Synapse Audio Dune 3 released!

Discuss VST stuff here!
AzureEyes

09 Dec 2018

https://www.synapse-audio.com/dune3.html

Includes wavetable editor and other new stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EnochLight

09 Dec 2018

dune3_transparent_front.png
dune3_transparent_front.png (682.72 KiB) Viewed 7261 times

From the KVR launch thread:

A major evolution of DUNE is finally available: DUNE 3! The new version adds many frequently requested features and comes with a new beautiful Full HD skin (in various sizes)!

Link to the product page:

Screenshots (Large size):
https://www.synapse-audio.com/layout/sc ... .oscva.jpg [Main View/Keyboard]
https://www.synapse-audio.com/layout/sc ... rpmseg.jpg [Arp/MSEG]

Dual filter

The revised filter section in Dune 3 now sports a dual multimode filter plus an insert effect. Different routing modes like serial/parallel and seamless blend via the Balance knob allow for unlimited creative input! New filter types have been added as well, and include zero-delay feedback filters derived from our latest analog modeling technology. For creative applications, new insert effects like the formant/vowel filter or phaser greatly increase the range of sound design possibilities.

Dual Arpeggiator

Two arpeggiator units instead of just one greatly increase the sound design capabilities of DUNE 3. The Arpeggiators can be programmed independently and support both classic Up/Down arps, as well as playing back different sequences or even MIDI files. Furthermore, new features like the Random mode or programmable Arp Hold make the arpeggiator more powerful than ever before!

Improved oscillators

At the heart of DUNE 3 are its powerful oscillator blocks. DUNE 3 supports VA, FM and Wavetable synthesis. With a maximum reserve of 8320 oscillators at full polyphony, DUNE 3 is a true unison monster, unlikely to ever run out of oscillators. New in DUNE 3 is the "Swarm" mode, an evolution of the classic Supersaw oscillator. Each oscillator gets its own subtle modulation in this mode, breathing a lot more life into the sound than possible previously!

Lots of new FX

DUNE 3 offers many new effect algorithms in all categories, Distortion, Dynamics, Chorus, Phaser, EQ, Delay and Reverb. One of the most important additions is the new Equalizer, which sports technology from our GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer rack extension.

Designed as a professional mixing and mastering equalizer, the new EQ offers four bands with high-quality parametric and shelving EQs, plus two additional low- and high cut filters with variable slopes. All filters in the EQ are designed to handle modulation without artifacts, such that the EQ can be used for creative purposes outside the realm of traditional EQ applications.

Another great new effect algorithm is the new Shimmer Hall, an exclusive feature of DUNE 3 - ideal for lush ambient sounds, wonderful pads and leads!

Wavetable Editor

The new Wavetable editor introduced in DUNE 3 is one of the most powerful around. Waveforms can be created via free-hand drawing, segments, a dedicated partial editor or by entering formulas. A variety of functions like morphing, fade in/out, normalize, DC remove, Invert/Reverse make creating new wavetables a breeze. Waveforms and Wavetables can be imported and exported in WAV format and are thus compatible with a wide range of third party software.

Many detail improvements

Other than the major features, DUNE 3 comes with many detail improvements, such as:
  • Undo/Redo for patch editing, as well as the Wavetable Editor
  • MSEG Presets
  • HD Skins
  • Improved polyphonic LFOs, the LFO phase is no longer fixed to zero on each keypress
  • New LFO shape "Random Pulse". Similar to S+H, but random in time
  • "Alternate" source in the Mod Matrix which toggles its state on each keypress
  • "FX Chain Pan" destination in the Mod Matrix allows to pan the two effect busses
  • Performance improvements, some DUNE 2 patches need substantially less CPU
NKS Approved

Like its predecessor, DUNE 3 is NKS-ready. It features support for the LightGuide and its factory library is automatically integrated into Maschine, Komplete Kontrol etc., with all presets properly tagged and a custom parameter map.

DUNE 2 compatibility

Despite the many additions, DUNE 3 is fully patch-compatible with DUNE 2 and contains its entire factory library. Now the total factory library exceeds 1000 patches, all nicely sorted into categories like Arp, Bass, Lead, Pads, Textures etc.

Formats & Pricing

DUNE 3 is available in VST, Audio Unit (32-bit, 64-bit) and AAX (64-bit) formats, for Windows and OS X. It can be purchased for $179 on our shop page, DUNE 2 users can upgrade for only $79:
https://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html

As always a free 30-day trial is available on the product page:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=516207
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

09 Dec 2018

Hmmm... Looks like an update for Dune to be state of the art. The higher numbers of oscillators may be interesting, if someone can hear the difference. The fx and EQ are not new. The most interesting to me is the wave editor, that looks much like that one from Thorn. Hmm...
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

09 Dec 2018

The thread at KVR is... interesting. People seem to complain about the most mundane stuff (its single "call-home" authorization instance at install; one user had the gall to complain that NKS support was included! :lol: ).. just sad, silly stuff. :roll:

I think the update is fantastic. Some don't like the browser, but honestly - I've never used it. I've always used Reason's browser since the preset format is just standard *.fxp patches. Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the stock GUI/UX skin, but it's an improvement over Dune 2's stock skin IMHO. That said, hopefully some nice 3rd party skins will come out for it.

The new 500 presets are pretty bad ass, but I'm a huge fan of single-key "instant song idea" stuff, and its arp and seq sections are full of those. Might not be to everyone's liking, as they lean towards the trance/EDM genre. Anyway, it's a worthy update IMHO. Richard is charging $79 USD to upgrade from earlier versions of Dune to 3, which isn't a bad deal IMHO. That said... hmmm.. If this were an RE, it's vastly more expensive to upgrade than any RE I can think of. I remember Parsec being $39 USD to upgrade from version 1 to 2, and that RE sells for $119 regular price (and it's obviously on sale for the holidays). Synapse didn't put Dune 3 on sale or offer an intro price for the full version, which I think is strange. Missed opportunity, IMHO.

Anyway, it's a great update, IMHO. It's in my rack. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AzureEyes

09 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:The thread at KVR is... interesting. People seem to complain about the most mundane stuff (its single "call-home" authorization instance at install; one user had the gall to complain that NKS support was included! :lol: ).. just sad, silly stuff. :roll:

I think the update is fantastic. Some don't like the browser, but honestly - I've never used it. I've always used Reason's browser since the preset format is just standard *.fxp patches. Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the stock GUI/UX skin, but it's an improvement over Dune 2's stock skin IMHO. That said, hopefully some nice 3rd party skins will come out for it.

The new 500 presets are pretty bad ass, but I'm a huge fan of single-key "instant song idea" stuff, and its arp and seq sections are full of those. Might not be to everyone's liking, as they lean towards the trance/EDM genre. Anyway, it's a worthy update IMHO. Richard is charging $79 USD to upgrade from earlier versions of Dune to 3, which isn't a bad deal IMHO. That said... hmmm.. If this were an RE, it's vastly more expensive to upgrade than any RE I can think of. I remember Parsec being $39 USD to upgrade from version 1 to 2, and that RE sells for $119 regular price (and it's obviously on sale for the holidays). Synapse didn't put Dune 3 on sale or offer an intro price for the full version, which I think is strange. Missed opportunity, IMHO.

Anyway, it's a great update, IMHO. It's in my rack. :)
How's the wavetable engine sound?!

EnochLight

09 Dec 2018

AzureEyes wrote:
09 Dec 2018

It sounds great, but I never really felt wavetable engines have a sound that I can tell a difference between. Serum, Europa, even the engine in Avenger - I couldn't pick them out in a mix. The actual wavetable editor is pretty sweet, though. Probably my favorite on the market, currently.

AzureEyes

09 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
AzureEyes wrote:
09 Dec 2018

It sounds great, but I never really felt wavetable engines have a sound that I can tell a difference between. Serum, Europa, even the engine in Avenger - I couldn't pick them out in a mix. The actual wavetable editor is pretty sweet, though. Probably my favorite on the market, currently.
Dune has a more pleasant sound then Serum tho!

SynthRatings

09 Dec 2018

If you're interested I've made a quick first impressions video about Dune 3 (also posted at KVR) here:

There are a few nice new additions for sure which makes the synth even more powerful than before, but I'm slightly disappointed they didn't do something to improve the user experience of mod matrix.

edit - stereo version now uploaded
Last edited by SynthRatings on 09 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

jayhosking

09 Dec 2018

Ugh. I wish this were a RE. Lots of awesome potential, but I want to be able to easily map/CV things.

miscend

09 Dec 2018

Trying the demo right now. The new sounds are truly impressive even the default patch. I have bought lots of VSTis in the last couple months and I still havent spent much time with Europa. Additionally Massive X is coming out in Feb. So I'm really fighting the urge to pull the trigger on this.

Creativemind

10 Dec 2018

Dune 3 looks / sounds an absolute beast.

Might demo it later.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DonnieAlan

10 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
09 Dec 2018
The thread at KVR is... interesting. People seem to complain about the most mundane stuff (its single "call-home" authorization instance at install; one user had the gall to complain that NKS support was included! :lol: ).. just sad, silly stuff. :roll:
I think some people just like to act like they're super pros or something, and so they have to find something to fuss about...as if that's what REAL pros do! I just tune that kind of nonsense out. You're right, Dune 3 is a fantastic beast, and for an upgrade price for Dune 2 users of only $79, a steal, since you keep both 2 and 3. Frankly, I can't wait to see what additional tweaking I can do with 3 on the patches I created from scratch with 2...among many other things!

adfielding

11 Dec 2018

One of these days I really ought to check Dune out, I've loved everything Synapse have released for Reason so it follows that I'd probably like it :)

Matt van K

12 Dec 2018

I think Dune 3 got some bugs. Some Notes are hang on especially on polyphony heavy patches. In Reason with Maschine open and Dune 3 loaded Reason can completly crash.

my 2 cents:
The advance discussion about Dune3 and the release date(people going mad because of 2 weeks delay) is much more than silly. First Richard(Synapse Audio) is a one man company. Second, Dune 2 still working ;) .
It is an absolutly madness what happen on KVR.
It´s okay if they want to discuss the price or is Dune3 more an 2.8 or even bugs. But it sucks because you read the other bullshit instead of informations you need.

I like Synapse a lot. The effects libary on RE´s is great. I prefer the VST Synths more but i hopfully wait for a well designed simple Supersaw RE
with a good balance between space, big virtual knobs and good CV in and outs(like in PredatorRE)

Edit: The ,,Hardware´´ Rendering is the best realistic Access Virus TI3 version i´ve seen.!

Loque

12 Dec 2018

Matt van K wrote:
12 Dec 2018
I think Dune 3 got some bugs. Some Notes are hang on especially on polyphony heavy patches. In Reason with Maschine open and Dune 3 loaded Reason can completly crash.

my 2 cents:
The advance discussion about Dune3 and the release date(people going mad because of 2 weeks delay) is much more than silly. First Richard(Synapse Audio) is a one man company. Second, Dune 2 still working ;) .
It is an absolutly madness what happen on KVR.
Interesting...i sometimes thought ppl here would rage, but reading somewhere else shows the very good culture on Reasontalk. I also think, rather wait a few weeks longer and get a stable product. And one man alone cannot find all bugs, which thousands of ppl can find... Just to be realistic...
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

12 Dec 2018

Matt van K wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Richard(Synapse Audio) is a one man company.
Actually, it's not just him alone. ;)

Loque

12 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Matt van K wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Richard(Synapse Audio) is a one man company.
He is THE man company ;)
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

12 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
12 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
12 Dec 2018

He is THE man company ;)
:puf_bigsmile:

Despondo
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

adfielding wrote:
11 Dec 2018
One of these days I really ought to check Dune out, I've loved everything Synapse have released for Reason so it follows that I'd probably like it :)
Yes Adam, you must check it out...and if my internet hypnotism jedi mind tricks are working properly on you right now...you WILL make and sell a sound set for Dune 3. LOL!!

SynthRatings

12 Dec 2018

Dune 3 is one of the best synths in terms of audio quality I've ever tried, no doubt about it.
But be aware it is not quite stable yet as mentioned above.

Reason's undo functionality in particular causes problems really quickly, not only freezing the VST but crashing Reason as well.
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

adfielding

14 Dec 2018

Despondo wrote:
12 Dec 2018
adfielding wrote:
11 Dec 2018
Yes Adam, you must check it out...and if my internet hypnotism jedi mind tricks are working properly on you right now...you WILL make and sell a sound set for Dune 3. LOL!!
Haha, the subtle approach - I like it :)

Loque

02 Apr 2020

Its currently on sale for 129. Not as cheap as on BF, but probably one of the lower prices for it.
https://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html
Reason12, Win10

Ulpu

04 Apr 2020

Wow... This just sounds amazing! :shock:

Hard to believe these all sounds come out from the same VST... Very huge amount of different sounds.
And these are all in the factory sound bank that comes with the Dune3?

Electric-Metal

04 Apr 2020

Ulpu wrote:
04 Apr 2020

Yep. if I'm not mistaken, it's all factory sounds. Dune 3 is by far the the "best" synth in my arsenal, and became my go to insantly.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Loque

04 Apr 2020

Ulpu wrote:
04 Apr 2020
Wow... This just sounds amazing! :shock:
Hard to believe these all sounds come out from the same VST... Very huge amount of different sounds.
Its famous for super saw EDM stuff, but it can produce nearly everything. Its a bit quirky here and there, but a really good and fat sounding synth. Worth buying, especially if you do not have big synths. Soundwise it is NOT compareable to simple wavetable synths - it clearly has character!
Reason12, Win10

• Information