Allihoopa is closing down :(

Everything Allihoopa!
User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5084
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Dec 2018

craven wrote:
14 Dec 2018
avasopht wrote:
14 Dec 2018
With their demo of Reason in the browser, makes you wonder what's next. Especially with the competition of DAWs in the browser.
Yes, Europa in the browser was pretty awesome. However, Europa is not Reason, even though Reason Compact is just Europa for now :)
No, he’s talking about actual Reason being ran in a web browser, as was demonstrated in the JUICE tech demo by Magnus (the CTO of Propellerhead). ;)
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
rudiarii
Posts: 73
Joined: 28 Jun 2016
Location: UK

Post 14 Dec 2018

The best online collaboration software I've ever used was Rocket Network which was intergrated into Cubase. You could rent studio space or use the public studios. I would spend hours on that collaborating with people all over the world, even had a chat box all live. I nly had dial up at the time too...happy days. It was the victim of its own success and got sold to Avid I believe, everyone wanted the fee studio space so it didn't make enough money but the idea lives on.....

"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

fullforce
Posts: 77
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 14 Dec 2018

It was doomed from the start.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 881
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 14 Dec 2018

Kenni wrote:
13 Dec 2018
Sad to hear this.

Maybe we should consider setting up a server for ReasonTalk for users to drag/drop their wav-exports, if sharing songs and ideas is something people will miss with Allihoopa?
Don't make it free or ads based to finance the service if you decide to do it.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5084
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Dec 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Don't make it free or ads based to finance the service if you decide to do it.
If they make it free, who will pay for it? It costs money for bandwidth and infrastructure...
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1203
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 14 Dec 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Kenni wrote:
13 Dec 2018
Sad to hear this.

Maybe we should consider setting up a server for ReasonTalk for users to drag/drop their wav-exports, if sharing songs and ideas is something people will miss with Allihoopa?
Don't make it free or ads based to finance the service if you decide to do it.
Then what do you suggest? Subscriptions?
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Posts: 1093
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Dec 2018

Kenni wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Then what do you suggest? Subscriptions?
Maybe something like SoundCloud Pro? Limited free storage. Only paid users can host lossless files for download.

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1203
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 14 Dec 2018

ScuzzyEye wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Kenni wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Then what do you suggest? Subscriptions?
Maybe something like SoundCloud Pro? Limited free storage. Only paid users can host lossless files for download.
This was part of the plans I had in fact, I don't know just yet what the limit will be, other than it will be exclusive for RT members. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

RobC
Posts: 990
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 14 Dec 2018

ScuzzyEye wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Kenni wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Then what do you suggest? Subscriptions?
Maybe something like SoundCloud Pro? Limited free storage. Only paid users can host lossless files for download.
Isn't there way for people to take care of their own storage, like uploading to a file host such as Google Drive, and making use of that?

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1203
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 14 Dec 2018

RobC wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Isn't there way for people to take care of their own storage, like uploading to a file host such as Google Drive, and making use of that?
There definitely is.

However, I saw Allihoopa as the perfect platform to easily share your songs, ideas, or vocals for others to use. It was the ease of use that were the real kicker for me. Press a button, and it's shared with the world. Uploading to Google drive is not cumbersome, but sharing is not userfriendly in the sense that Allihoopa was. If you have to convert to Mp3 yourself, well, it's a deal breaker for some.

As a collaboration service, Allihoopa didn't work too well - To be a serious contender, multi-track projects would be needed.

What I envision though is a place for people to just upload their wav/aiff bounces, and the service would do the rest, much like Allihoopa. See it as a music sharing service, that may or may not in time turn into RT Radio while browsing the forum ( :D ) or even a catalogue you can opt in on for serious clients to browse for goodies.

An idea I had was a catalogue of music sorted in genres for Advertisers, Movie firms, companies that needs music for radio commercials/intros/trailers/games to browse, like a shop where you buy a license to use a piece or even purchase exclusive rights from the artist. All made by RT members.

Might as well get that plan rolling with a music sharing service. I'm not trying to compete with SoundCloud or pick up where Allihoopa left off. If I get the tech right and some people can and will use it, then it's fine for me. I'm always trying to evolve as a developer, this is a perfect way for me to dig in to something new.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

RobC
Posts: 990
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 14 Dec 2018

Kenni wrote:
14 Dec 2018
RobC wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Isn't there way for people to take care of their own storage, like uploading to a file host such as Google Drive, and making use of that?
There definitely is.

However, I saw Allihoopa as the perfect platform to easily share your songs, ideas, or vocals for others to use. It was the ease of use that were the real kicker for me. Press a button, and it's shared with the world. Uploading to Google drive is not cumbersome, but sharing is not userfriendly in the sense that Allihoopa was. If you have to convert to Mp3 yourself, well, it's a deal breaker for some.

As a collaboration service, Allihoopa didn't work too well - To be a serious contender, multi-track projects would be needed.

What I envision though is a place for people to just upload their wav/aiff bounces, and the service would do the rest, much like Allihoopa. See it as a music sharing service, that may or may not in time turn into RT Radio while browsing the forum ( :D ) or even a catalogue you can opt in on for serious clients to browse for goodies.

An idea I had was a catalogue of music sorted in genres for Advertisers, Movie firms, companies that needs music for radio commercials/intros/trailers/games to browse, like a shop where you buy a license to use a piece or even purchase exclusive rights from the artist. All made by RT members.

Might as well get that plan rolling with a music sharing service. I'm not trying to compete with SoundCloud or pick up where Allihoopa left off. If I get the tech right and some people can and will use it, then it's fine for me. I'm always trying to evolve as a developer, this is a perfect way for me to dig in to something new.
I'm not familiar with how much of a problem storage and processing power can become (server computers, storing, cooling and powering them, etc.). Perhaps there could be some online tool, which helps do that quickly with our own storage, and takes care of conversion when needed. Only difference would be using 3rd party services. Though I don't know if storages like drive, and online converters are willing to communicate with an online software/tool.

A radio could be fun, and a stock music -like system could be very useful.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 881
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 14 Dec 2018

Kenni wrote:
14 Dec 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
14 Dec 2018

Don't make it free or ads based to finance the service if you decide to do it.
Then what do you suggest? Subscriptions?
All ideas are welcomed as long as people are willing to support the forum/site. It is a big deal because I am guessing the next Reason update will not have a built in sharing option, OR it will have a different (better?) solution?
Sorry I haven't read all the replies but perhaps the shutdown is more about new Copyright laws in the EU than storage cost? Before you offer such service wait and see how Article !3, etc will disrupt the market. I have a sad feeling only deep pocketed giant corporations will be able to survive (maybe the intended goal all along).

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 881
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 14 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Don't make it free or ads based to finance the service if you decide to do it.
If they make it free, who will pay for it? It costs money for bandwidth and infrastructure...
I agree.

User avatar
craven
Posts: 575
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018
craven wrote:
14 Dec 2018


Yes, Europa in the browser was pretty awesome. However, Europa is not Reason, even though Reason Compact is just Europa for now :)
No, he’s talking about actual Reason being ran in a web browser, as was demonstrated in the JUICE tech demo by Magnus (the CTO of Propellerhead). ;)
oh, I see. Didn't catch that part in the video yet. So will there be Reason for Linux systems as well? Interesting.
:ugeek:

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5084
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 15 Dec 2018

craven wrote:
15 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018


No, he’s talking about actual Reason being ran in a web browser, as was demonstrated in the JUICE tech demo by Magnus (the CTO of Propellerhead). ;)
oh, I see. Didn't catch that part in the video yet. So will there be Reason for Linux systems as well? Interesting.
No clue - it was just a tech demo showing it was possible, using a similar tech that they used to run Europa in a web browser. The implications are pretty awesome, though!
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
craven
Posts: 575
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
15 Dec 2018
No clue - it was just a tech demo showing it was possible, using a similar tech that they used to run Europa in a web browser. The implications are pretty awesome, though!
It's great to see where Reason is heading. It's still my DAW of choice and if they keep up these great innovations this is not gonna change. I'd love to see more controlling option via tablet and phone - hopefully the new tech will allow for this. Implications are awesome indeed! I'm really sad about Allihoopa closing, though. It wasn't optimal, but it was very useful as also stated by many others in this thread. Hopefully Props will think of something to make up for this loss.
:ugeek:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5771
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Dec 2018

I am truly going to miss Allihoopa. It really was something special. I never understood all the talk about it not being for professionals. I used it professionally. The chat feature was great and I wish it was there sooner as it made my latest collaboration even easier.

It was also great when they updated the terms. Sure, the original terms did make me a bit hesitant at first about sharing some stuff publicly, but I also appreciated the lack of barriers to get involved and have fun. Has anybody else here used another collaboration service? I've used a few, and they are not fun, with very little collaborating going on it seems (certainly not much to be browsed publicly). And that was another fun aspect of Allihoopa; you could browse and listen to a piece and then adventure further to see what other people did with it.

People say they want to share full projects and stems and that is frankly inefficient and a mess. Why do you need to be sharing all of that to get some ideas going and to gauge interest from other artists? With something like Allihoopa, you share files, you chat about it, and then if you want to dive deeper, there’s this thing called email, and Google Drive, and DropBox or whatever. What people imagine as the “real pros” actually bounce simple ideas back and forth, some of them just using voice memo apps to record…and then they meet in a studio.

I would've paid for an Allihoopa membership. It was a great atmosphere.

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 30
Joined: 03 Jul 2018

Post 17 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018
craven wrote:
14 Dec 2018


Yes, Europa in the browser was pretty awesome. However, Europa is not Reason, even though Reason Compact is just Europa for now :)
No, he’s talking about actual Reason being ran in a web browser, as was demonstrated in the JUICE tech demo by Magnus (the CTO of Propellerhead). ;)
Apologies if it's already been posted, I looked but may have missed it. I've tried searching Google for this video and can't find it; just this forum post. Can you post a link to where the video is?

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5084
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 17 Dec 2018

Magnus wrote:
17 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018


No, he’s talking about actual Reason being ran in a web browser, as was demonstrated in the JUICE tech demo by Magnus (the CTO of Propellerhead). ;)
Apologies if it's already been posted, I looked but may have missed it. I've tried searching Google for this video and can't find it; just this forum post. Can you post a link to where the video is?
See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510010

In the video, skip to the 40:38 part. To be fair, it's more of a thin running Rack Extension running in the browser for the web.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5771
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Magnus wrote:
17 Dec 2018


Apologies if it's already been posted, I looked but may have missed it. I've tried searching Google for this video and can't find it; just this forum post. Can you post a link to where the video is?
See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510010

In the video, skip to the 40:38 part. To be fair, it's more of a thin running Rack Extension running in the browser for the web.
Well you can after all already use Europa in a web browser.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5084
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 17 Dec 2018

joeyluck wrote:
17 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
17 Dec 2018


See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510010

In the video, skip to the 40:38 part. To be fair, it's more of a thin running Rack Extension running in the browser for the web.
Well you can after all already use Europa in a web browser.
Right, I was just clarifying that - although Reason appears to be running in Chrome in Magnus' demo, he states that the entire thing is just a thinly running RE. There was no demo of transport controls, the mixer, etc.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 30
Joined: 03 Jul 2018

Post 18 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Dec 2018
joeyluck wrote:
17 Dec 2018


Well you can after all already use Europa in a web browser.
Right, I was just clarifying that - although Reason appears to be running in Chrome in Magnus' demo, he states that the entire thing is just a thinly running RE. There was no demo of transport controls, the mixer, etc.
That's easy enough to implement later. What's clear is that the Reason Engine is running in the browser and all Rack Extensions are supported (even legacy ones like Korg). I wouldn't be surprised if Reason 11 or perhaps Reason 12 is a fully fledged cloud DAW that you can also run locally. That would be a real game changer and would leave Pro Tools, Cubase et al in the dirt.

Given what Propellerheads have already shown off in the Europa web demo, I would say they're making real strides in leading the industry technically. Proper innovation.

User avatar
Bixbambi
Posts: 102
Joined: 02 Apr 2015
Location: France, Brive la Gaillarde.

Post 18 Dec 2018

Kenni wrote:
14 Dec 2018
RobC wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Isn't there way for people to take care of their own storage, like uploading to a file host such as Google Drive, and making use of that?
There definitely is.

However, I saw Allihoopa as the perfect platform to easily share your songs, ideas, or vocals for others to use. It was the ease of use that were the real kicker for me. Press a button, and it's shared with the world. Uploading to Google drive is not cumbersome, but sharing is not userfriendly in the sense that Allihoopa was. If you have to convert to Mp3 yourself, well, it's a deal breaker for some.

As a collaboration service, Allihoopa didn't work too well - To be a serious contender, multi-track projects would be needed.

What I envision though is a place for people to just upload their wav/aiff bounces, and the service would do the rest, much like Allihoopa. See it as a music sharing service, that may or may not in time turn into RT Radio while browsing the forum ( :D ) or even a catalogue you can opt in on for serious clients to browse for goodies.

An idea I had was a catalogue of music sorted in genres for Advertisers, Movie firms, companies that needs music for radio commercials/intros/trailers/games to browse, like a shop where you buy a license to use a piece or even purchase exclusive rights from the artist. All made by RT members.

Might as well get that plan rolling with a music sharing service. I'm not trying to compete with SoundCloud or pick up where Allihoopa left off. If I get the tech right and some people can and will use it, then it's fine for me. I'm always trying to evolve as a developer, this is a perfect way for me to dig in to something new.
I'm disappointed. Like many I used Allihoopa to listen to my models whether or not.
This is an option I will miss in Reason.
@Kenni, I really like your ideas. I hope that will be heard.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5084
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 20 Dec 2018

Saw this when I updated my iOS apps this morning... :(

Image
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 395
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 24 Dec 2018

Jmax wrote:
13 Dec 2018
sublunar wrote:
13 Dec 2018
So when is that stupid button going to go away from my transport control?

Allihoopa seemed like nothing but a bunch of people ripping off each other's content and passing it off as their own. But I admit I only ever looked around that site once.
You only ever looked around that site once? So in actuality, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Oooh, burn!

In actuality, I do know what I"m talking about insofar as what I personally experienced; when I looked around the site, all I saw was blatantly ripped off content and was immediately turned off.

I'm sure there were people genuinely getting together and creating new music and forming awesome partnerships. I'm sure a lot of good stuff was made privately. But the public side was... not a very compelling argument to use it. That's my opinion. You also have an opinion.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], pushedbutton and 0 guests