Are you upgrading to Reason 13?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you upgrading to R13?

Yes
27%
No
52%
Unsure
22%

Total votes: 277
Ghostrunner

Post 20 Jun 2024

thedjjudah wrote:
19 Jun 2024
If I was upgrading to 13 from 12, then I would be more hesitant. But since I'm upgrading from Reason 10, that means I get new combinator, curved automation, Mimic, and all the new devices in R13. Which, to me, is definitely worth the 199.
Same boat, also still on R10, won't be upgrading to R13 though. Initially I was really excited and thought this is finally the version for me to upgrade, but now after watching all the videos, I'm a bit disillusioned. I don't like the browser at all, it's counterintuitive to my personal workflow; still no midi-routing, no midi-chase, track folders, track freeze, you've heard about missing basic features a thousand times. Now I wish I had upgraded to R12, for VST3 compatibility.

tomusurp

Post 20 Jun 2024

it's interesting. i'm an R11 suite owner and R+ user but I barely even update R+ because I think Reason is already great strictly in terms of music-making and mixing + mastering. These are the 2 things I do and Reason gives me super fast access to both (I'm also an FL and Logic user) So the R13 trailers just didn't convince me. Not to mention I have plenty of creativity options with my current version as well as a slew of VSTs like synths and effects I could make music for the next million years. And I'm fine with the current browser. If the trailer came out with something super intuitive or really innovative then I would jump on it, but it's like "browser window, sidechain tool"

So for now I'm still sticking with 12

Yonatan

Post 20 Jun 2024

I choose unsure because I think upgrade price is too steep coming from R12. I dont know how long we had to struggle with distable beta version of R12, so m honest humble opinion is that all we who bougjt the R12 deep inside feel like we had to go through lots of struggle and waiting for things that was promised but delayed. Why not give us at least half the upgrade price and it still lands on say €$£99 which almost been what we had long time as a standard price. As a swede, our currency rate is riddiculously bad so €199 would be even more expensive than ever before, and €99 ould maybe land on the old €129 price in reality because bad currency. Some will ofcourse even feel that this is not enough for then to upgrade but I would at least upgrade instantly if that was an intro offer, because of the fairness of it.
RS raised prices when we struggled the most with R12, while R+ sub has had many offers. Bur for us with a bit older laptops, and bought many RE separately, we want to stay in perpetual a bit longer.

luckygreen

Post 20 Jun 2024

michael.jaye wrote:
18 Jun 2024
The shocking exchange rate here in Australia plus just not having the money will mean I'm not upgrading, even if there are any discounts/sales.

I'm more than happy with R12, any features in R13 would just be a bit of a bonus.

If they did an update which allowed all Reason content/refills/RE's to be stored on a different drive, I"d upgrade in a heartbeat.
Are you on Windows? You can do it yourself via symbolic links. I posted a list here.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

Neo

Post 20 Jun 2024

I don't recall anyone complaining about R12s browser and window location. Either way, I cant see my self paying for a removed feature (especially at the exchange rate we have here). Look forward to seeing what happens with future builds.
-
Kudos to Mattias for least acknowledging the removable of R12s fave.folder feature in the live stream video.
Hopefully Mattias and Ryan enjoyed a drink after getting through the questions/stream.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Marc Swing

Post 20 Jun 2024

BeReasonable wrote:
20 Jun 2024
I won't be upgrading to any version as long as they have the favorites list removed. Paying $200 for a less productive workflow isn't progress.

And I know people suggest workarounds but I've been using reason since Reason 2 and I'm getting tired of workarounds and compromises and excuses of why reason breaks this, doesn't add that, doesn't fix something or doesn't have a feature 99% of other daws have had for years.

After Enduring 20 years of slow development and mental gymnastics from reason fanboys as to why we can't have basic improvements - heck, sometimes it's why we should be HAPPY we don't have basic improvements because those things make reason special (no VST, cough cough cough), I'm done being a reason paypig.

Even if they revert the change to favorites, it still isn't worth $200. It's not even worth $100. Mainly just repackaged synths and effects that are outclassed by VSTs that aren't tied into a dying DAW.
100% THIS!!!

Hell, i don't even want to use the new browser at all!

It's just a pain in the a*s to use.

Give me back my favorites/folders so i can have my favorite plugins/Re as i want to arrange them, and give me the option to add my favorite folders for (samples, patches, songs, etc.) so i can just click on that folder and BOOM! There are my to-go samples, patches, songs, etc.

I wanna see thumbnails of the devices not just a bunch of flat text of different vendors and such (i search visually) and the new browser destroy that totally!

I don't even want to open the new browser and jump through hoops and click that and click this to find what i want.

Damn, i really HATE this new browser! 

Neo

Post 20 Jun 2024

Marc Swing wrote:
20 Jun 2024
BeReasonable wrote:
20 Jun 2024
I won't be upgrading to any version as long as they have the favorites list removed. Paying $200 for a less productive workflow isn't progress.

And I know people suggest workarounds but I've been using reason since Reason 2 and I'm getting tired of workarounds and compromises and excuses of why reason breaks this, doesn't add that, doesn't fix something or doesn't have a feature 99% of other daws have had for years.

After Enduring 20 years of slow development and mental gymnastics from reason fanboys as to why we can't have basic improvements - heck, sometimes it's why we should be HAPPY we don't have basic improvements because those things make reason special (no VST, cough cough cough), I'm done being a reason paypig.

Even if they revert the change to favorites, it still isn't worth $200. It's not even worth $100. Mainly just repackaged synths and effects that are outclassed by VSTs that aren't tied into a dying DAW.
100% THIS!!!

Hell, i don't even want to use the new browser at all!

It's just a pain in the a*s to use.

Give me back my favorites/folders so i can have my favorite plugins/Re as i want to arrange them, and give me the option to add my favorite folders for (samples, patches, songs, etc.) so i can just click on that folder and BOOM! There are my to-go samples, patches, songs, etc.

I wanna see thumbnails of the devices not just a bunch of flat text of different vendors and such (i search visually) and the new browser destroy that totally!

I don't even want to open the new browser and jump through hoops and click that and click this to find what i want.

Damn, i really HATE this new browser! 
I vehemently dislike the new browser myself lol

sdst
Competition Winner

Post 20 Jun 2024

I will update when it is on sale, or wait reason 14

_andreypetr_

Post 20 Jun 2024

Can someone share how browser looks in RRP? I tried to find it but even on stream seems to be no clue to what it looks and functions like. I've only know that it became worse

Neo

Post 20 Jun 2024

_andreypetr_ wrote:
20 Jun 2024
Can someone share how browser looks in RRP? I tried to find it but even on stream seems to be no clue to what it looks and functions like. I've only know that it became worse

Screenshot 2024.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Neo on 20 Jun 2024, edited 1 time in total.

mind2069

Post 20 Jun 2024

I wanted to at least try it side to side with Reason 12 but it seem's there a problem having them side by side.

How could such a basic bug come along. No one had Reason 13 (beta) and 12 side by side while testing.

_andreypetr_

Post 20 Jun 2024

Neo wrote:
20 Jun 2024
_andreypetr_ wrote:
20 Jun 2024

Screenshot 2024.png
RRP is reason rack plugin (vst3)
You shared a link and screenshot with Reason DAW. Or there's a moment in video with RRP?

PhillipOrdonez

Post 20 Jun 2024

_andreypetr_ wrote:
20 Jun 2024
It became much better, imo, and looks and works exactly the same as on standalone.

Aosta

Post 20 Jun 2024

Marc Swing wrote:
20 Jun 2024

This is how a lot of people work (me included). I'm a folder digger, sound finder and favourites collector, I don't care about generic tags and other people's vague interpretations of what type or 'genre' the sound is supposed to fit into.
As I said in another thread why not make the workflow 'improvements' as an optional update alternative workspace? Other programs give an option to load alternative spaces or even create your own.
Tend the flame

gullum

Post 20 Jun 2024

I will upgrade but I'm not in any hurry. 1 month vacation in the Philippines first after that we will see how soon I will upgrade

avasopht
Competition Winner

Post 20 Jun 2024

This is why new features take time.

Getting it right without removing anything is tricky.

And this isn't even a feature that affects backwards compatibility.

selig
RE Developer

Post 20 Jun 2024

mind2069 wrote:
20 Jun 2024
I wanted to at least try it side to side with Reason 12 but it seem's there a problem having them side by side.

How could such a basic bug come along. No one had Reason 13 (beta) and 12 side by side while testing.
I had it side by side up to the day of release, often running them literally side by side with zero issues. I’m not sure when this bug came up but it wasn’t something that affected me at all.
As I understand it the solution is simple, DL and install R12 again and everything works.
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

Post 20 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
20 Jun 2024
mind2069 wrote:
20 Jun 2024

I had it side by side up to the day of release, often running them literally side by side with zero issues. I’m not sure when this bug came up but it wasn’t something that affected me at all.
As I understand it the solution is simple, DL and install R12 again and everything works.
Selig that is not enough because the resourse folders are the same for 12 and 13, ie. If you reeinstal 12, 13 won't work and vice versa because the RCPC files are copied over. The bug was introduced only in production. So if you were using a beta RC or something like that, those were placed in a R13 beta folder inside programdata (or the equivalent place on OSX).

For people who are on windows, i created a batch that you run before opening R13 or R12 and it will copy the correct files. I posted it here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7534522

I believe the same code can be created on bash for OSX, converting it to mac shouldnt be difficult.

selig
RE Developer

Post 20 Jun 2024

mcatalao wrote:
20 Jun 2024
Selig that is not enough because the resourse folders are the same for 12 and 13, ie. If you reeinstal 12, 13 won't work and vice versa because the RCPC files are copied over. The bug was introduced only in production. So if you were using a beta RC or something like that, those were placed in a R13 beta folder inside programdata (or the equivalent place on OSX).
I was responding to someones question of why this did not come up in testing, specifically the question of "didn't anyone have them side by side during testing".
"I had them side by side during testing" was my natural response, to indicate testers did not "miss" this bug. As you point out, it was introduced during production. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

Post 20 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
20 Jun 2024
mcatalao wrote:
20 Jun 2024
I was responding to someones question of why this did not come up in testing, specifically the question of "didn't anyone have them side by side during testing".
"I had them side by side during testing" was my natural response, to indicate testers did not "miss" this bug. As you point out, it was introduced during production. :)
Yep. Testers weren't at fault here! LOL

chimp_spanner

Post 20 Jun 2024

I had 12 and 13 the whole time. The only thing that didn't work was the optional content disappeared from 12. Otherwise they both opened.

mind2069

Post 20 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
20 Jun 2024
mind2069 wrote:
20 Jun 2024

The issue is stated by "MattiasHG Reason Studios" here unless I missread,

I don't want to install/uninstall each time I switch from 12 to 13

---------------

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7534500

Hi! This is a bug we caught last minute, Reason 13 changes the shared resources that Reason 12 uses so the last installed version takes precedence. You can re-install Reason 12 at any time and it'll work fine. We're fixing this ASAP in a point update, sorry about that!

---------------

SauceMerchant

Post 20 Jun 2024

"In Reason 13 we’ve updated our sound bank library with all new patches, samples, REX loops, demo songs and song starter templates. Sometimes your own sound starts with one of our sounds."

Anyone have a hard number/guestimate or list of the new Reason patches/samples/loops/sounds now included in stand alone version?

i.e. is it a very noticable sheet load of nice new patches, or ..........?

ltbrunt00

Post 20 Jun 2024

I just noticed I can open all VST instruments simultaneously without having to check any boxes or enabling any secondary function, I used R13 in the beta and loved it and didn't notice this.

I am calling it, this is the best version of Reason.

When I first started using it I was annoyed that my old work flows got blow away but at the end of the first week I realized everything is now 10 times better and easier to get access to.

Now we just need to get that score to video baked into Reason.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Re8et
Competition Winner

Post 20 Jun 2024

With Rsn 12 upgrade we got the Drum player, which was pretty neat, plus Standalone mixer channel modules, a ton of NEW Presets (!!!) and the Zoom function...

Rsn 13 for now is basically a new FX module, Ripley, and a PolySynth, similar to Subtractor in some ways (which is NICE!!), and new Gain, stereo modules (again, very Nice)
Yeah, a lot of good stuff.

Idk yet. Probably I'll wait a little bit. Not in a Hurry. But a new Player addition would be nice.. ( Or a complete bugfix to PolyStep player...)
Last edited by Re8et on 20 Jun 2024, edited 1 time in total.

• Information