CodeMeter creating a Log File every startup?

Reason 9.5 Bug/Issue forum
songsongsong

Post 11 Apr 2015

Hey guys, I just got a new Macbook Pro (early 2015) with Yosemite installed. I also did a fresh install of the latest Reason and CodeMeter in order to authorize my new computer. However, I'm noticing that every time I startup the computer, CodeMeter creates a log file in the Applications folder. This is starting to accumulate and get very annoying...does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thank you!

SoulState

Post 11 Apr 2015

Hi 
I've got exactly the same issue on my MacBook Pro. I'm on Mavericks but I don't think the OS is the prob.  I use Reason on my iMac too and I don't get the CodeMeter logs deposits there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: :record: :adapted: :refill: :re:

SoulState

Post 13 Apr 2015

I may try mailing the Props....

jappe

Post 13 Apr 2015

Same problem here.

I also see an Authorizer error message related to getting the system version (I'm on 10.10.1); perhaps related somehow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normen

Post 13 Apr 2015

Amazing that the codemeter can write to your applications folder at all without you typing your admin password.. Maybe try running permission checks via the Disk Utility.

SoulState

Post 13 Apr 2015

Hmmmm don't want to speak too soon but I think I've solved the prob.

Un-ticking "Start service automatically on system startup..." In system preferences seems to fix it.
Strange thing is; I'm sure I tried this weeks ago and it didn't work :? ....but anyway seems to now.

jappe

Post 13 Apr 2015

hmm...funny thing is that logging is disabled for me, but it's still logging.

SoulState

Post 13 Apr 2015

Yeah so was mine...but it seems you've got to un-check the "Start service automatically..." box too.  Give it a try see if it makes any difference. :thumbup:

songsongsong

Post 13 Apr 2015

hey guys, i got the same exact situations as all of you guys. however, unchecking the "Start service automatically..." button...won't that kind of defeat the purpose of CodeMeter in the first place?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CodeMeter supposed to run automatically and stay running in the background? So whenever you open Reason and are offline, it uses CodeMeter to authorize instead of using an online verification, is this correct?

I guess you could always run CodeMeter manually whenever you are offline and run into that problem. I guess its not a huge deal to begin with anyway, and this directly solves the annoying log file issue. whatever works!

songsongsong

Post 13 Apr 2015

OK, another update. I emailed Props about this a few days ago and got a response back. Sounds like it could be addressed in an upcoming update. He also gives another alternative workaround, where you can tell CodeMeter to write the log files in an alternative directory. Here's the email:

"
Hi songsongsong,

From what I gather from Wibu, this is an ownership/permissions issue that prevents CodeMeter from writing the file inside the CodeMeter package (where they normally would be "invisible" to the user).

Until this is resolved with an update, one workaround is to tell CodeMeter to write the logs in another location instead (just create a temp folder somewhere). You can do this in the "Logging" tab in the CodeMeter preferences. Please stop the CodeMeter service before changing the location to make it stick. Also, the logs are only kept for 14 days, so they shouldn't take up much disk space.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Stefan
"

Hope this helps. Thanks for all your helpful input guys!

GPFF

Post 11 Oct 2015

Hi songsongsong (and others),

just to say that the 14 days keeping doesn't work for me.
They accumulate since 5 weeks now.

There's also a picture showing what to do in the "CmActDiagLog" topic.

dinkaz

Post 31 May 2016

Hi guys, I just followed instructions from this thread, thank you so much. I successfully moved the CmActDiagLog to designated folder I made. I have two questions.
One: Can I just delete it?
Two: For the upcoming Reason 9, will the moved or deleted CmActDiagLog affect the Reason 9 performance?

joeyluck

Post 15 Jun 2017

I have merged this topic

It seems that codemeter is dumping a logs into my Applications folder. Didn't have this occur before.

Anybody else having this issue? How do I fix this?

I'm on macOS 10.12.5
codemeter-logs.jpg

joeyluck

Post 15 Jun 2017

I had a look under Preferences... Logging is not activated :?
codemeter-pref.jpg

AttenuationHz

Post 15 Jun 2017

Disable it from starting or running at all. I have a dongle here somewhere don't need to have it plugged in. Codemeter is just for the dongle registration iirc? Authorizer is installed on my machine all right.

I remember having a nightmare trying to get authorizer to run from the application rather than the stick it was because of codemeter in reason 7. Have not used it since.
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

joeyluck

Post 15 Jun 2017

CodeMeter is also required to authorize a computer as a key. Which was something I waited to do with my new computer until I had to.
But didn't have this behavior on my old computer that was authorized.

AttenuationHz

Post 15 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:I had a look under Preferences... Logging is not activated :?

codemeter-pref.jpg
Are they large files? looks like you can just change the location of the folder they are saved in /Applications - Create folder where ever copy the address paste in the "Logging folder" /Applications part. /Trash?
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

WongoTheSane

Post 15 Jun 2017

What's inside? Can you post the contents of one of those files, if it's in plain text? Chances are small but with a bit of luck, the normally disabled logging still kicks in under a very specific set of circumstances, which can be inferred from the contents...

joeyluck

Post 20 Jun 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
15 Jun 2017
What's inside? Can you post the contents of one of those files, if it's in plain text? Chances are small but with a bit of luck, the normally disabled logging still kicks in under a very specific set of circumstances, which can be inferred from the contents...
Just stumbled upon a previous thread involving this issue. Don't know how I didn't find it in my search before.
Going to merge my thread with the old one. Apparently others have been having this issue. There was talk of a fix, but apparently that never came...

joeyluck

Post 20 Jun 2017

Surprised this issue is over two years old. I guess I didn't encounter it before because it wasn't an issue for my version of macOS? I have moved this to the R9.5 bug/issue forum.

joeyluck

Post 20 Jun 2017

I got this response from Wibu:
Please do not use CodeMeter 5.21 on macOS 10.12.5! This old driver wasn't tested on this OS.
Please use the current version of our CodeMeter driver 6.50a which you can download from our Webside. https://www.wibu.com/downloads-user-software.html
I had downloaded from Propellerhead, where they only host 5.21 for download:
https://www.propellerheads.se/download-codemeter

Anyways, downloading the new version now and will see if it fixes the problem.

[Update] No, that didn't fix the issue :puf_unhappy:

Oquasec

Post 20 Jun 2017

They gave me the command to reset/wipe my codemeter license once, forgot what it was called but it was a command you put into chrome to do it and it let you reauth instantly.
Producer/Sound Designer.
Anything works.

username

Post 17 Oct 2018

On Mac simply open up "System Preferences" select "CodeMeter" press "Stop Service" select "Logging" tab change the location of the Logging Folder. Or what I did was I created a new folder in my Applications called CodeMeter where all of these annoying files now dump. Logging Folder: /Applications/CodeMeter Now the pesky files are out of the way.

geronimo

Post 20 Oct 2018

Can we erase files previously created by Codemeter ?

MrFigg

Post 20 Oct 2018

Actually, and I’m running Windows 10, I noticed Log Files and Codemeter History folders in my C drive only yesterday. Maybe they’ve always been ther but I’ve never seen them.

• Information