Mac OS Sierra DSP spikes

Reason 9.5 Bug/Issue forum
kimothebeatmaker

20 Sep 2017

I run a 6 core mac pro with 16gb of ram and an RME babyface pro.

Reason 9.5 with NO vst, just kong and one drum sample I get pops and clicks at 32mb buffer setting. I can do this in maschine cubase and pro tools no problem.

at 512 I get pops and clicks on songs i've made in reason before mac os sierra. Not an issue with reason on yosemite 10.10.5, runs fantastic. On mac os sierra, very bad dsp spikes. PLEASE FIX! :(
"Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone"

normen

20 Sep 2017

Its an issue with Sierra that probably roots in the power saving features of Sierra, its true for basically all audio apps and is something that Apple is supposed to fix rather than anyone else.
Professional Audio Engineer, Germany / Part Time Programmer

kimothebeatmaker

20 Sep 2017

No, as i've said in my opening post, Cubase, Pro Tools, and Maschine all run 32mb buffer just fine. Reason however has an issue...and only Reason. This has been confirmed by other members as well, and I believe Propellerhead has confirmed it, but have yet to announce if they were working on a fix. I thought i'd post here hoping they'd look.

normen

20 Sep 2017

Ah okay, then its something else that doesn't affect everybody, I just see the "usual" Sierra performance dip. The Props are usually quite aware of such things if they get reported at all, how quickly a fix is coming is a different story :)

Edit: Btw, what do you mean by "32mb" buffer? You mean 32 samples? Do you really need to go THAT low? Theres all kinds of other issues connected to that, not just latency.
Professional Audio Engineer, Germany / Part Time Programmer

kimothebeatmaker

20 Sep 2017

Im not sure if it affects "everybody" per say, as we don't really know the number of users using Mac OS Sierra + Reason 9.5....but the few that have posted here including a moderator Joey has posted about their experience with substandard performance. Also noting that it's only Reason 9.5 and only one Sierra that it's having issues.

And yes, I mean 32 sample buffer sorry for the confusion. I actually also meant to say 64ms because Reason only goes that low. In Cubase 9 / Pro Tools 12 I can run 32ms no problem with Spire VST which is a CPU intensive plugin in itself. Im hyper sensitive to delay when playing drums or keyboard through midi recording into reason...it kills my groove and feel when I feel a delay. I never had a problem using it that low before, just with Sierra.

moneykube

20 Sep 2017

I reverted back to mountain lion... to many problems with os upgrade... computer slow... apps that stopped working and a crippled reason... it distroyed a well oiled machine... not worth the frustration
:thumbs_down: :thumbs_down:

moneykube

21 Sep 2017

moneykube wrote:
20 Sep 2017
I reverted back to mountain lion... to many problems with os upgrade... computer slow... apps that stopped working and a crippled reason... it destroyed a well oiled machine... not worth the frustration
:thumbs_down: :thumbs_down:
mac powerbook 2012... no added software... nothing changed but stupid os... booo to os

kimothebeatmaker

21 Sep 2017

Yeah, unfortunately I just installed all of my Komplete, Cubase, Pro Tools, VSTs, and sample library over to Mac OS Sierra....Not too sure if I want to go back to Yosemite...I guess i'll just have to use Reason at 512 buffer setting and just draw my notes in for now.

kimothebeatmaker

05 Oct 2017

Any words from propellerhead on this?

moneykube

06 Oct 2017

so far I have read nothing about it from the props... they say this which was not my experience at all... https://www.propellerheads.se/support/n ... ty-status/

edit... oh wait... the compatibility statement does not mention 9.5 hmmmm
https://www.propellerheads.se/support/n ... gh-sierra/
perhaps a clue
high sierra here... scratching head... https://www.apple.com/ca/macos/high-sierra/
crossing fingers and testing

moneykube

09 Oct 2017

this has been fun.... well... noticed that if I upgrade to HIGH Sierra... I lose about 500 bucks in video editing software.... finalcut pro and compressor... so ... trying to make sierra work.... wow.... what a pain... multiple failed downloads... multiple uses of disk doctor... ha... trying external drive first.... app stoire ... meh... not the best way for big files imo.... welll... maybe tomorrow I can test rason 9.5 with Sierra again... I must have missed some steps last time because this has beeen more of a pain then last time for sure... sigh.... :question: :question: :question:

boomer

09 Oct 2017

You’ll notice in PH statement that 9.5.2 is approved for High Sierra but NOT 9.5.1. Which are you using?

I’m running 9.5.2 on High Sierra 10.3.x on a 2017 MacBook Pro with no problems.

moneykube

10 Oct 2017

9.5 for me and this install of Sierra seems okay so far :exclamation: :thumbs_up:

kimothebeatmaker

10 Oct 2017

I couldn’t take it anymore and went back to Yosemite 10.10.5 and it’s been rock solid!

moneykube

10 Oct 2017

ha tried to go to yosemite but my install was corrupt and apple kept giving error messages when I tried to redownlod :lol:

FGL

12 Oct 2017

It does not help to get back to some old OS. I tried this long time ago. You will always be forced to update your System. They always get you planned obsolescence.
My Songs on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/frank-georg-lucas. My Snips on Allihoopa: https://allihoopa.com/fraluc

moneykube

13 Oct 2017

FGL wrote:
12 Oct 2017
It does not help to get back to some old OS. I tried this long time ago. You will always be forced to update your System. They always get you planned obsolescence.
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 1.04.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 1.04.47 AM.png (487.47 KiB) Viewed 71 times

• Information