japanese language, try out the free UTAU system.
It has lot's more different voices and you can create your own voices too.
https://utau.fandom.com/wiki/UTAU_wiki: ... lling_UTAU

reddust

17 Apr 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
If you're familiar with the Japanese language, try out the free UTAU system.
It has lot's more different voices and you can create your own voices too.
https://utau.fandom.com/wiki/UTAU_wiki: ... lling_UTAU
Thanks a lot, I'll take a look at it. I'm learning japanese for over two years now, but still far from being able to read most of the kanjis, so I'll take a look into Utau and see how far I can go with it. Danke, arigato :)

reddust

17 Apr 2019

esselfortium wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Vocaloid is pretty great IMO. It's not ready to replace a live vocalist, but I've yet to hear any vocal synth that can, including any of the ones proposed in this thread. I'd consider voice synths their own category of instrument at this point, and if that's what you're after, Vocaloid has a lot of versatility and character.
yes, that my view on vocaloid too, it's not like it's always trying to imitate a human voice but that mixture of human and robotic sound is something pretty unique. Some people are even using vocoders to do the same but in the opposite direction, converting human voice to something more robotic.

My aim is to use it in my own way, not very much like the songs we use to listen from Hatsune Miku or modern pop but in any case that point between human and robot is exactly what I need for what I'm trying to do, so it's good to know that vocaloid has versatility because that's the main thing I could need from it

oms1111

22 Apr 2019

there is a link below to download the packs

joeyluck

22 Apr 2019

oms1111 wrote:
22 Apr 2019
there is a link below to download the packs
This sounds like pitch-assigned vocal chopping, but not a replacement for synthesized vocals. This seems to just be fairly random vocal sounds where samples have been assigned to keys of the corresponding pitches, correct? Looks and sounds fun, but I don't see where they would make the comparison to a vocal synth.

reddust

12 Nov 2019

raymondh wrote:
12 Nov 2018
There's a new vocal synth in development, called EMVOICE.
Early versions are Mac only at this stage, PC still in development...

eg
I make a bump on this because I just got an Email that emvoice is finally released in its official version, I have been listening to the demos and I like that it seems to sound quite realistic with not much effort.

Anyways, Lucy hasn't the type of voice I'm looking for and it's price isn't better than buying a piapro voice bank, so I'm most surely going for piapro/vocaloid soon and keep an eye on emvoice as well in case they release a new voice that matches better my taste.

https://emvoiceapp.com

By the way, I got some recommendations and it seems like going for a piapro voice bank could be an interesting option as it includes the voice bank and the software plus a light version of Studio One to start creating and you are able to use Yamaha vocaloid's voice banks as far as they are the same version or inferior to the one you get through piapro. And I didn't know but it seems like Yamaha Vocaloid Editor cannot be used as a VST?

Happy-Musician

19 Feb 2020

Hi, previously on this forum there was a link to a youtube video of a free VST that had vocal chops of Selena Gomez, Britney Spears and some other artists. I didn't download at the time because my reason wasn't updated and didn't have VST support. Now its upgraded, and I thought this would be a fun VST, but I cant seem to find it anywhere. The video is now private, and If I google the link I can find an old thumbnail but when clicking the link it takes me to an unusual and unrelated video.
The Link and old thumbnail are provided below. If anyone knows where I can find it would be great to know. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you :D
Attachments
Vocal VST.jpg
Thumbnail of the video
Vocal VST.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 7401 times

reddust

21 Feb 2020

Happy-Musician wrote:
19 Feb 2020
Hi, previously on this forum there was a link to a youtube video of a free VST that had vocal chops of Selena Gomez, Britney Spears and some other artists. I didn't download at the time because my reason wasn't updated and didn't have VST support. Now its upgraded, and I thought this would be a fun VST, but I cant seem to find it anywhere. The video is now private, and If I google the link I can find an old thumbnail but when clicking the link it takes me to an unusual and unrelated video.
The Link and old thumbnail are provided below. If anyone knows where I can find it would be great to know. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you :D
I wonder if that was even legal... maybe it wasn't and that's why it's no more to find then I guess you cannot use voice samples of such popular singers without paying them and if someone did I would say such a plugin would be rather easy to find...

By the way, I made some research here and asked some Vocaloid fans and after they helped me I ended up buying PiaPro by Crypton, you can just purchase one of their Voice Banks (like Megurine Luka, Kagamine Rin/Len, Hatsune Miku...) and you get the PiaPro software and a lite version of studio one, this saved me a lot of money as I payed around $140 for the the whole thing while Vocaloid costs over $200 only the software plus the default voice banks which I don't really wanted.

The good thing is that you can use Vocaloid voice banks on piapro as well as far as they use the same version, I bought mine through sonic wire and it's version 4 so I can use any vocaloid bank that is also V4 on my software, and I even found one I am really liking and seems to reach quite nice almost realistic sounds if you do some good work on it, this is the one I am talking about:

jlgrimes

25 Feb 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
14 Jun 2017
Is there anything out there that can do a reasonably competent synth vocal that isn't so weeby?
I use Chipspeech and it works pretty good although I use it more for one liners mainly.

ShelLuser

26 Feb 2020

Amazing that I managed to completely miss this thread ;) I've been fascinated with voice synths ever since I discovered (and learned more) about the formant filter in Thor but never gave it much thought so far. In the mean time I did come across Humana in Reason which sparked my interest again; because of that I recently picked up on Sound Iron's vocal suite for Kontakt which was very impressive (and works quite nicely together with Humana too).

Alas... earlier this year I also finally discovered Vocaloid (and Piapro studio, which I don't use) and so far I'm loving it. It has a specific workflow to get accustomed to but once you do the sky becomes the limit. I normally use either my Push or Maschine to put in a melody and then use that to work out the vocals, it's pretty awesome. It definitely has a specific workflow and sometimes it's not easy, but still easy enough. Especially if you make sure to make yourself familiar with all the tricks within Vocaloid (like using ~ and - and such).

As to support for English... although a lot more difficult to set up you can also concentrate yourself on vowel sounds as well, and then use those to build up words. Not very useful for building your own arrangements like that, but it can do wonders if you want to put more emphasis on a section without switching voice types.

Vocaloid is definitely expensive but IMO well worth the money; you really get what you pay for.
--- :reason:

reddust

26 Feb 2020

Yeah, I think the options you get on Vocaloid and PiaPro are huge and it depends on how much work you invest on it to get good results or not. I have barely done much yet with my piapro software as I am still saving money for the Megpoid Voice Bank, which is the one I like the most so far. I've also read that Crypton is working on a totally new software that should be even better than what we already know, but I think we know little to nothing yet about it

https://www.vocaloidnews.net/crypton-re ... e-in-2020/

I also have a big list of singing VSTs, but they're mostly choirs like the Hollywood Backup Singers or Hollywood Choirs from EastWest, the ones from Strezov (Freya and such...), the Bulgarian voices from Audiogrocery... they're great for people like me who cannot sing at all :)

miscend

28 Feb 2020

Computer voices like Siri, Alexa and Google Assistant are pretty convincing. I'm not convinced by any of the singing plugins or Vocaloids I've heard so far.

reddust

02 Mar 2020

miscend wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Computer voices like Siri, Alexa and Google Assistant are pretty convincing. I'm not convinced by any of the singing plugins or Vocaloids I've heard so far.
I can't speak for other voice emulation applications but I think the direction Vocaloid has taken has grown up in its own character, not trying to sound realistic but exactly like it sounds. The examples you put (Alexa, Siri...) tend to imitate human voices as good as they can and there are even better options in development but Vocaloid/Crypton voices aren't often looking for that purpose but to keep that robotic cute character their community likes the most.

In my case, I am somewhere in the middle, Emvoice tried to make a more western like sounding voice which I personally don't like, but I am not 100% happy with the vocaloid voice banks for my personal purpose either, the only one I really like is the one in the video I posted a couple of messages above this one. That voice bank is the nearest to my personal purpose but I hope in the future we will see more voice banks and a lot more versatility coming from these companies, then looking at vocaloid voice banks through their history it seems like 90% of them move in the same direction. They tried a different approach with some of the voice banks but I think those tries sound still quite standard and lifeless, I do even find a more interesting character to the robotic cute voices than the ones pretending to be made for western music producers.

I think if these guys can get their AI voices to sing that would be great, momentarily they seem to at least be able to use different tones of reading:
https://google.github.io/tacotron/publi ... index.html

• Information