IKMultimedia plug-ins: Quality or $1 crap?

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2019

That’s the question really. Anybody tell me one way or the other what they think? By way of an explanation, what I mean by $1 crap takes in the type of VSTs often advertised on sites such as Plugin Boutique as original price $249 your price $1. You know what I mean. Anyway I’m not out to knock IKMultimedia. I’m genuinely interest in hearing your opinions. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

16 Sep 2019

I have some of the T-Racks plugins.They're good plugins, the newer ones are better than the older ones, I don't use them often because I have other choices I prefer. But they're definitely much better than the shovelware £1 plugins on Pluginboutique. IK's Amplitude guitar amps are also well regarded.

They're currently on a Group buy, buy 1 plug-in and get 9 free.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
16 Sep 2019
I have some of the T-Racks plugins.They're good plugins, the newer ones are better than the older ones, I don't use them often because I have other choices I prefer. But they're definitely much better than the shovelware £1 plugins on Pluginboutique. IK's Amplitude guitar amps are also well regarded.

They're currently on a Group buy, buy 1 plug-in and get 9 free.
Thanks man. Yeah the group buy is the reason I’m looking for folk’s opinions.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reddust

16 Sep 2019

I have Amplitube for guitar amp emulation and I am quite happy with it, I think they make quite decent plugins but some years ago I noticed they used a lot of RAM. As I only have Amplitube installed now I can't really say if that problem still persists.
Last edited by reddust on 19 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Lov2sing

16 Sep 2019

I have T-Rack 5 Deluxe and I will say on Reason they work okay but to finish your track in a stand alone software it is really good. The mic modeling is poor, and the Lawson mastering software is good if you use the app to here it in your car.

If I did not own all the TR5 stuff this would be a great time to buy it.

Next Unless they do a big update then the small updates are free.

Lastly they do this sale sometimes twice a year. I can’t tell you to go for it but if you do, then take advantage of the sale.
We make music for a reason

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

I've used T-racks ever since their logo was a dinosaur. Love the Tapes, but I don't believe they're included in the group buy. I have most of their plugins. GUI on all is excellent. Sound is great too, although it's hard to get excited about EQs and compressors. The reverbs are old, but still really good. Saturator X is versatile and worthy of a pick. Stealth Limiter is fantastic. Their SSL emus are good too, but I'm just so used to Waves that I prefer to use those.

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Sep 2019
I've used T-racks ever since their logo was a dinosaur. Love the Tapes, but I don't believe they're included in the group buy. I have most of their plugins. GUI on all is excellent. Sound is great too, although it's hard to get excited about EQs and compressors. The reverbs are old, but still really good. Saturator X is versatile and worthy of a pick. Stealth Limiter is fantastic. Their SSL emus are good too, but I'm just so used to Waves that I prefer to use those.

Yeah the tape ones are in there. How different are they from each other?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

18 Sep 2019

They make good stuff, but quite likely, you already have stuff that works well.

I'm not a fan of the SSL strips. The bus compressor is great but I ended up selling mine (redundancy)

My favorite SSL's are still the mixhub and the original 4000 waves made. After all these years, it's tough to beat.

Oquasec

18 Sep 2019

Back in my day, group buy was just work and a group buys your shit lol
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Best to read this gearslutz thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... s-5-a.html
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

IK Stealth users have iZotope users cry ozone tears :lol: (but if you already have FabFilter Pro-L I suppose you're set...)
Their LA2 (white) is amazing too.
I have multi comp too, nice UI to work with!

I'm happy with the 5 or so that I have, but won't buy in to the 10 for 1 deal. I do not need more EQs or comps. IIRC their reverbs are meh...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

groggy1

18 Sep 2019

T-Racks is wonderful - I've used it since V1, and they work great in Reason now.

SampleTank4, however, isn't so hot. The released version was buggy, and the install process was super-painful (lots of installers to download and run). You can go see the 200 page thread at KVRAudio on SampleTank4.

Btw, I owned SampleTank 1, and I used to like it. I thought that at the time it made a good bread-and-butter set of sounds, with nice Reverbs. But somehow, they bit off more than they can chew for SampleTank4, or something.

Net-net, I really have loved IKMultimedia over many years, and T-Racks is still wonderful.

reggie1979

18 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Best to read this gearslutz thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... s-5-a.html
Never a good idea to watch gearslutz :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Thanks. I’ll check it :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2019

Whoa - listened in on the Tape 24 - insane - instabuy... :D It is the real deal, not a "tape" gimmick with pitch wow flutter silliness. This is what the $30k+ 24-ch tape machines sounded like. (you can a used one for around $5-10k) :geek:

By the way if buy the T-RackS 5 bundle you can get a total of 18 plugins. They got stuff that blows Waves/Slate/UAD/Softube out of the water. :shock:
One week left, if you need mix/mastering stuff, i.e. you cannot get CD mastered quality of you mixes yet, then take a serious look. It won't get better than this. :thumbs_up:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ShawnG

21 Sep 2019

Ik's audio effect plugins are solid, I don't know if they outshine the expensive stuff, but I can attest to them being good enough that I don't feel I need to buy the expensive stuff. I like the Amplitube stuff, but not all of it, and the preset selection is a bit of a PITA. Sampletank and the related libraries (syntronik and Miroslav) are mostly a miss in terms of the operation of the instrument, IMO but they sound alright. The MODO Bass, I don't own yet, but I've heard good things. I have no interest in the MODO drums, so I can't/won't give an opinion.

The group buy covers what I feel their best products are currently so I'd recommend.

Iapetus 9

22 Sep 2019

Been a fan of TRacks since the beginning for mastering in standalone. It's nice to have the plugins in Reason now. AmpliTube has always been meh for me. Something doesn't sound right with it. Too tinny maybe? Their Fender stuff is pretty good, but all the spring verbs suck. YMMV.
38L > 51D every time.

ArcoZ

23 Sep 2019

IK plugins are very high quality plugins. No cheats.
They are comparible to Waves - I believe. I can smell some kind of copying of Waves behavior.
Neve EQ are better than Waves
API EQ are worse than Waves
SSL Comp is a copy of Waves but it's a bit a bit worse.
Tape plugins are better than Waves.
Channel SSL plugins are much worse than Waves.

• Information