Roland Cloud

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

05 Nov 2018

All I really want from Roland in VST format, is a JP-8000/8080! :D
Surely someday they'll do this?

It's interesting a company with such popular analogue hardware synths, makes digital hardware and software emulations of the analogue gear, and won't bother making analogue recreations of the analogue synths.
Yet, with one of the most popular digital synths, they don't make a software version? Isn't that choice and process easier?

And speaking of—and not to get off topic—but when will we have a Prophecy/Z1 VST from Korg?

I feel like so much of what I want in hardware and software are things companies would rather sit on.

fotizimo

05 Nov 2018

mooseharris wrote:
05 Nov 2018

Fotizimo, if you're going to buy just one, I'd say the SH-2, then maybe the Promars. I'd love the System-100M, but maybe another day. I'm also looking to pick up the D-05 having played a friend's D-50.
I just spent the last two hours playing with the SH-101, SH-2, System-100, and Promars... and I really am not sure what these provide beyond my System-1m. I can recreate almost everything the SH-101, SH-2, and Promars can do with the System-1m, or at least come very very close.

I wonder if the various OSCs, LFOs, or filters of the individual synths really sound all that different, but I will leave that question to those with better ears than mine. I do think the SH-2 is the best of the SH-2, SH-101, and Promars options.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

groggy1

05 Nov 2018

mooseharris wrote:
05 Nov 2018
No, you can't. The Plug-Outs listed in the content store are the only ones you can buy straight away, the Roland Cloud ones take a year, and are about £180/$240.

The TR-8 TR-707 expansion only works with the hardware, but the SH-101, SH-2, Promars, System-1 etc. work as VST/AU instruments. The Promars also works as a standalone, and weirdly, is the only one that does.

I had a real SH-101 and Juno-6 back in the early '80s, working two jobs before and after school to buy them. The Plug-Outs of the SH-101 and Juno-106 are faultless, but I was lucky enough to get a free SH-2 Plug-Out and it's the business for analogue bass. The Promars is excellent as well.

The System-1 has the SH-101 for free (although I still bought the SH-01A). The System-8 ships with a Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and JX-3P (again, I bought the Boutique units), and you can add all the Content Store Plug-Outs in place of the 3 that are factory installed. The System-8 is also the default controller for Roland Cloud. It gets complicated if you own a Plug-Out and try to use the Cloud version, as the Authoriser wigs out trying to process two separate licences.

Fotizimo, if you're going to buy just one, I'd say the SH-2, then maybe the Promars. I'd love the System-100M, but maybe another day. I'm also looking to pick up the D-05 having played a friend's D-50.
Your explanation is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I was hoping I could just by the System-8 and get the Roland D-50 on it immediately as a VST, without having to wait 1 year to own it. But sounds like the matrix of what I can get is complicated, and alas I need Roland Cloud to really get Roland D-50.

I was hoping that System-8 was an alternative to permanently owning Roland VSTs without having to wait a year.

mooseharris

06 Nov 2018

groggy1 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I was hoping that System-8 was an alternative to permanently owning Roland VSTs without having to wait a year.
Well, it is, but only the Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and JX-3P. I say only, those are some f***ing awesome synths. You can then add SH-2, SH-101, System-100M and Promars to the collection via content store, at a discount. As I mentioned before, the System-100M is the only one I don't have. Unfortunately, the D-50 is Cloud only at present, but who knows? They gave away the JX-3P as part of the firmware update back in August.

I'll also point out the System-8 is far better than just some shell for mounting Plug-Outs. The latest firmware patch has added 10 variants of FM oscillators, and JP-08, JU-106, harmonic and formant filters to what was an already amazing sounding synth. If I'm totally honest, I use the System-8's built in synth engine far more than I use any of the Plug-Outs, because it's so good.

FM Osc demo here:

Filter demo here:

and the pre-update sounds are here:

mooseharris

06 Nov 2018

fotizimo wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I have found they give a one-time discount for a VST purchase of around $50 USD.
That discount extends to all Content Store Plug-Outs, which also work as VST/AU devices in most DAWs (except Reason). I currently use Ableton Live Lite (free from Roland) to host the VSTs, using Ableton to access the Library features of each VST for loading onto my hardware synths, and then either run Reason in ReWire mode or use the hardware synths as external midi devices..

mooseharris

06 Nov 2018

groggy1 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Your explanation is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
You're most welcome.
groggy1 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I was hoping I could just by the System-8 and get the Roland D-50 on it immediately as a VST, without having to wait 1 year to own it. But sounds like the matrix of what I can get is complicated, and alas I need Roland Cloud to really get Roland D-50.
Unfortunately, yes.
groggy1 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
See the posts above. You get 3 Plug-Outs with the System-8, but not the VST versions. This is where the hardware is useful as an external midi device, as you get 4 brilliant synths for the price of the System-8.

I sound like I should probably start work advertising Roland products, but I've used them across 4 decades and love them despite their, and Roland's, perceived flaws. It's probably why I have Reason despite better DAWS being available; I still love it despite everyone constantly slating it and slagging off the Props for not rebuilding it from scratch.

EnochLight

06 Nov 2018

System-8 is pretty much the first time I’ve wanted to drop bank on a “hardware synth” in like 20 years. I’m seriously considering getting one at some point.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

06 Dec 2018

Thread Resurrection time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roland's "Play 2-4 Life" promo just began for the holidays! Offer ends December 31, 2018...

So apparently if you buy 1 year of Roland Cloud up front for $199 USD, you get two (2) instruments to keep for life! That's less than $100 USD for each plugin, which is actually very tempting deal now.

I could score an actual Roland Juno 106 as well as a Jupiter 8 with actual Roland analog modelling for what I consider a reasonable price for an authentic emulation. Seriously might consider doing this...

https://www.rolandcloud.com/Promo-Details

Anyone else considering this?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

07 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2018

Roland's "Play 2-4 Life" promo just began for the holidays! Offer ends December 31, 2018...

So apparently if you buy 1 year of Roland Cloud up front for $199 USD, you get two (2) instruments to keep for life! That's less than $100 USD for each plugin, which is actually very tempting deal now.

I could score an actual Roland Juno 106 as well as a Jupiter 8 with actual Roland analog modelling for what I consider a reasonable price for an authentic emulation. Seriously might consider doing this...

Damn! That seems to be a good offer. Hate subscriptions, but this might work for me. Thinking... ;)

D.

LarsK

07 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2018

I am now! :shifty:

raymondh

07 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Nov 2018
System-8 is pretty much the first time I’ve wanted to drop bank on a “hardware synth” in like 20 years. I’m seriously considering getting one at some point.
It really is awesome - you need it! :)

The user experience is fantastic, hardly any menu diving, it' all right there in real time controls. Such a fun synth, and it can sound very digital, and very analog.

Sure it doesn't have four LFOs per voice or semi-modular capabilities, but for that programming depth, we have amazing soft synths.

raymondh

07 Dec 2018

LarsK wrote:
07 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2018

The bit I don't like: "keep using TWO instruments* for as long as they’re available in the catalog."
Does that mean if Roland abandon their cloud one day, or they decide to rationalise the Cloud, that we could lose the instruments we thought we'd permanently bought?
hmm...

LarsK

07 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
07 Dec 2018
LarsK wrote:
07 Dec 2018

The bit I don't like: "keep using TWO instruments* for as long as they’re available in the catalog."
Does that mean if Roland abandon their cloud one day, or they decide to rationalise the Cloud, that we could lose the instruments we thought we'd permanently bought?
hmm...
It surely does seems like it. From the full terms of their Holiday promotion:

"You will maintain access to the selected entitlements only for as long as Roland Cloud continues to offer and support that entitlement."

EnochLight

07 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
07 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
06 Nov 2018
It really is awesome - you need it! :)

The user experience is fantastic, hardly any menu diving, it' all right there in real time controls. Such a fun synth, and it can sound very digital, and very analog.

Sure it doesn't have four LFOs per voice or semi-modular capabilities, but for that programming depth, we have amazing soft synths.
Is it multitimbral? Can I access/play multiple presets at the same time? Having been inside DAW/plugins for so long, I have a fundamental issue with dropping bank on hardware that can only play one sound at a time.
raymondh wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Does that mean if Roland abandon their cloud one day, or they decide to rationalize the Cloud, that we could lose the instruments we thought we'd permanently bought?
hmm...
I take it to mean that if Roland Cloud eliminates a "product" (instrument) at any time from the catalog, then you may lose that one even if it was part of the 2 you chose to keep, or if Roland Cloud shuts down (as in their sub business model fails entirely and they retire their servers), you lose them as well.

In other words, nothing new these days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

raymondh

08 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
07 Dec 2018

Is it multitimbral? Can I access/play multiple presets at the same time? Having been inside DAW/plugins for so long, I have a fundamental issue with dropping bank on hardware that can only play one sound at a time.
It's bi-timbral. Apparently, because I've never done it. (https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/roland-system-8).

ztevil

24 Jul 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
28 Oct 2018

Yes
Well crap. That sucks (for Roland).
Yep (for Roland)

joeyluck

02 Apr 2020

Just realized that I never gave this a try.

Got a little more free time, so I'm checking out the 30 day trial of Roland Cloud. Seems like plenty to explore.

Of course, these are AU and VST3 only (at least on macOS), so looks like I have to try them in Logic and Bitwig...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

I talked to the Roland Cloud guy at NAMM, he said buying VSTs would come sooner than later. Not sure if he meant buy the VSTs outright or getting a free VSTs for a year of subscription. But still haven't seen them do this...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Buy the JP6K VST, that's it...

joeyluck

02 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
02 Apr 2020
I talked to the Roland Cloud guy at NAMM, he said buying VSTs would come sooner than later. Not sure if he meant buy the VSTs outright or getting a free VSTs for a year of subscription. But still haven't seen them do this...
I was wondering about that. I thought I had seen it in the past that you could keep 1 or 2 after subscribing for a year. After doing some searching, seems like maybe it was only a promo at the time? Maybe they don't offer that anymore?

But just buying them outright would be nice. Albeit, Reason would need VST3 or AU support for me to be able to use them in Reason...

joeyluck

02 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
02 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Others have said that nobody has quite gotten the supersaw right yet. But I've never been able to try that one, since there is no macOS version.

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Boombastix wrote:
02 Apr 2020

Others have said that nobody has quite gotten the supersaw right yet. But I've never been able to try that one, since there is no macOS version.
For the longest time I've told anyone who wants a JP-8080/8000 emlulation to try HIVE, because it comes 99.9% close to the JP supersaw and especially the way the filter and resonance behave on the JP. I know this because I spent HOURS re-creating the patches from my JP-8080 as HIVE patches. At one point during this process, when I left my desk to go do something upstairs and then came back to my mac, my screensaver had kicked in and I couldn't see what my controller was triggering. I couldn't tell if I was playing the hardware or Hive. It is ridiculously close and if you have HIVE I can send you some presets.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

eusti

02 Apr 2020

hurricane wrote:
02 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
02 Apr 2020

For the longest time I've told anyone who wants a JP-8080/8000 emlulation to try HIVE, because it comes 99.9% close to the JP supersaw and especially the way the filter and resonance behave on the JP. I know this because I spent HOURS re-creating the patches from my JP-8080 as HIVE patches. At one point during this process, when I left my desk to go do something upstairs and then came back to my mac, my screensaver had kicked in and I couldn't see what my controller was triggering. I couldn't tell if I was playing the hardware or Hive. It is ridiculously close and if you have HIVE I can send you some presets.
Would love those presets! 😊

D.

joeyluck

02 Apr 2020

hurricane wrote:
02 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
02 Apr 2020

I don't have Hive, but maybe I can try the presets with the demo? Putting together a library of JP8000 sounds for Hive might interest a lot of people.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
02 Apr 2020
hurricane wrote:
02 Apr 2020

I don't have Hive, but maybe I can try the presets with the demo? Putting together a library of JP8000 sounds for Hive might interest a lot of people.
U-he Diva has the JP8000 oscillator module with Supersaw. I believe it is very very accurate. Though I do not find many patches recreating the JP patches. Most seem to do retro sounds Obx, Juno etc for Diva.

• Information