Discover is now allihoopa.com!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mbfrancis

23 Feb 2016

Guys I have a stupid question, but there's now 'how to' page anywhere...can I *only* upload music from Reason (or take or figure)...so I can't upload from WAV or MP3. That's a bit of a drag, I'll have to go and re-open everything. Also limiting to the place's growth.

Still worth trying.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

joeyluck

23 Feb 2016

mbfrancis wrote:Guys I have a stupid question, but there's now 'how to' page anywhere...can I *only* upload music from Reason (or take or figure)...so I can't upload from WAV or MP3. That's a bit of a drag, I'll have to go and re-open everything. Also limiting to the place's growth.

Still worth trying.
This may change as it sounds like they are open to adding new ways to submit (according to the response from Mattias earlier in this thread).

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

23 Feb 2016

mbfrancis wrote:I've been really dismissive of Discover, but there does seem to be a lot of participation, and I still have >100 loops that are sitting on my hard drive, still unused.

I'm really looking for collaborators/producers/remixers for my electronic stuff, so this might be a good way for sympathetic people to find each other. Put some stuff out there and see how gravitates towards it? Has anyone found a collaborator there?
A lot of people have found each other, generally through the use of tags (#singtothis, #remixthis etc.) or direct mentions and comments on users songs. It's also an idea to simply share your uploaded pieces on Twitter or Facebook, you might already know someone who wants to do some music with you.
sinusfiction wrote:That sounds like a great idea! I hope Ableton Live is one of the candidates. Speaking of Ableton: I really like their new sync option Link, which also works like a charm with several mobile apps. Please consider to add this to Reason, Take and Figure! (and Rebirth? :thumbs_up: )
Feedback noted! I think Links pretty cool. :)
avasopht wrote:What are expectations, scope and lines of communication? Is Allihoopa open to discussion?

Are they warm, cold?
I'm sorry but I can't really discuss the inner workings, goals, scope and communications of the company on a forum. We try not to make promises or say too much, but the point of Allihoopa is not to only work with Propellerhead apps. :)

chimp_spanner

23 Feb 2016

I'm just really pleased to see that you're gearing the site up for Reason to take centre stage again. I've been telling people everywhere I go but it's become so integral to the work I'm doing. Was actually kind of unexpected considering how long I'd had a Reason license and how little I'd used it. But all of a sudden it's like damn...I'm in this software 50% of the time. I can't wait to see what's coming next!!

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote:
avasopht wrote:What are expectations, scope and lines of communication? Is Allihoopa open to discussion?

Are they warm, cold?
I'm sorry but I can't really discuss the inner workings, goals, scope and communications of the company on a forum. We try not to make promises or say too much, but the point of Allihoopa is not to only work with Propellerhead apps. :)
That's all I meant really, wasn't asking for inner workings or anything like that.

tiker01

23 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote:
mbfrancis wrote:
sinusfiction wrote:That sounds like a great idea! I hope Ableton Live is one of the candidates. Speaking of Ableton: I really like their new sync option Link, which also works like a charm with several mobile apps. Please consider to add this to Reason, Take and Figure! (and Rebirth? :thumbs_up: )

Are they warm, cold?

I like what I hear regarding Link, it would be great to have it in PH iOS Apps including Thor! and Rebirth. Of course I would love to have Link in Reason too perhaps along something similar but more advanced.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

tiker01

23 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote: Actually, I'm the Product Manager of Reason nowadays. :reason: :puf_bigsmile:
Congratulations.

As a first move could you please make sure that the little arrow returns to the Transport bar so we can hide it. ;)

Cheers

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

4filegate

23 Feb 2016

if I don't have a false perspective - my thought was a RE RackExtension which we receive in a Cubase 8.5 VST Transit

;) if we look over the garden fence http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 02#p243302

hal1200

23 Feb 2016

The_G wrote:Not sure I'm ever going to use it (for the aforementioned copyright reasons), but I like the rebranding. Will definitely be curious to see how the project develops.
Copyright is what's sucking the fun out of music.

"In the technological revolution, a few core values have been lost, or at least are sorely missing. Music making is inherently social."

I mean it's sucking the fun out of wanting to listen to music too.

When Spotify came along the only people who got paid where the labels.

As far as music making goes Reason is good at keeping it simple, not too many settings etc

The copyright cartel want this old as the titanic system for making money from music to go on forever but it just can't, it's too ineffecient.

Not an essay I'm just saying, I get the vibe that as soon as someone is worried publishing rights it kind of makes just doing music for fun less fun

23 Feb 2016

Thoughts:

1) I'm glad it has been spun off as a different company. I felt Reason wasn't receiving primary focus and as I am a huge fan of the software and long-time loyal customer, it scared me a bit. I didn't want Reason to be abandoned or left to languish - fear can make one irrational :D

2) The name is good because Google will find it :-). Discover was too generic. The cutesiness or quirkiness disappears over time.

3) Like others, I can't quite get my head around the liberal license - I think I am too old or perhaps too narrow-minded. So, if you wrote a song and uploaded it to Allihoopa and Adele recorded a version that became a #1 hit, would you be owed royalties? If someone put your chorus note for note and word for word in their #1 hit would you be co-writer and owed royalties?

4) I can see myself using it as a way to get my name out there as a session musician or producer by adding instrumental arrangements to other people's works. However, I would be very uncomfortable uploading any original compositions.

Not that I think I'm a potential hit-machine but writing that one hit song is kind of one of those half-crazed dreams that us hacks have - slightly below a lottery win on the reality scale. :lol:

Resonator

23 Feb 2016

tiker01 wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:
mbfrancis wrote:

Are they warm, cold?

I like what I hear regarding Link, it would be great to have it in PH iOS Apps including Thor! and Rebirth. Of course I would love to have Link in Reason too perhaps along something similar but more advanced.
+ 1

Link would be great with Reason, ReBirth, and especially with Thor's arpeggiator.

joeyluck

23 Feb 2016

6502 wrote:Thoughts:

1) I'm glad it has been spun off as a different company. I felt Reason wasn't receiving primary focus and as I am a huge fan of the software and long-time loyal customer, it scared me a bit. I didn't want Reason to be abandoned or left to languish - fear can make one irrational :D

2) The name is good because Google will find it :-). Discover was too generic. The cutesiness or quirkiness disappears over time.

3) Like others, I can't quite get my head around the liberal license - I think I am too old or perhaps too narrow-minded. So, if you wrote a song and uploaded it to Allihoopa and Adele recorded a version that became a #1 hit, would you be owed royalties? If someone put your chorus note for note and word for word in their #1 hit would you be co-writer and owed royalties?

4) I can see myself using it as a way to get my name out there as a session musician or producer by adding instrumental arrangements to other people's works. However, I would be very uncomfortable uploading any original compositions.

Not that I think I'm a potential hit-machine but writing that one hit song is kind of one of those half-crazed dreams that us hacks have - slightly below a lottery win on the reality scale. :lol:
What I wish for at the very least is a Creative Commons Attribution license, so that Adele will owe you credit on the song. That doesn't seem too hard to implement with the Terms and I don't see it breaking any of that.

This: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Why can't we have something like this?
CC-Attribution.png
CC-Attribution.png (87.97 KiB) Viewed 2430 times

Zerosity

23 Feb 2016

I wish it were more like Github where I can attribute whatever license I want to my project. And if no license is provided the default is Creative Commons Attributions.

That way we can retain the rights to our creations and if someone breaks the licensing attached, there's legal recourse the creator can use. With the correct licensing used, sharing and collaboration can be retained but still protect artists from for profit use.

gak

24 Feb 2016

Let it go :lol:

They don't care, or they would have done that. It's been mentioned countless times. See how the only questions being answered are the ones that avoid this completely? ;)

zakalwe

24 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote:
6502 wrote:Thoughts:

What I wish for at the very least is a Creative Commons Attribution license, so that Adele will owe you credit on the song. That doesn't seem too hard to implement with the Terms and I don't see it breaking any of that.

This: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Why can't we have something like this?
CC-Attribution.png
yeah, having a freesound.org approach with varying levels of licencing would instantly make it useful, along with providing plugin support for movie stuidio/imovie etc so you can add music to youtube videos with confidence. i've stuck out a couple of gaming vids with creative commons music licences, there's a chap whose name i forget who has a whole website full of fantastic stuff. i just have to copy pasta a credit for him in and i don't have to worry about getting a strike. an integrated browsing/licence attribution system for artists would be really great added value.

zeebot

24 Feb 2016

The whole copyright/intellectual property thing really needs sorting out for sure.
If I was to actually use discover/allihoopa I wouldn't put up anything that I thought was really good that I had made because I know that it no longer belongs to me as soon as it is uploaded. I'm sure there are other people that feel the same which is detrimental to the quality that will be uploaded.
I'm not saying personally I'm some sort of creative genius (far from it), I make music casually and dont count on it as a career and livelihood but others do.
Maybe I'm looking at it all the wrong way and should be looking at it like a P2P network? Seeders who are prepared to share their content and leechers who want to grab content? Trouble is the content shared isn't the creator's best content or at least shouldn't be if they have their head screwed on.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2016

zeebot wrote:The whole copyright/intellectual property thing really needs sorting out for sure.
If I was to actually use discover/allihoopa I wouldn't put up anything that I thought was really good that I had made because I know that it no longer belongs to me as soon as it is uploaded. I'm sure there are other people that feel the same which is detrimental to the quality that will be uploaded.
I'm not saying personally I'm some sort of creative genius (far from it), I make music casually and dont count on it as a career and livelihood but others do.
Maybe I'm looking at it all the wrong way and should be looking at it like a P2P network? Seeders who are prepared to share their content and leechers who want to grab content? Trouble is the content shared isn't the creator's best content or at least shouldn't be if they have their head screwed on.
I don't think you're looking at it wrong. It is a good thing to not want to be exploited for someone else's gain. A copyleft license is a must, in fact I think that getting copy-left right could be a game changer and not adopting it could see you getting left right behind.

The_G

24 Feb 2016

Zerosity wrote:I wish it were more like Github where I can attribute whatever license I want to my project. And if no license is provided the default is Creative Commons Attributions.

That way we can retain the rights to our creations and if someone breaks the licensing attached, there's legal recourse the creator can use. With the correct licensing used, sharing and collaboration can be retained but still protect artists from for profit use.
If it had something like this, I'd use it. Since it doesn't, I'm unlikely to do so.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

joeyluck

24 Feb 2016

zakalwe wrote:yeah, having a freesound.org approach with varying levels of licencing would instantly make it useful, along with providing plugin support for movie stuidio/imovie etc so you can add music to youtube videos with confidence. i've stuck out a couple of gaming vids with creative commons music licences, there's a chap whose name i forget who has a whole website full of fantastic stuff. i just have to copy pasta a credit for him in and i don't have to worry about getting a strike. an integrated browsing/licence attribution system for artists would be really great added value.
I would like this as well, but was just trying to think along the lines of how they want to keep it simple and open. I think people posting 'no derivative works' or 'no commercial use' might make it complicated for what it seeks to be? Or I suppose for those tracks that seek 'no derivative works,' the 'Build Upon This' button would simply be missing...and in place of it, a note of the license and 'Listen Only.'

I think much of it can get complicated with things that can get lost in translation when people are working with tracks built from several pieces. Whether parts of it are 'no commercial use' or something else. I suppose the way it could work is you agree to the same rights as the first poster with which you build upon. For instance, if they choose no commercial use, but yes to derivative works... Then your submission following it would hold the same license and the same for those who build upon yours.

But I was thinking for starters, that having an underlying license that simply asks for credit to be given when shared/sold outside of Allihoopa. I don't think that introduces a barrier at all. And then maybe it could work it's way into offering licensing options.

jfrichards

24 Feb 2016

One nice little feature to Allihoopa is that if you go into Explore from the front page and scroll down, you have the option to choose browse by app. I've been wading through a thousand Figure clips to find the cool Reason or Take pieces for months now. Much better now (maybe it was there before, but I didn't see it).

joeyluck

24 Feb 2016

jfrichards wrote:One nice little feature to Allihoopa is that if you go into Explore from the front page and scroll down, you have the option to choose browse by app. I've been wading through a thousand Figure clips to find the cool Reason or Take pieces for months now. Much better now (maybe it was there before, but I didn't see it).
It was there before at the bottom. But it looks like the page is condensed now, so you find it much quicker.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote: I would like this as well, but was just trying to think along the lines of how they want to keep it simple and open. I think people posting 'no derivative works' or 'no commercial use' might make it complicated for what it seeks to be? Or I suppose for those tracks that seek 'no derivative works,' the 'Build Upon This' button would simply be missing...and in place of it, a note of the license and 'Listen Only.'

I think much of it can get complicated with things that can get lost in translation when people are working with tracks built from several pieces. Whether parts of it are 'no commercial use' or something else. I suppose the way it could work is you agree to the same rights as the first poster with which you build upon. For instance, if they choose no commercial use, but yes to derivative works... Then your submission following it would hold the same license and the same for those who build upon yours.

But I was thinking for starters, that having an underlying license that simply asks for credit to be given when shared/sold outside of Allihoopa. I don't think that introduces a barrier at all. And then maybe it could work it's way into offering licensing options.
It's not complicated at all, this forum and 90% of the web is powered by copy-left. The basic model is, if may only publish a derived work under the same license that allows anyone else to create a derivative work. You can additionally choose to (a) limit derived works to non-commercial releases, (b) require that the file used to produce your derived work be freely available (c) require attribution.

satyr32

24 Feb 2016

I first was excited about Discover till I learned this is not about sharing Reason Files but Audio. Sharing the midi, presets, fx, etc. would be so much powerful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

joeyluck

24 Feb 2016

Mattias, I notice that there is no longer a survey available. There is also no email contact listed for Allihoopa directly.
Is there a particular contact to send requests/suggestions? The Facebook page? Thanks!

jfrichards

24 Feb 2016

Can anyone give me an example of a situation where a non-famous, non-wealthy musician was ripped off by someone stealing their music in the past 20 years? Just wondering how widespread the problem is.

• Information