In Reason, the VSTs appear in the Device palette and Create menus side-by-side with the built-in devices and REs. VSTs will be added to Instruments/Effects/Utilities depending on what they report to Reason. Creating, auto-routing etc should work exactly the same.
The VST will load in a Plug-in Rack Device. This has an open button that opens the VST Window. The VST Window has four buttons:
- Pin - for keeping the VST open even when selecting other devices in the rack/sequencer
- Learn Automation - to target VST parameters for automation
- Learn Remote - to target VST parameters for Remote
- Take Snapshot - to take a selfie of the VST for the Plug-In Rack Device and Device Palette
How to test VST support:
- Verify that all your installed VST 2.4 plugins are available in Reason. Check the Manage Plugin window if any VST is disabled/Crashed .
- Create and open all your installed VSTs at least once. The Usage Statistics in Reason sends us valuable info on each VST (number of inputs, parameters etc).
- Take Snapshots for all your VSTs. Some VSTs create white images only, please report these.
- If the VST has resizable GUI, please test this. The Reason VST window should adjust accordingly. We know that there are some bugs related to this.
- Test that auto routing works correctly, especially for mono/stereo FX. Also when replacing a VST with another VST.
- Test that the VST sounds as expected (crackles, levels, mono/stereo etc)
- Automation of VST parameters. All parameters are listed in a “Global” submenu in the sequencer, and you can also record them directly from the VST window.
- CV control of VST parameters.
- Saving and reloading songs and Combinator patches containing VSTs.
- Undo should work just like for a RE, for automatable parameters. Some VST create of unnecessary undo steps though.
- Please remember that the logging beta builds are MUCH SLOWER than the release versions. You can't compare performance (number of VSTs you can create, GUI snappiness etc) with other VST hosts. We will release non-logging builds towards the end of the beta period.