Allihoopa terms updated: others cannot monetize your work without your permission

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

QVprod

15 Nov 2017

iii. Users are NOT allowed to make money from the sale, license or other exploitation of any Content on the Service, including original Content that user has contributed unless the user is exploiting ONLY that Content that the user owns in its entirety.
About time! This is what kept many people from using it.

WillyOD

15 Nov 2017

Yeah I don't realize what they were thinking originally. I had lots of stuff unfinished stuff on Allihoopa (mostly for my personal, easier access) and then someone pointed out the terms and I immediately deleted everything. Not that I really think anyone would profit from using my tunes, but still...
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

joeyluck

16 Nov 2017

Yeah this is great. I would have been happy with just requiring credit attribution when hosting outside of Allihoopa. And not allowing the selling of unaltered works (similar to sample use and licensing).

I think they just wanted to remove all potential barriers in the beginning. And dealing with terms of service and the legal side of things isn't always so simple.

Compared to all the other collaboration services, Allihoopa in my eyes is the most successful because of the lack of so many barriers. No other site is as fun for me to browse and listen to music or as painless and easy to collaborate :thumbs_up:

jfrichards

16 Nov 2017

Finally Ernst is admitting his original mistake on this system. His first concept of the trustworthiness of every music producer who might come into contact with Reason users' music was clearly pointed out as a mistake from day one and he has finally come to see the error of his ways, even if motivated by altruism and a utopian world. He severely underestimated the back thought of all musicians that it would be nice to make a hit and make some money, as unlikely as it may be. He should have participated more in the discussions from day one, and not dismissed people's concerns as coming from those who simply did not understand Ernst. Ernst is of course not admitting any mistake, just changing the policy to what everyone advised. This is a good step forward and will encourage musicians to use Allihoopa knowing the musical content of their work is better protected. It is a great system whereby one can compose and perform songs in fabulous Reason and put it right up there for collaboration, with single buttons for uploading and downloading from and into Reason, all set up for orchestrating and re-sequencing compositions immediately. This is an unbelievable concept that musicians will love. Congratulations. I will love seeing this take off. ( and it is a big step towards immediately sending multi-track works to each other).

Catblack

16 Nov 2017

I would like to see perhaps an Allihoopa blog post with a simplified sample contract (pdf) for giving non-exclusive permission to have your song or sample monetized. That is, I think it's great that Allihoopa changed their TOS, but showing people how the next step might look like would be beneficial. I know music rights are a minefield, but a little simple handholding would go a long way towards connecting smaller musical hobbyists together through their service.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

moneykube

17 Nov 2017

can't get this out of head when that name is mentioned :lol:
look at that caveman go
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

chimp_spanner

20 Nov 2017

Great move! I'd actually consider using it now :)

jfrichards

20 Nov 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Nov 2017
Great move! I'd actually consider using it now :)
Go for it Paul. I promise to download it and totally f^*k it up for you.

Marco Raaphorst

20 Nov 2017

Weird that many of the stuff I predicted years ago and now suddenly happening... well better late than never :D

djadalaide

12 Jun 2018

I happen to think this is not a good move.

Let me explain why.

Someone takes a small snippet of your music, uses it and creates something new - yet they can't put it on their album.

Then you in turn take a small snippet or vocal, create something new and.. same thing, you can't use it.

It actually discourages people from working on other peoples tracks, which is the whole point behind the site.

If everybody posted their music, and ended up using bits and pieces of other peoples work it would even out, even though someone has used your music, you have used someone elses - so it balanced out before.

Now its a bit meh. I will continue to post music on the site, but remixing seems kind of like a lost cause - because THEY can't use the remix, and neither can you!!

tiker01

12 Jun 2018

djadalaide wrote:
12 Jun 2018
I happen to think this is not a good move.

Let me explain why.

Someone takes a small snippet of your music, uses it and creates something new - yet they can't put it on their album.

Then you in turn take a small snippet or vocal, create something new and.. same thing, you can't use it.

It actually discourages people from working on other peoples tracks, which is the whole point behind the site.

If everybody posted their music, and ended up using bits and pieces of other peoples work it would even out, even though someone has used your music, you have used someone elses - so it balanced out before.

Now its a bit meh. I will continue to post music on the site, but remixing seems kind of like a lost cause - because THEY can't use the remix, and neither can you!!
You can reach out and ask permission to use a given sample in a commercial release. You can agree on giving only credit without paying a royalty.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2018

djadalaide wrote:
12 Jun 2018

That's not what I read. You can USE anything you want, you just can't monetize it (sell it) without first getting an agreement with the owner.

I would think everyone would see this as a good thing. It's not about interfering with users at a similar level who are sharing their work with each other, it's about the possibility of someone taking your work and potentially using it in a track that makes thousands or even millions, and not having to pay you a penny in return based on the agreement.

That possibility has been rectified with the new agreement, as far as I can tell from what I've read. Someone please correct this information if it's not correct!
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

12 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
12 Jun 2018
djadalaide wrote:
12 Jun 2018

That's not what I read. You can USE anything you want, you just can't monetize it (sell it) without first getting an agreement with the owner.

I would think everyone would see this as a good thing. It's not about interfering with users at a similar level who are sharing their work with each other, it's about the possibility of someone taking your work and potentially using it in a track that makes thousands or even millions, and not having to pay you a penny in return based on the agreement.

That possibility has been rectified with the new agreement, as far as I can tell from what I've read. Someone please correct this information if it's not correct!
Yeah, it's actually close to how "the internet" seem to understand copyright anyway: It's obvious that you can't go and sell that (piece of art) as it is but you can make a youtube channel with memes derived from it and put ads on that. (I do see that even this would violate the AH license now though!)

Good Luck!

15 Sep 2018

What program do you use?

• Information