CV (Midi/ Last Note) out of Thor is 4 octaves lower than it should be.

Reason 9.5 Bug/Issue forum
syrokitty

11 Aug 2017

Regardless of whether "Midi Note" or "Last Note" is chosen, the output value drops the input value by 48 semitones.

Video

madmacman

11 Aug 2017

I tried it, and indeed the output is a bit odd. You can check it yourself e.g. with the free tool CVA-7. C3 (from the onscreen keyboard) produces a CV of 0, everything below turns CV into a negative range.

So my first idea would be: is this issue somehow related to unipolar/bipolar CV?

(You can instantly passthru your CV in the CVA-7 and alter it to unipolar)

Loque

11 Aug 2017

AFAIR Thor has to midi notes. One real and one per octave.
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

ljekio

11 Aug 2017

Thor's last/midi notes is present in bipolar CV format, but zero is note off like unipolar zero.
With it you can't simply sent correct notes from it to the any instruments.

syrokitty

11 Aug 2017

madmacman wrote:
11 Aug 2017
You can instantly passthru your CV in the CVA-7 and alter it to unipolar.
Switching from passthrough to unipolar changes nothing for me. =/

selig

11 Aug 2017

Thor's CV outs are generic bipolar, so a MIDI note of C3 (60) = 0 CV (not 60). They are also not linear with regards to note CV, so as you play up the keyboard you don't get one CV "volt" per note - for example, one octave up gives you +18, not +12.

There was a recent thread that discussed how to convert properly, but I can't remember where it was. IIRC you had to use an "Amount" of 87 rather than 100, then add 60 with a rotary. Then you will get note CV equivalents if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

11 Aug 2017

syrokitty wrote:
11 Aug 2017
madmacman wrote:
11 Aug 2017
You can instantly passthru your CV in the CVA-7 and alter it to unipolar.
Switching from passthrough to unipolar changes nothing for me. =/
Well, you can still scale the CV signal with a rotary. Just put the rotary as source and use the same cv out.
:reason: 9.5.1 Win10 64Bit.

syrokitty

11 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
11 Aug 2017
IIRC you had to use an "Amount" of 87 rather than 100, then add 60 with a rotary. Then you will get note CV equivalents if I'm not mistaken.
I'm not sure I follow how to implement ^this function.

The word "add" leads me to think these values should be summed, and the only way I know how to do that is to use a CV merger, though I suppose that could be multiplying, rather.

I'll look to see if I can find the thread tho.

syrokitty

12 Aug 2017

Ok, so I found Dioxide's thread/ fix and am good. That said, Dioxide suggests purchasing a rack extension, and while this rack extension is rather inexpensive, I don't see what it is doing that I can't/ haven't tried with what I currently have.

For others who might come across this thread in search of an answer, let me redirect you.

selig

12 Aug 2017

To "add" just assign two slots to the same cv out. One is the note, the other is the rotary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

syrokitty

12 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
12 Aug 2017
To "add" just assign two slots to the same cv out. One is the note, the other is the rotary.
oh ok, so it does work like that. I'd actually tried ^this (along with quite a few other ideas) before consulting and was met with no audible effect in all cases, so.. cool. I'm relieved to hear it was just user error. -nods-

I also appreciate the time/ response. :)

• Information