Melodyne in 9.5

Reason 9.5 Bug/Issue forum
BPGeez

19 May 2017

I can't seem to be able to get the Melodyne plugin to show up. Has anyone got any information concerning this? Thank you
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her. Hope she gets sequencer implants.

Reason instruction via Skype: https://beatswithreason.simplybook.me/v2/

EnochLight

20 May 2017

BPGeez wrote:I can't seem to be able to get the Melodyne plugin to show up. Has anyone got any information concerning this? Thank you
My first instinct is to ask "why", since Reason's own audio pitch editor easily does what Melodyne Essentials does, and is integrated right into Reason... but I'm guessing you're using Melodyne Editor or Studio (and need DNA, etc)?
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

BPGeez

20 May 2017

Yes, yes exactly. And the fact that I'd like to use its formant controls as automation. I'd also like to compare the two for quick reference. Ans the easy multi track transposition and timing.. Annnnd the polyphonic manipulation.. Annnnnd.. I guess you get the point
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her. Hope she gets sequencer implants.

EnochLight

20 May 2017

BPGeez wrote:Yes, yes exactly. And the fact that I'd like to use its formant controls as automation. I'd also like to compare the two for quick reference. Ans the easy multi track transposition and timing.. Annnnd the polyphonic manipulation.. Annnnnd.. I guess you get the point
Well, I can say this much: many have compared Melodyne Essentials to Reason's audio pitch editor (myself included), and the verdict is: Reason's works just as well and has no discernible difference in audio quality when pitch editing.

Melodyne Editor, on the other hand - well - you can't touch DNA. I've only had the pleasure of using it for my trial period, and it was amazing. There's no direct note access in Reason's editor.

If you want formant automation, I'm afraid you'll have to use Reason's Neptune.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

cb1974

20 May 2017

I Have the same Problem on OS X... On Windows 10 it works without problems , just the GUI is far too big and not reziseable for me..
regarding the not showing up problem on OS X, i think the vst is just a wrapper for the melodyne vst3 ..but im not sure..maybe because of that..
another thought might be that they want to disable melodyne ..but then they forgot to do so on the windows 10 version.
i used it then through my Maschine 2 ..so maschine is the melodyne wrapper and its the au version i use on os x.
but its not very comfortable to use it in Maschine somehow..a good workaround.

swamptooth

20 May 2017

BPGeez wrote:I can't seem to be able to get the Melodyne plugin to show up. Has anyone got any information concerning this? Thank you
The vst2 plugin on windows is typically installed to program files\common files\vst2 add that directory to your vst scan path.

ReasonUser

20 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
BPGeez wrote:Yes, yes exactly. And the fact that I'd like to use its formant controls as automation. I'd also like to compare the two for quick reference. Ans the easy multi track transposition and timing.. Annnnd the polyphonic manipulation.. Annnnnd.. I guess you get the point
Well, I can say this much: many have compared Melodyne Essentials to Reason's audio pitch editor (myself included), and the verdict is: Reason's works just as well and has no discernible difference in audio quality when pitch editing.

Melodyne Editor, on the other hand - well - you can't touch DNA. I've only had the pleasure of using it for my trial period, and it was amazing. There's no direct note access in Reason's editor.

IMHO - Using only mono audio (my voice) I find Melodyne extremely flexible and natural sounding. While I was fighting with Reason to get anywhere near the same result. In fact, I had to throw out hours worth of work when I realized Reason just wasn't cutting it for a convincing lead vocal sound. For quick and dirty backup harmonies Reason is fine.

BPGeez

21 May 2017

swamptooth wrote:
The vst2 plugin on windows is typically installed to program files\common files\vst2 add that directory to your vst scan path.
Thanks for the input. I am working with Mac, however. Do you have any info regarding that?

BPGeez

21 May 2017

ReasonUser wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

IMHO - Using only mono audio (my voice) I find Melodyne extremely flexible and natural sounding. While I was fighting with Reason to get anywhere near the same result. In fact, I had to throw out hours worth of work when I realized Reason just wasn't cutting it for a convincing lead vocal sound. For quick and dirty backup harmonies Reason is fine.
I think I may be in the same thinking boat as you.. I hope this isn't true however. It seems to work well on certain backing tracks and "good" vocalist. However, I am pretty much a terrible singer and need all the help I can get :lol: I will stop being lazy and do some A/Bs between the two.

EnochLight

21 May 2017

ReasonUser wrote:IMHO - Using only mono audio (my voice) I find Melodyne extremely flexible and natural sounding. While I was fighting with Reason to get anywhere near the same result. In fact, I had to throw out hours worth of work when I realized Reason just wasn't cutting it for a convincing lead vocal sound. For quick and dirty backup harmonies Reason is fine.
This hasn't been my experience at all. Reason's audio pitch editing can easily best Melodyne (Essentials), as far as I've tested. You're probably one of the first people I've seen report that they can't get the same quality of pitch editing in Reason.

I mean - functionally - Reason offers the same features at Melodyne Essentials, and it's pitch change algorithm is pretty damn solid. Can you post an A/B comparison between the two to demonstrate your issue?

gbuck

21 May 2017

My question is the same, how to get melodyne studio 4.1 to open as a vst in 9.5. Everything else seems to show and work fine. thanks, Gary

EnochLight

21 May 2017

gbuck wrote:My question is the same, how to get melodyne studio 4.1 to open as a vst in 9.5. Everything else seems to show and work fine. thanks, Gary
Melodyne uses ARA (Audio Random Access) to exchange audio, tempo, and other info with your DAW. Reason doesn't support ARA (this was developed by Celemony and PreSonus together for Studio One's integration). Reason just supports VST2.

Did you install the 64-bit VST2 of Melodyne? If so, make sure Reason is pointed to it's install folder. As pointed out above, it should be under Program Files/Common Files/Celemony.
Last edited by EnochLight on 21 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

swamptooth

21 May 2017

gbuck wrote:My question is the same, how to get melodyne studio 4.1 to open as a vst in 9.5. Everything else seems to show and work fine. thanks, Gary
it appears the mac vst is 32 bit only. there is a vst3 64bit but no vst2 64bit version.

EnochLight

21 May 2017

swamptooth wrote:
it appears the mac vst is 32 bit only. there is a vst3 64bit but no vst2 64bit version.
Hmmm... On Windows, the 64-bit VST2 should be located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2 by default.

BPGeez

21 May 2017

swamptooth wrote:
Well then it also seems to appear that once again, i will have to leave my beloved reason workplace to finish a production :(

vondersulzburg

21 May 2017

I send a support request to Celemony. As soon as I get a answer I will post it here.
MacBook Air MID 2016 256GB SSD 8GB RAM, Reason 10, Ableton Live 9 Suite, LogicProX, Cubase 9.5

BPGeez

21 May 2017

vondersulzburg wrote:I send a support request to Celemony. As soon as I get a answer I will post it here.
I've sent one too.. "Only the VST3 plugin is 64 bit on Mac, which causes an issue here. I’m not sure if the new Reason also allows to use AU (Audio Units) plugin or not. If yes, this would be a workaround."

:? It appears we're pretty much out of luck as of now. Maybe with enough pressure, we could convince either Celemony or Props to do something??

vondersulzburg

23 May 2017

I asked them to compile a 64bit vst 2.4. Maybe the will do. AU does not work with reason
MacBook Air MID 2016 256GB SSD 8GB RAM, Reason 10, Ableton Live 9 Suite, LogicProX, Cubase 9.5

crysco

10 Jun 2017

This is sad, I need melodyne. I have never been able to manipulate Reasons the exact same on some things.

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2017

There's also the obvious issue using Melodyne as a VST. Melodyne works much better (as a slave) via a Rewire host or better still with a DAW equipped with ARA such as Sonar or Studio One (Which relies on VST3 IIRC) as you then get virtual interactive access to the whole audio file at once.

IMO using Melodyne as a VST has always been a PITA on any DAW which is I guess is why ARA got introduced. I'd rather use it as a standalone than be forced to use it as a VST TBH.

However it should at least show up in your plug-in list which it did on my Windows setup when I installed it, I've uninstalled the VST since though as I prefer Reason's native monophonic pitch correction anyway, but I still have use of it via ARA in Studio One if and when I need it.

Edit: Ah I see Windows has a 64 bit VST 2 version and OSX doesn't.
Last edited by Ostermilk on 10 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2017

crysco wrote:This is sad, I need melodyne. I have never been able to manipulate Reasons the exact same on some things.
Why be sad? If you can make comparisons can't you continue to use it on whatever you are using to make that comparison?

bihi

31 Jul 2018

Sometimes Melodyne plugin won't show up also on my side, but i just restart the software.

• Information