No More Reason Companion Sound Packs for Reason 12?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StephenHutchinson

Post 09 Jul 2024

I've noticed in the Reason Companion the last 5 sound packs (as of today, July 9th, 2024) have been only for Reason 13. I'm wondering if there will be compatible sound packs for people who have not or will not upgrade to Reason 13. Anyone have any idea? :puf_smile:
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

PhillipOrdonez

Post 09 Jul 2024

I don't think a lot of people on r+ aren't upgrading so i don't think they are thinking about that. Likely most packs for a while will use the new toys, maybe all of them will now that the new toys allow for much more flexibility... Who knows... The question is, if you're on plus, why are you not upgrading? 🤔

challism

Post 09 Jul 2024

Unless I'm mistaken, the only thing that would make a sound pack incompatible with R12 would be the inclusion of a new device in the Combinator patch (ie, one of the new tools, the new player, Polytone, and/or Ripley). If the Combi patch doesn't include any of those devices, it should load/work in R12. You would also be able to use the audio samples (if any exists). However, there might be a problem downloading the sound pack if R13 isn't installed.

Also, again if I'm not mistaken, Companion sound packs are only available to R+ subscribers. Users who are subscribed to R+ have full access to the latest version of Reason (R13, in this case). A user who is subscribed isn't "upgraded" by definition, since they don't (necessarily) own a perpetual license. So the OP question is a bit flawed.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

StephenHutchinson

Post 09 Jul 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Jul 2024
I don't think a lot of people on r+ aren't upgrading so i don't think they are thinking about that. Likely most packs for a while will use the new toys, maybe all of them will now that the new toys allow for much more flexibility... Who knows... The question is, if you're on plus, why are you not upgrading? 🤔
Thanks for the reply Phillip, much appreciated. I am on Reason+ but I wanted to keep my Reason 12 install as well. I installed Reason 13 beta on my Windows machine and when testing it, I thought that it would wholly separate than Reason 12. When I went back to open up Reason 12, almost 90% of my VST/VST3 thumbnails were missing, and there were various other things such as the Reason Companion not downloading sound packs and a variety of other things I had to fix. It took a a fair bit of time assigning thumbnails.

As it is, thankfully I didn't put R13 on my main Mac Mini M1 machine, and I know that the latest download is available today, but I'm still wary of the bugs that have been reported since I installed/deinstalled that have not been fixed.

I totally get that Reason Studios want's to load up the Companion with the latest instruments and effects Sound Packs. I'm just hoping that Reason Studios isn't going to just abandon the people who are still on R12 in terms of R12 compatible Sound Packs.

joeyluck

Post 09 Jul 2024

Yeah I think people on Reason+ who are not on R13 and are interested in new packs might be pretty rare? Keeping in mind that Reason+ began with R11 and every patch from every pack for the past few years has been made with the new Combinator, which makes all of those packs incompatible with R11. So I would guess that going forward, if there are packs compatible with R12, it will be by chance.

Even aside from new devices, other devices get updated, such as 13.0.1 which updated Mimic with a bug fix, which is used often in packs.

StephenHutchinson

Post 09 Jul 2024

Thanks Joeyluck for the information. That all makes sense. I'll give 'er another go on my Windows machine and see what's what. :puf_smile:

Popey
Competition Winner

Post 10 Jul 2024

joeyluck wrote:
09 Jul 2024
Yeah I think people on Reason+ who are not on R13 and are interested in new packs might be pretty rare? Keeping in mind that Reason+ began with R11 and every patch from every pack for the past few years has been made with the new Combinator, which makes all of those packs incompatible with R11. So I would guess that going forward, if there are packs compatible with R12, it will be by chance.

Even aside from new devices, other devices get updated, such as 13.0.1 which updated Mimic with a bug fix, which is used often in packs.
Hi Joey, do you happen to know what the bug fix for mimic was? I was just wondering if the bug is something a r12 user would still have and if it's something to watch out for or be aware of?

joeyluck

Post 10 Jul 2024

Popey wrote:
10 Jul 2024
joeyluck wrote:
09 Jul 2024

Hi Joey, do you happen to know what the bug fix for mimic was? I was just wondering if the bug is something a r12 user would still have and if it's something to watch out for or be aware of?
I don't. I just know it was related to a crash on Windows.

Popey
Competition Winner

Post 10 Jul 2024

joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2024
Popey wrote:
10 Jul 2024

I don't. I just know it was related to a crash on Windows.
No worries, I use windows and haven't had any crashes with it yet but it's a device I very rarely used until very recently.

Nice to be aware should I encounter this at any point.

selig
RE Developer

Post 10 Jul 2024

StephenHutchinson wrote:
09 Jul 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Jul 2024
Thanks for the reply Phillip, much appreciated. I am on Reason+ but I wanted to keep my Reason 12 install as well. I installed Reason 13 beta on my Windows machine and when testing it, I thought that it would wholly separate than Reason 12. When I went back to open up Reason 12, almost 90% of my VST/VST3 thumbnails were missing, and there were various other things such as the Reason Companion not downloading sound packs and a variety of other things I had to fix. It took a a fair bit of time assigning thumbnails.

As it is, thankfully I didn't put R13 on my main Mac Mini M1 machine, and I know that the latest download is available today, but I'm still wary of the bugs that have been reported since I installed/deinstalled that have not been fixed.

I totally get that Reason Studios want's to load up the Companion with the latest instruments and effects Sound Packs. I'm just hoping that Reason Studios isn't going to just abandon the people who are still on R12 in terms of R12 compatible Sound Packs.
I can't say if this is related, but there was a bug that prevented 12 and 13 from running at the same time, which has been squashed with the most recent release as of July 9th 2024:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7534710

I've been running 13 with no issues (on a Mac M1 Studio).
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information