KORG Gadget now available!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ReasonTalk

24 Mar 2017

After nearly one month of delayed release, KORG Gadget with Allihoopa support is now available!

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/03/korg ... allihoopa/

stp2015

24 Mar 2017

Just out of curiosity: Is the article mainly the press release? If yes, I think it would be nice to state that.

Also, I am a bit surprised to see a front page article on reasontalk about a mini daw that has nothing to do with reason. Is it because both have alihoopa buttons?

Karim
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2017

stp2015 wrote:Just out of curiosity: Is the article mainly the press release? If yes, I think it would be nice to state that.

Also, I am a bit surprised to see a front page article on reasontalk about a mini daw that has nothing to do with reason. Is it because both have alihoopa buttons?
Probably.. But personally I hope for better integration...

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Surfeast

25 Mar 2017

Save your self some money I was underwhelmed , I guess if you want to use the synths as building blocks great but the patches I used were pretty dull. IMHO
Inspired by hearing Kraftwerk in 1976

chimp_spanner

25 Mar 2017

I've always liked Gadget on iOS in as much as it's the only app I tend to get results with, compared to the absolute ball ache that is getting iOS apps to communicate together and state save reliably. The instruments are great too IMO. That said, I think this was a missed opportunity. For Gadget to compete it really needs some proper arranging features (non linear would be nice) or at least a more complete set of tools. There's no legato, fixed lengths, or even a select all when working with MIDI! And the audio Gadget feels like a workaround for a program that was never supposed to have audio. So yeah. A little underwhelmed. Was hoping for way more features, but, in fairness Korg do seem to be pretty regular and active with updates so, let's see!

Exowildebeest

25 Mar 2017

stp2015 wrote:Just out of curiosity: Is the article mainly the press release? If yes, I think it would be nice to state that.

Same with the VK-2 announcement.

I'm not really a fan of copypasted press releases/shop info to front page news articles without any additional context or even an explanation that it's external info and not copy written for or by Reasontalk.

joeyluck

25 Mar 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:

I'm not really a fan of copypasted press releases/shop info to front page news articles without any additional context or even an explanation that it's external info and not copy written for or by Reasontalk.
Thank you all for your opinions on this. Totally understandable. We will see to it that we make adjustments in how we make posts so that these things are clear. We're all here to help get announcements/press releases out in addition to publishing unique content (such as the interviews, reviews, tutorials, etc.) This is fairly new territory for much of our team. We are passionate about it and we're learning as we go and appreciate the feedback :puf_smile:

joeyluck

25 Mar 2017

And to answer the question about Korg Gadget news... Yes, it's because it includes support for Allihoopa. So us Reason users can now build-upon and collaborate with Gadget users! :puf_smile:

Exowildebeest

25 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:

Thank you all for your opinions on this. Totally understandable. We will see to it that we make adjustments in how we make posts so that these things are clear. We're all here to help get announcements/press releases out in addition to publishing unique content (such as the interviews, reviews, tutorials, etc.) This is fairly new territory for much of our team. We are passionate about it and we're learning as we go and appreciate the feedback :puf_smile:

:thumbs_up:

stp2015

25 Mar 2017

Very good, thanks!

selig
RE Developer

25 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:And to answer the question about Korg Gadget news... Yes, it's because it includes support for Allihoopa. So us Reason users can now build-upon and collaborate with Gadget users! :puf_smile:
Well, there's also LINK…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

25 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
joeyluck wrote:And to answer the question about Korg Gadget news... Yes, it's because it includes support for Allihoopa. So us Reason users can now build-upon and collaborate with Gadget users! :puf_smile:
Well, there's also LINK…
;)
Oh yeah! That too! :D

Lizard

25 Mar 2017

I have Gadget for iOS and since I don't run Mac the announcement isn't that big of a deal for me. But I do love Gadget as a travel companion is a great product. The Mac release also comes with upgrades to the iOS users so that is good. There are three new devices which pushes the total amount available with all daughter programs and in-app purchases to 31 gadgets. Two of the latest focus on audio input and record able material. Zurich is a WAV recorder fashioned like and old reel to reel and Rosario is a Guitar input effect device for recording licks. Lastly Recife is MPC style Rhythm Unit with what looks to be a large sample library.

I had recently purchased the Korg plugKey device for it which sports a 5-din Midi plug, two audio 1/4in outs and a headphone out. Before this was kind of awesome as it took care of all my needs. I'd sync up using Ableton Link, run the two stereo pair to my Focusrite Saffire and then had a full keyboard to record MIDI. And I still have this but....

I haven't recorded much audio with my iPad so I may try but not worth it with the internal mic. Looking at the better interface options they use the lightning plug which is already taken by my plugKEY. I see there are some that use the microphone in so that looks like the only option without say sinking another $300 for something like the iCOnnectAUDIO4. It surprises me that Korg did not have the vision to provide audio input on that device or the ability to switch those jacks to inputs. They had to have known the direction they were going with Gadget. :(

I haven't fully gone through the apps yet but found disappointment in how the recording devices accept audio input. It allows input from your available of course so for me it says "Input 1". But they should have allowed any of the devices to act as input too. This could allow for the bouncing down of tracks should someone want to do so. Also the Rosario device is robust on effects geared towards guitars but I think could have just as beneficial to the gadgets if it allowed for device input. Again, I haven't spent much time with it. More savoy users out there may know a work-around but I feel we shouldn't have to.

Still a fan of the Gadgets though. Mac users will definitely benefit from this one. This on the heels of Roland's latest offerings in software seem to mark a significant move from these hardware giants and realize more music is now being made from software than hardware. Surprised it took them this long to get to this point.

kuhliloach

26 Mar 2017

I feel Gadget for iOS is an absolute MUST-own and in the special ways that it excels it is unmatched by any music software ever created for any platform.

I find the presets KORG presents in all the Gadgets well developed, great sounding, and very tasteful. The user interface on the iPad for entering notes into Gadget is very slick, possibly best-in-class. This makes Gadget a really fun composition tool. Some might find it the ideal writing platform for basic ideas. The process of tapping notes into Gadget makes competing mouse-based composition (desktop DAWS) an ergonomic mess in comparison.

After some experience with iPad audio I can easily integrate Gadget audio, or any app's audio, into Reason projects. Gadget can even be synced to Reason with Ableton Link. I use some special additional tools on iOS like Audioshare, AUM, Audiobus, and MIDIFlow for splits and better MIDI controller assigning.

The overall sound of Gadget is magic. I'm not sure about exactly what's going on behind the scenes in Gadget's engine but the output has a certain polish to it that is hard to define.

The comment above about state saving is accurate as things try to play nicely together. Combining strange apps on iOS is an adventure but I am constantly amazed at how well it usually goes. I am so impressed with what KORG has done I hope to eventually own everything they make for iOS. KORG Gadget is practically a killer-app that could justify the entire purchase of an iPad hardware device.

chimp_spanner

26 Mar 2017

Yeah like I hope my criticisms of Gadget weren't misunderstood - it's an amazing app. Not sure it's worthy of a 300 buck price tag on desktop but certainly on iPad it's a must have for anyone interested in music. Mum and dad were over today and I was showing them my Mini32 keyboard with the iPad, and like two or three solid ideas just came out of nowhere with gadget. So it's a very inspiring piece of software. I just feel like it could go further. And hopefully it will if Korg stay on it!!

joeyluck

26 Mar 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Not sure it's worthy of a 300 buck price tag on desktop but certainly on iPad it's a must have for anyone interested in music.
Well currently it's on sale for $199.

Also, I guess it's worth noting that the Mac version includes all the current Gadgets? Is that correct?
And with iPad you buy many of them separately?
What is the price on iPad if you do that?

Lizard

26 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Not sure it's worthy of a 300 buck price tag on desktop but certainly on iPad it's a must have for anyone interested in music.

Also, I guess it's worth noting that the Mac version includes all the current Gadgets? Is that correct?
All of that is true. But if you add up all that iOS has its about that if not a little under. However.... what it has on the Mac that the iOS version do not is VST/AU /AAV/NKS support. Don't believe the app does. Also, there is a little more real estate on the screen for the Mac Version but not a real estate worth $100 or so. But the convenience of having it in the computer working right next to your DAW and avoiding "integration" via other methods.... that's a sell. If it were PC I can't say I wouldn't be considering the same.

fieldframe
RE Developer

26 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:

Code: Select all

Base app		 $40
Bilbao			$10
Abu Dhabi		$10
Madrid			$10
Gladstone		$10
Kamata			$10

Total			 $90
So $90 for everything (not including other apps with Gadgets, which Gadget for Mac doesn't include).

Honestly though, given that it's almost the exact same functionality, I'd be happy with a crossgrade in the $50 range and would grudgingly pay $100, but at $200, I'm just not interested. And $300 is bananatown. I'll be surprised if they sell any once the introductory sale ends.

Lizard

26 Mar 2017

fieldframe wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Base app		 $40
Bilbao			$10
Abu Dhabi		$10
Madrid			$10
Gladstone		$10
Kamata			$10

Total			 $90
So $90 for everything (not including other apps with Gadgets, which Gadget for Mac doesn't include).

Honestly though, given that it's almost the exact same functionality, I'd be happy with a crossgrade in the $50 range and would grudgingly pay $100, but at $200, I'm just not interested. And $300 is bananatown. I'll be surprised if they sell any once the introductory sale ends.
I think it also includes Module, M1, ARP Odysee and Wavestation doesn't it? $30 + $20+ $30 +$30. I know for sure I saw the Modules in the line up and also thought I saw M1. Others... only assuming. They say 30 and there are 31 in total.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2017

fieldframe wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Base app		 $40
Bilbao			$10
Abu Dhabi		$10
Madrid			$10
Gladstone		$10
Kamata			$10

Total			 $90

Ok thanks.
Still a bit confused by the numbers. And I'm sure the Mac version is still going to calculate to more regardless...
But I had seen that the Mac version comes with 31 gadgets and the iOS version comes with 18. Are the rest free?
Is there a good place to look for this? And are those the current sale prices of the iOS gadgets? Because I think I did see something about a sale on individual gadgets with the release.

QVprod

27 Mar 2017

fieldframe wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Base app		 $40
Bilbao			$10
Abu Dhabi		$10
Madrid			$10
Gladstone		$10
Kamata			$10

Total			 $90
Actually it's a lot more than this. 31 gadgets total. iOS version comes with only 18. 8 of those gadgets require the purchase of Korg Module, iWavestation, Arp Odessyi and iM1 apps. Mac version comes with all of the content from those apps except iWavestaion/Milpitas which will be available in the next version.

So (full prices) 30+30+30+40= 130+90 (from above)= $220 total. Only an $80 difference between the iOS and Mac version. The difference could easily be factored in the 31 individual VST/AU gadget plugin versions convenience.

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Mar 2017

I missed that: Gadget versions of Module, ARP Odyssey, iWavestation and iM1 definitely change the value proposition quite a bit. Still, I can't help but think a much better model would have been to offer the Mac version with only the same core set of gadgets as the iOS version, at a lower price point.

Of course, what really would have been better is a cross-buy setup where your gadget library is synced over iCloud between Mac and iOS. As it stands, even if I spend $200 (or $300) on Gadget for Mac, now if I want to be able to open all files created on my Mac on my iPad, I'll have to go back to the App Store and spend another $130 to get Module, ARP Odyssey, iWavestation and iM1 for iOS! And unlike the surrounding software, it's not like the gadgets themselves were heavily modified for the desktop; you're buying almost the exact same thing twice.

kuhliloach

27 Mar 2017

wont u take me to-
bananatown!

tiker01

11 Apr 2017

You can now log in to Allihoopa with your KORG Gadget account!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information