Korg Gadget for mac

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samp

20 Jul 2017

Hi all. Korg just announced gadget for mac is on sale again. Any fellow Reason users have it and can recommend it? I am tempted. Especially since the Gadgets can be opened in Reason as vsts! Thanks

joeyluck

20 Jul 2017

samp wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Hi all. Korg just announced gadget for mac is on sale again. Any fellow Reason users have it and can recommend it? I am tempted. Especially since the Gadgets can be opened in Reason as vsts! Thanks
You can try Gadget LE. It's free! It however doesn't include Gadgets to use as VSTs...
You should give a listen to the Allihoopa challenge entries! https://allihoopa.com/search?q=%23korg140

eusti

20 Jul 2017

Mmmmh... For $ 200 I'm now considering Logic... Or Gadget... I know that Logic doesn't integrate well... But at least I get the better drummers that I could bounce out or use the midi of... And a bunch of cool synths and loops... With Gadget I'm mainly interested in the Wavestation and Odyssey... Maybe too much for just two plugins, mmh...

Any feedback?

D.

joeyluck

20 Jul 2017

eusti wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Mmmmh... For $ 200 I'm now considering Logic... Or Gadget... I know that Logic doesn't integrate well... But at least I get the better drummers that I could bounce out or use the midi of... And a bunch of cool synths and loops... With Gadget I'm mainly interested in the Wavestation and Odyssey... Maybe too much for just two plugins, mmh...

Any feedback?

D.
Do you have Garageband? The newer versions incorporate drummers. Not sure how they compare to Logic, I haven't used them yet. Cheaper option.

eusti

20 Jul 2017

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Do you have Garageband? The newer versions incorporate drummers. Not sure how they compare to Logic, I haven't used them yet. Cheaper option.
I do have Garageband and kind of like the drummers... But it's always a pain to get the midi out of Garageband into Reason... :P
I read that it's much more straightforward with Logic... Do you have Gadget? Do you think it's worth the outlay?

D.

joeyluck

21 Jul 2017

eusti wrote:
20 Jul 2017
joeyluck wrote:
20 Jul 2017
I do have Garageband and kind of like the drummers... But it's always a pain to get the midi out of Garageband into Reason... :P
I read that it's much more straightforward with Logic... Do you have Gadget? Do you think it's worth the outlay?

D.
I'm not sure the drummers send MIDI anyways? I'm not sure; haven't tried. Thought it was just audio loops. I only have Gadget LE which is free for all Mac users.

eusti

21 Jul 2017

joeyluck wrote:
21 Jul 2017

I'm not sure the drummers send MIDI anyways? I'm not sure; haven't tried. Thought it was just audio loops. I only have Gadget LE which is free for all Mac users.
Well, the drummers do not send MIDI, that is correct. But if you make the part an Apple loop, you can extract MIDI from that AIF file with some nifty program called GB2MIDI... Same goes for the iOS smart instruments... Though you have to import those files into the mac first... So, quite cumbersome, but at least you know you can actually use the stuff you create with your Garageband and possibly improve on it... ;)

Thanks for the feedback regarding Gadget.

D.

stratatonic

22 Jul 2017

eusti wrote:
21 Jul 2017

Well, the drummers do not send MIDI, that is correct. But if you make the part an Apple loop, you can extract MIDI from that AIF file with some nifty program called GB2MIDI... Same goes for the iOS smart instruments... Though you have to import those files into the mac first... So, quite cumbersome, but at least you know you can actually use the stuff you create with your Garageband and possibly improve on it... ;)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what you want, but in Logic you can right click the Drummer region and Convert to Midi Region. And then right click again to Export.

If you can't do this in GB, I think you can drag the Drummer region onto a software instrument track and the region converts to midi.
eusti wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Mmmmh... For $ 200 I'm now considering Logic... Or Gadget...
You can often buy $100 Apple gift cards at a discount. I've bought them at Costco for 79.99 before, during promotions. They are generally 5-10% off most times. If you can grab a couple on a 20% sale somewhere, you get Logic through the App Store for 159.98.

eusti

22 Jul 2017

stratatonic wrote:
22 Jul 2017
Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what you want, but in Logic you can right click the Drummer region and Convert to Midi Region. And then right click again to Export.

If you can't do this in GB, I think you can drag the Drummer region onto a software instrument track and the region converts to midi.
Yes, I read about that. That would save me time and would be an advantage for getting Logic instead of staying with Garageband.
Thanks for confirming that. In Garageband there is no exporting MIDI like that...

Do you like what the drummers offer in Logic? Is it useful to you?
stratatonic wrote:
22 Jul 2017
You can often buy $100 Apple gift cards at a discount. I've bought them at Costco for 79.99 before, during promotions. They are generally 5-10% off most times. If you can grab a couple on a 20% sale somewhere, you get Logic through the App Store for 159.98.
That is a very cool trick. I just came across this when doing my research triggered by this thread! Appreciate it! :)

D.

eusti

22 Jul 2017

To bring this back on topic:

Tried to sign up for a Korg ID, but the confirmation link doesn't work for me in neither Safari, Firefox and even Safari iOS...
Feel strangely reminded of my Authorizer issues... :(.

I guess that means that Gadget is out for me! :P

D.

KIKBAK1

27 Jul 2017

Gadget is great!

samp wrote:
20 Jul 2017
KIKBAK1.com

stratatonic

03 Aug 2017

eusti wrote:
22 Jul 2017
stratatonic wrote:
22 Jul 2017

Yes, I read about that. That would save me time and would be an advantage for getting Logic instead of staying with Garageband.
Thanks for confirming that. In Garageband there is no exporting MIDI like that...

Do you like what the drummers offer in Logic? Is it useful to you?
I think the Drummers are excellent. They are a great sketchpad and you can easily lay down 90% of what you need. I really like the Follow feature - you can tell Drummer to follow the groove in, say, your bass track, and it gets results pretty fast.
There are lots of variations in all the drummers grooves that you can usually find what you need. I still convert sections to midi and tweak - sometimes that's just faster, for me.
I think the sounds are great as well, and there are options to swap out drums and change tune/damp etc.
The producer kits are already set up on separate tracks and buses - you hardly have to tweak.
The 3 new percussionists that came out in the last update are very useful. Any time I need a little subtle sweetening of a drum track, I can get a useful groove that complements it extremely fast.

Anyways, this is a Gadget thread :puf_bigsmile: so i'll stop the Logic train there.

----

Gadget for iOS is also half price right now.

---

(And why is this thread in the Allihooopa Forum?...)

chimp_spanner

03 Aug 2017

Is there a way to run the gadgets as VSTs if I'm on PC?

I have a weird relationship with Gadget. I largely consider my foray into iPad music a failure, on account of hardly making any music with the damn thing because I'm forever setting things up.

Gadget has always been the exception - I always make something that sounds cool, even if it's just a 2 or 4 bar loop, which it usually is. I still feel it could benefit hugely from a non-linear arranger like Cubasis. I can't stand working in patterns and scenes. It's also missing some really fundamental editing tools. But hopefully Korg will get around to adding those!

adfielding

11 Aug 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Is there a way to run the gadgets as VSTs if I'm on PC?
I'd be very surprised if there was. As far as I'm aware, there is no such thing as a Windows interpreter for macOS-compiled VSTs, and there certainly isn't anything like that for AUs - hell, I couldn't even find a simple AU->VST wrapper for macOS itself (though, naturally, there are slightly more convoluted ways around that, and I'm pretty sure that's more to do with Apple's licensing restrictions than anything else).

Of course, if you find such a thing then I'd love to know because I'm all for platform independence :)

• Information