Thorn: Dmitry Sches' Spectral PolySynth Free with this month's Computer Music 257

Discuss VST stuff here!
stratatonic

22 May 2018

If you're into that kind of thing....

Features:

Exclusive CM version of the powerful spectral synthesiser

Up to 16-voice polyphony, plus Mono and Legato modes with Glide
2 x spectral synthesis oscillators, with Sub oscillator per oscillator
Up to 8x unison (plus detune) per oscillator
Harmonic Editor - draw your own partials per oscillator
Choose one of eight Spectral Effects (Phaser, Screamer, Wah, Notch, Shift, Comb, Octaves, Primes) or one of five Real-Time Effects (FM, RM, Sync, W-Sync and PWM) per oscillator
Sample-based noise oscillator, plus the ability to import your own samples
Harmonic Filter with Harmonic Editor
Multimode analogue-modelled filter with 12 filter types, Resonance and Drive
Intuitive drag-and-drop modulation, plus dedicated Mod Matrix
3 x ADSR envelopes
3 x LFOs
2 x Multistage Envelope Generators (MSEGs) for custom modulation shapes
Flexible 16-step Arpeggiator with MIDI output
Creative grid-based Glitch Sequencer featuring six unique effects
Four built-in effects – multimode Distortion, Delay, 3-band EQ and Reverb
Output stage features Limiter, Boost and Lo Cut
Comes with 167 categorised presets, plus exclusive CM patches
Includes Thorn CM user manual
PC/Mac, VST/VST3/AU/AAX

Thorn CM has the following limitations compared to the full Thorn:

2 oscillators instead of 3
1 filter instead of 2
4 effects instead of 9
Less filter models

danc

22 May 2018

I've been using THORN CM for the last week and it truly is a powerful synth. Not sure the extra features warrant paying for it - as the 2 OSCs certainly make my studio rumble!
Check my Soundcloud:

Zac

22 May 2018

Thanks. That will be the right copy of cm to buy. He's a talented guy. I'll be glad to have his synth whatever the restrictions.

danc

22 May 2018

Zac wrote:
22 May 2018
Thanks. That will be the right copy of cm to buy. He's a talented guy. I'll be glad to have his synth whatever the restrictions.
Usually - the CM version restrictions are so restricting that you really quickly wish you upgraded. Nowhere near that thought yet for this one!

When CM reviewed Thorn a few months ago they ended the review with "Where it breaks new ground is in that innovative combination of spectral synthesis and wavetable-style ‘framing’ - a setup that works beautifully - and the amazing Glitch Sequencer. While edgy digital basses, leads, keys and FX are high on the agenda, it’s in its endless potential for unique pads, bonkers sequences and other modulation-heavy noises that Thorn is most engaging, inviting artistic experimentation while remaining admirably easy to program. A new classic in waiting."

I totally agree with them - it really is a classic in waiting. It's a shame it hasn't caught the mainstream attention yet. Or maybe that's to our advantage!
Check my Soundcloud:

Zac

22 May 2018

danc wrote:
22 May 2018
Zac wrote:
22 May 2018
Usually - the CM version restrictions are so restricting that you really quickly wish you upgraded. Nowhere near that thought yet for this one!

When CM reviewed Thorn a few months ago they ended the review with "Where it breaks new ground is in that innovative combination of spectral synthesis and wavetable-style ‘framing’ - a setup that works beautifully - and the amazing Glitch Sequencer. While edgy digital basses, leads, keys and FX are high on the agenda, it’s in its endless potential for unique pads, bonkers sequences and other modulation-heavy noises that Thorn is most engaging, inviting artistic experimentation while remaining admirably easy to program. A new classic in waiting."

I totally agree with them - it really is a classic in waiting. It's a shame it hasn't caught the mainstream attention yet. Or maybe that's to our advantage!
I think he's innovative. I love tantra.

CephaloPod

23 May 2018

If this was an RE for $29, everyone would be going crazy over it. This is FREE?
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Loque

23 May 2018

Thx for the hint. I have Spectra, but i will give this thing a try since it has some modifiers, which would be a nice addition to Spectra. Also the Noise-Sample loading and wave-table-scrolling seems to be interesting.
Reason12, Win10

eusti

23 May 2018

Loque wrote:
23 May 2018
Thx for the hint. I have Spectra, but i will give this thing a try since it has some modifiers, which would be a nice addition to Spectra. Also the Noise-Sample loading and wave-table-scrolling seems to be interesting.
Fascinated by the glitch sequencer as well! ;)

D.

antic604

23 May 2018

Loque wrote:
23 May 2018
Spectra is (seems?) much more complex & definitely not as approachable from the point of view of the UI.

I got full Thorn VST shortly after it was released at 50% price ($60) and it's well worth it, although I noticed it's one of those few VSTs of which I can run significantly fewer instances in Reason than I can in Bitwig or Live :(

Loque

23 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
23 May 2018
Spectra is (seems?) much more complex & definitely not as approachable from the point of view of the UI.
I did not made a full check, but what i can say so far from the videos i noticed the following:
* Thorn has one harmonic Filter, which can be wipped, lots of spectrum details (512 maybe)
* Spectra has two which can be morphed (256 spectra)

* Thorn has 2 filters of different type
* Spectra does not have any

* Thorn has a noise generator with sample loading
* Spectra has only white noise

* Thorn can resynthisze
* Spectra can do this too or can edit one

* Thorn has a sub oscilator
* Spectra does not have one, but you can emulate it by using the 1-harmonic modifier or morph it to the subbed-sound

* Thorn can edit 256 (i guess) partials of the oscillator with phase offset
* Spectra can this too, but also has some DADSR envelope for the harmonic, but not phase offset (only through delay, which is hard to edit)

* Thorn has a wave view and scroll through a smoothed table
* Spectra does no wave view, and no scolling. But it is the same as morphing between two spectra and Spectra can morph between 9 AFAIR

* Thorn has modifiers/modulators for the sound
* Spectra does not have any, but it can be replicated (but not modulated) with morphing

I do not care much about sequencers or buildin effects, so i dont compare them.

Both are quite powerful regarding features. I will see or hear how Thorn sounds, compared to Spectra. The price, well 4 bucks for Thorn is cheap...i feel a bit like a thief.

I hope we will see some updates in future for Spectra. With this offer i now become aware of Dmitry...
Reason12, Win10

fieldframe
RE Developer

23 May 2018

This is incredibly impressive for a magazine pack-in. I'll have to stop by my local bookstore this evening and see if the newsstand has it.

Loque

26 May 2018

Excellent device. Here and there you can hear that it is an additive synth, but thats ok, increase oversampling and turn the filter on and you are done. Sounds very good. Very good presets on board. The effects are also high quality. The mod matrix has 3 pages ( :lol: :thumbs_up: ) and you can control nearly everything and give your sounds punch with the distortion or filter overdrive. The subs are very good. The workflow is very fast. Sersiously, paying only 4 bucks for it make me feel like i am a thief. It is worth the 130 or something like this bucks.

Did not tried everything yet, but this thing is pretty fast, sound excellent, good fx, easy and fast programming, very good patches. I recommend to get this device. Nice addition to your additive arsenal. Only 4 bucks is a joke and the "limitations" are a joke as well...I hope this dev will be successfull and creates more of those high quality devices.

It also has an audio input, but seems like i cannot use it somehow...
Reason12, Win10

fotizimo

26 May 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
23 May 2018
If this was an RE for $29, everyone would be going crazy over it. This is FREE?
This is my exact sentiments! If this was a new RE people would be drooling over this. Within 10 minutes of installing this, I had 5 new sounds built from the init patch that I can instantly use. It feels like Waldorf's Nave, but with an interface so much easier to use.

I trialed Brazile CM when it came out through Computer Magazine, and as soon as possible I bought the full version. This reminds me so much of that experience. I will buy the full version (while it is discounted), and grab some of the sound packs available.

This literally has so many modulation options, I think it might be up there with some of the bigger names.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

EnochLight

26 May 2018

I demo'd this when it first came out. Did he ever fix the preset browser? When it was first released, you couldn't use your QWERTY keyboard arrows to advance/reverse through the presets to demo them. Had to use your mouse to click through, which is a deal-breaker for me.

Can anyone confirm that this works?

Back when it first came out last year, I brought this issue up to the dev but he seemed unwilling to even admit it was an issue:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p6900556
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

26 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 May 2018
I demo'd this when it first came out. Did he ever fix the preset browser? When it was first released, you couldn't use your QWERTY keyboard arrows to advance/reverse through the presets to demo them. Had to use your mouse to click through, which is a deal-breaker for me.

Back when it first came out last year, I brought this issue up to the dev but he seemed unwilling to even admit it was an issue:

Works on my side.
works.jpg
works.jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
26 May 2018
EnochLight wrote:
26 May 2018

Works on my side.

works.jpg
Nice; thanks! Yeah, I just read in the changelog that he added that in 1.03. Glad to see he took my advice to heart. Will definitely give this another spin!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

26 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 May 2018
Loque wrote:
26 May 2018

Works on my side.

works.jpg
Nice; thanks! Yeah, I just read in the changelog that he added that in 1.03. Glad to see he took my advice to heart. Will definitely give this another spin!
You requested it, you got it, now buy it! :-P
Reason12, Win10

jimmyklane

26 May 2018

stratatonic wrote:
22 May 2018
If you're into that kind of thing....

Features:

Exclusive CM version of the powerful spectral synthesiser

Up to 16-voice polyphony, plus Mono and Legato modes with Glide
2 x spectral synthesis oscillators, with Sub oscillator per oscillator
Up to 8x unison (plus detune) per oscillator
Harmonic Editor - draw your own partials per oscillator
Choose one of eight Spectral Effects (Phaser, Screamer, Wah, Notch, Shift, Comb, Octaves, Primes) or one of five Real-Time Effects (FM, RM, Sync, W-Sync and PWM) per oscillator
Sample-based noise oscillator, plus the ability to import your own samples
Harmonic Filter with Harmonic Editor
Multimode analogue-modelled filter with 12 filter types, Resonance and Drive
Intuitive drag-and-drop modulation, plus dedicated Mod Matrix
3 x ADSR envelopes
3 x LFOs
2 x Multistage Envelope Generators (MSEGs) for custom modulation shapes
Flexible 16-step Arpeggiator with MIDI output
Creative grid-based Glitch Sequencer featuring six unique effects
Four built-in effects – multimode Distortion, Delay, 3-band EQ and Reverb
Output stage features Limiter, Boost and Lo Cut
Comes with 167 categorised presets, plus exclusive CM patches
Includes Thorn CM user manual
PC/Mac, VST/VST3/AU/AAX

Thorn CM has the following limitations compared to the full Thorn:

2 oscillators instead of 3
1 filter instead of 2
4 effects instead of 9
Less filter models
Bought the issue on my iPhone. As usual the articles are completely useless since they refuse to take things beyond the absolute beginner level (which is fine for a beginner!!!) however the plugin seems to be interesting. I own a Blofeld, which is an interesting instrument that I don’t really get a ton of use from because it’s so digital in its sound and nature...this synth seems to have some great EP and pad sounds that you can coax from it without too much trouble. Since I’m kind of on an 80’s type kick (synthwave maybe?) right now I’m using a lot of analog synths and sounds to give that lush sound that was part of that decade.

Anyone have any new patches they would like to share? I’ll try and make a bank of sounds for people to try out, but I’m not sure if user samples are saved with the patch? Anyone know if it’s just a pointer to the file or a copy of the media?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

EnochLight

26 May 2018

There's a 30% off coupon in CM, which brings it down from $119 USD to $84 USD. Still a bit more than the intro price (which was $69 at launch), but not too bad. I've blown $15 on worse - Lol!

Might pick this up, if anything - for the presets alone make it a great soundbank addition.

*EDIT:

Wait.. WHAT? Dmitry's math seems to be bunk. 30% off of $119 USD is $35.70, not $30. :(

THORN_wtf.JPG
THORN_wtf.JPG (143.61 KiB) Viewed 6580 times

stratatonic

26 May 2018

Well, I crashed ThornCM twice and it took down Reason with it both times. That was on my first day of testing. Since then, I have saved every 10 seconds, but haven't had any problems since.

You can click on the ThornCM Computer Music logo on the top left of the plugin, and it will bring up a GUI size option.
jimmyklane wrote:
26 May 2018
Bought the issue on my iPhone. As usual the articles are completely useless since they refuse to take things beyond the absolute beginner level (which is fine for a beginner!!!) however the plugin seems to be interesting.
There's a user manual in the zip file.
jimmyklane wrote:
26 May 2018
I’m not sure if user samples are saved with the patch? Anyone know if it’s just a pointer to the file or a copy of the media?
I loaded a noise sample for a patch from my desktop. I then put the sample in another folder - the patch opened up with noise sample.
Last edited by stratatonic on 26 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

eusti

26 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 May 2018
*EDIT:

Wait.. WHAT? Dmitry's math seems to be bunk. 30% off of $119 USD is $35.70, not $30. :(
Yeah, the math is wonky... But in CM they mention the final price being $ 89.00...

D.

jimmyklane

26 May 2018

stratatonic wrote:
26 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
26 May 2018
I’m not sure if user samples are saved with the patch? Anyone know if it’s just a pointer to the file or a copy of the media?
I loaded a noise sample for a patch from my desktop. I then put the sample in another folder - the patch opened up with noise sample.
Awesome thank you! I’ll make a preset bank for everyone here that has the CM version.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

EnochLight

27 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
26 May 2018
Awesome thank you! I’ll make a preset bank for everyone here that has the CM version.
Bonus for us full-version owners: any patches made in the CM version can be opened in the full version! :)

I ended up picking up Thorn. I reached out to Dmitry, and he was very gracious. Couldn't say no to this synth, especially seeing as how he addressed my biggest complaint in the 1.03 update (Added support for preset switching with Up(Left) and Down(Right) arrow keys).

Anyone know of any 3rd party libraries for Thorn that I should look at? The factory presets are already pretty damn awesome, but there's not a lot.

Loque

27 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
27 May 2018
Anyone know of any 3rd party libraries for Thorn that I should look at? The factory presets are already pretty damn awesome, but there's not a lot.
You checked the website? There are also some free available.
https://dmitrysches.com/sounds/sounds-thorn
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

02 Jun 2018

I bought Computer Music to get this, and I was having a right nice jam with it last night. I find it to be a very inspiring synth, intuitive, fun, lots to explore. The effects are really good! There's lots of thorny filthy nastiness to be had, but it does the clean sparklies just as well. I really clicked with it, more than I did with eXpanse OR Europa (and I appreciate that they are not really comparable, and that it might just have been a particularly creative mood I was in, but still.)
Glad I decided to make the effort.

• Information