What to test: VST support

Reason 9.5 Bug/Issue forum
WongoTheSane

Post 19 May 2017

dualmann wrote:No idea if I in reason the path to the vst indicate where the dll dates are, it is not displayed to me in reason. What is also comic, which my other vst triple are indicated in reason.
It's in Preferences, "Advanced" tab:
vstfolder.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

geronimo

Post 19 May 2017

antaane wrote:Is it possible to import Plugins from logic such as space designer?
If they are under VST version, why not ?

ljekio

Post 20 May 2017

Is there planned to support VST without a GUI?

matthewg

Post 20 May 2017

geronimo wrote:
antaane wrote:Is it possible to import Plugins from logic such as space designer?
If they are under VST version, why not ?
As far as I understand, this isn't possible. Logic, Pro Tools, and Studio One (plus the rest of the DAWs) each have their own set of "native" plugins that are only useable within their own program. I've messed with Reaper in the past, and I believe this is the exception that allows their internal tools to be loaded into other programs.

Logic is my primary and Space Designer is one of my favorite reverb plugins. Too bad it can't be used by other programs, but I think it sort of makes sense for the developers to keep some tech proprietary or "in house" so to speak.

I'll still use Logic for video and notation, but words cannot express how happy I am that Reason now has VSTs. Having a blast testing for the past few days.

VRDate

Post 20 May 2017

Looking very good so far,
I tested the following VST Plug-ins:
http://www.soundsonline.com/Goliath
http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Choirs
http://www.soundsonline.com/Forest-Kingdom-2
http://store.steampowered.com/app/241790/Z3TA_2/
All loaded fine with screen shot and played nicely with Players and Effects can't wait for the official release.

platzangst

Post 20 May 2017

I have so far loaded Izotope Breaktweaker and AAS Chrompahone with no problems, and also have taken snapshots. All of my other plugins seem to be at least registering with Reason fine, except one. As I get to them I'll relay my findings.

The exception is Accusonus Regroover (and Regroover Pro), which Reason tells me either would not load or caused Reason to hang. I have not yet tried to force it to load.

I also think I have not installed the logging version. Windows 10, AMD chip.

platzangst

Post 21 May 2017

I've tried the Zynaptiq Morph plugin, and while the routing and processing of the VST works fine (it takes two audio inputs and Reason makes them available), the interface seems off, in that the controls are hard to move, in particular the center X/Y field, where one controls the morphing parameter. The cursor/bullseye only moves slightly when one clicks and drags on it, and swift movements get more reaction than slow ones. It's as if it loses its "grip" moments after one holds the button down.

Stevegriggs

Post 21 May 2017

Testing the Arturia CS80 VST with Reason. 9 instances of this VST actually have a lower CPU overhead than the Korg Mono/Poly RE. Impressive. No sound artifacts or any problems noted so far. Seems to be very well behaved. :thumbs_up: for Propellerheads developers.
Last edited by Stevegriggs on 21 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Stevegriggs

Post 21 May 2017

Assuming if VST's are not in the correct format (2.4 64 bit) Reason will not find them and load them into the browser? Makes sense but I would just like to be sure on this.

geronimo

Post 21 May 2017

ljekio

Post 22 May 2017

geronimo wrote:Image
This means that vsti haven't host automation, only midi. But with midi at 9.5 for the time being is no options.

geronimo

Post 22 May 2017

ljekio wrote:This means that vsti haven't host automation, only midi. But with midi at 9.5 for the time being is no options.
Yes, sorry for the few comments: I could not explain.
I just found another one at fXpansion.

ljekio

Post 22 May 2017

It already looks like a bug. Either a plug-in, or vst-device in Reason.

platzangst

Post 22 May 2017

The Zynaptiq Adaptiverb plugin has a similar problem to Morph, in that the controls don't work particularly well. One can click on a slider, for example, and have the slider "jump" to the position where one clicked, but "sliding" the thing is impossible. I don't know if this is a thing that would be detected and logged in the logging version.

TheRugged01

Post 24 May 2017

my beta test is only recognizing one of my hundreds of vsts. theyre all in the same folder too.any ideas?

ljekio

Post 24 May 2017

TheRugged01 wrote:my beta test is only recognizing one of my hundreds of vsts. theyre all in the same folder too.any ideas?
32 bit?

Oquasec

Post 24 May 2017

For automating vsts [another way] emi and minihosto modular/savihost etc.
But it has the options for most vst 2+ plugins.

Been in here for bout 5 days tinkering with random stuff and found alotta common areas for vsts to pop up in [Not much to remember, but jesus]
Program Files/Vstplugins.
Program Files/Steinberg.
Program Files/Cakewalk [Omnisphere's default location?]
Program Files/Common Files.
Program Files/Ample Sound.
Program Files/Native Instruments [Kontakt]
Program Files/Image Line
Producer/Sound Designer.
Anything works.

deathdisco

Post 26 May 2017

matthewg wrote: As far as I understand, this isn't possible.
As a VST plugin developer let me tell you this is crazy and wrong. Most of my plugins are GUI-less and there are many out there that are (check out airwindows - his ENTIRE RANGE are gui-less). Good, low performance no nonsense plugins don't drag around a gui with them. Mapping by manually dragging a little gui control is such a silly way to do it.

I'm pretty bummed reason doesn't properly support this. None of my plugs expose params.

matthewg

Post 26 May 2017

deathdisco wrote:
matthewg wrote: As far as I understand, this isn't possible.
As a VST plugin developer let me tell you this is crazy and wrong.
Crazy and wrong?
If you can run Space Designer in another DAW outside of Logic, please enlighten me.

Also Logic's sampler EXS24 or synth ES2 outside of Logic.
Fat Channel or RC500 (channel strips) outside of Studio One.

I would love to use all of my favorite tools from the individual DAWs, but each one seems to have some that do not function outside of their individual programs. Not sure how taking one sentence out of my reply about Space Designer relates to GUI-less plugins.

phaza

Post 27 May 2017

ljekio wrote:Is there planned to support VST without a GUI?
Would like to know this too.

Ankh77

Post 10 Apr 2018

platzangst wrote:
21 May 2017
I've tried the Zynaptiq Morph plugin, and while the routing and processing of the VST works fine (it takes two audio inputs and Reason makes them available), the interface seems off, in that the controls are hard to move, in particular the center X/Y field, where one controls the morphing parameter. The cursor/bullseye only moves slightly when one clicks and drags on it, and swift movements get more reaction than slow ones. It's as if it loses its "grip" moments after one holds the button down.
Hi,

Can I ask you how did you get Morph to work in Reason?

My Zynaptiq VST's don't show up in my effects list...

Thanks for your help.

platzangst

Post 11 Apr 2018

Ankh77 wrote:
10 Apr 2018

Hi,

Can I ask you how did you get Morph to work in Reason?

My Zynaptiq VST's don't show up in my effects list...

Thanks for your help.
I don't recall doing anything special to get the VSTs to show up in Reason, but then again I usually make a point of installing my VSTs in particular locations wherever possible.

It may be that your installation of Reason isn't "looking" for your Zynaptiq VSTs in the right place. Reason by default looks in one or two typical hard drive locations for VSTs, and if you have VSTs installed anywhere other than those locations, you need to go into Reason's settings and manually enter the folder locations where those VSTs are. In a Windows machine, for example, a typical VST location would be something like "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins" or even "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins". But Zynaptiq may have installed your plugins in some other location, such as "C:\Program Files\Zynaptiq", and if it did, Reason may not know to look there for VSTs, until you tell it to.

If that doesn't help, then the only other thing I can think of is that you might have a 32-bit instead of a 64-bit installation of the plugins, in which case Reason wouldn't see them at all.

• Information