What to test: VST support

Reason 9.5 Bug/Issue forum
skatebird

Post 28 Apr 2017

Reason supports VST 2.4 only. When launching Reason, it will scan your disk for VSTs in the standard folders. You can also add custom folders to scan in Preferences.

In Reason, the VSTs appear in the Device palette and Create menus side-by-side with the built-in devices and REs. VSTs will be added to Instruments/Effects/Utilities depending on what they report to Reason. Creating, auto-routing etc should work exactly the same.

The VST will load in a Plug-in Rack Device. This has an open button that opens the VST Window. The VST Window has four buttons:
  • Pin - for keeping the VST open even when selecting other devices in the rack/sequencer
  • Learn Automation - to target VST parameters for automation
  • Learn Remote - to target VST parameters for Remote
  • Take Snapshot - to take a selfie of the VST for the Plug-In Rack Device and Device Palette :)
The Plug-in Rack Device has an expandable CV Programmer where you can map 8 CV inputs to VST parameters.

How to test VST support:
  • Verify that all your installed VST 2.4 plugins are available in Reason. Check the Manage Plugin window if any VST is disabled/Crashed .
  • Create and open all your installed VSTs at least once. The Usage Statistics in Reason sends us valuable info on each VST (number of inputs, parameters etc).
  • Take Snapshots for all your VSTs. Some VSTs create white images only, please report these.
  • If the VST has resizable GUI, please test this. The Reason VST window should adjust accordingly. We know that there are some bugs related to this.
  • Test that auto routing works correctly, especially for mono/stereo FX. Also when replacing a VST with another VST.
  • Test that the VST sounds as expected (crackles, levels, mono/stereo etc)
  • Automation of VST parameters. All parameters are listed in a “Global” submenu in the sequencer, and you can also record them directly from the VST window.
  • CV control of VST parameters.
  • Saving and reloading songs and Combinator patches containing VSTs.
  • Undo should work just like for a RE, for automatable parameters. Some VST create of unnecessary undo steps though.
  • Please remember that the logging beta builds are MUCH SLOWER than the release versions. You can't compare performance (number of VSTs you can create, GUI snappiness etc) with other VST hosts. We will release non-logging builds towards the end of the beta period.
I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it. - John Cage

joeyluck

Post 28 Apr 2017

Where are the snapshots stored on macOS? I'm displaying hidden files and browsing in all the places I know to browse...

skatebird

Post 28 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:Where are the snapshots stored on macOS? I'm displaying hidden files and browsing in all the places I know to browse...
~/Library/Caches/Reason
I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it. - John Cage

joeyluck

Post 28 Apr 2017

skatebird wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Where are the snapshots stored on macOS? I'm displaying hidden files and browsing in all the places I know to browse...
~/Library/Caches/Reason
Thanks!

antaane

Post 05 May 2017

Crystal-Green Oak Software. Its loaded in the window but has no cv parameters to assign to. It is an ancient plugin however it has many parametres internally , but nothing learns when auditioned.

antaane

Post 05 May 2017

Is it possible to import Plugins from logic such as space designer?

JiggyWig

Post 05 May 2017

I'm not having any issue controlling Crystal with CV. ( OS X. I've successfully been wibbling my voice 1 params with pulsar LFOs )

bunja

Post 05 May 2017

is the CPU usage meant to be high on these betas than the final release? because i'm getting cracks and pops on camel audio alchemy player and kontakt player , but not on Xln Audio addictive keys cheers

WongoTheSane

Post 05 May 2017

bunja wrote:is the CPU usage meant to be high on these betas than the final release? because i'm getting cracks and pops on camel audio alchemy player and kontakt player , but not on Xln Audio addictive keys cheers
Yes, these are logging versions, which means that the processor spends quite some time writing logs (for testing purposes) instead of actually playing audio. The non-logging versions will be made available towards the end of May.

bunja

Post 05 May 2017

cool cheers bud

antaane

Post 09 May 2017

JiggyWig wrote:I'm not having any issue controlling Crystal with CV. ( OS X. I've successfully been wibbling my voice 1 params with pulsar LFOs )
No i am getting nothing coming up in the cv programmer. Reason 9.5d222 is the version I'm testing. Is this the same one for you?
Also, Waves plugins/C1 Comps have no sidechain in/out .How do I get around that, besides using M-class Comp, any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ljekio

Post 12 May 2017

Does anyone have automation/remote in Kontakt?
For me not learn, not automation, not remote.

WongoTheSane

Post 12 May 2017

ljekio wrote:Does anyone have automation/remote in Kontakt?
For me not learn, not automation, not remote.
Both work here. In the programmer, the controllers appear as "#001", "#002", "#003", but I can use Learn, set the base value, etc. Which instrument have you tried this with?

ljekio

Post 12 May 2017

WongoTheSane wrote: Both work here. In the programmer, the controllers appear as "#001", "#002", "#003", but I can use Learn, set the base value, etc. Which instrument have you tried this with?
Any instrument. Buttons "automate" and "remote" not work and manual set of controllers in the programmer (#001, #002 etc) not affected knobs with appropriate assignments.
Only performance unassignable controls like breath and expression can works.
Win7 64, Kontakt 5.6.6
Last edited by ljekio on 12 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

Post 12 May 2017

ljekio wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote: Both work here. In the programmer, the controllers appear as "#001", "#002", "#003", but I can use Learn, set the base value, etc. Which instrument have you tried this with?
Any instrument. Buttons "automate" and "remote" not work and manual set of controllers in the programmer (#001, #002 etc) not affected knobs with appropriate assignments.
Only performance unassignable controls like breath and expression can works.
Mmmhh... Have you updated to d228? Here I am using automation (through Pulsar) to move the "Dynamic Range" knob, and I'm moving the "Resonances" knob through remoting a fader on my keyboard:
remote.gif
I'm doing this on The Grandeur but from what I can tell, I can do this on any Kontakt instrument (I haven't tested them all though).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ljekio

Post 12 May 2017

WongoTheSane wrote: I'm doing this on The Grandeur but from what I can tell, I can do this on any Kontakt instrument (I haven't tested them all though).
I found instruments with working automations. Its dont work with old libraries...

WongoTheSane

Post 12 May 2017

ljekio wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote: I'm doing this on The Grandeur but from what I can tell, I can do this on any Kontakt instrument (I haven't tested them all though).
I found instruments with working automations. Its dont work with old libraries...
Maybe they don't expose their parameters, if it's the case, there's not much Reason can do... :(

ljekio

Post 12 May 2017

WongoTheSane wrote: Maybe they don't expose their parameters, if it's the case, there's not much Reason can do... :(
Not only old - new sample modeling libs (trumpet 3, trombone 3, enc) cannot remotable too.

WongoTheSane

Post 12 May 2017

ljekio wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote: Maybe they don't expose their parameters, if it's the case, there's not much Reason can do... :(
Not only old - new sample modeling libs (trumpet 3, trombone 3, enc) cannot remotable too.
Ah, I don't have them. It says they're automatable on their site though, so if I were you I would file a report...

https://www.propellerheads.se/betatest/ ... n=bug_form

ljekio

Post 13 May 2017

I have a hunch about it.
Where internal VST control routing is used, all is well. If the plug-in takes direct MIDI from the controller (there are still numbers of the corresponding controllers) - nothing works. Even if the keyboard can transfer these midi-CC. I wrote a report about Kontakt, but now I see that the problem is deeper and not only at this plugin.

WongoTheSane

Post 13 May 2017

ljekio wrote:
I have a hunch about it.
Where internal VST control routing is used, all is well. If the plug-in takes direct MIDI from the controller (there are still numbers of the corresponding controllers) - nothing works. Even if the keyboard can transfer these midi-CC. I wrote a report about Kontakt, but now I see that the problem is deeper and not only at this plugin.
I think you're right, PH said that MIDI wouldn't be supported in this version...

dualmann

Post 14 May 2017

Hi, I just want to use EastWest Symphonic Choirs in reason. Does not seem to be supported.

petewaugh

Post 15 May 2017

I've been using EastWest with no issues so far.

dualmann

Post 16 May 2017

No idea if I in reason the path to the vst indicate where the dll dates are, it is not displayed to me in reason. What is also comic, which my other vst triple are indicated in reason.

kitekrazy

Post 19 May 2017

Scans went fine for me. Just like with R9 beta I will have to probably bow out and wait for the official release. I have about 200mb of error logs. I guess my machines don't like Reason betas.

• Information