Are you upgrading to Reason 13?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you upgrading to R13?

Yes
27%
No
52%
Unsure
22%

Total votes: 277
tewoc

Post 27 Jun 2024

Just a simple video player, for the start, then later some update to it.

Ahhh shit, I forgot: Devices never get updated so they have to be always super duper. Mhhh ok than we need the ultimate super duper power mega video player!

So lets wait ... mhhhh.... I guess another 2 or 3 years for it?

I think people will switch to other DAW before.

Ciócnlusion: Simple player to have something to competete and then update it or no player for upcoming years.

Whoopdee

Post 27 Jun 2024

This is so embarrassing for ReasonStudios, stop wasting money on marketing based on the cringiest take on demographic user bases I've ever seen come from a DAW company and start writing some real DAW updates that aren't just a few tweaks and new PLUGINS for 200 bucks!

PhillipOrdonez

Post 27 Jun 2024

tewoc wrote:
27 Jun 2024

Ahhh shit, I forgot: Devices never get updated so they have to be always super duper. Mhhh ok than we need the ultimate super duper power mega video player!

Ciócnlusion: Simple player to have something to competete and then update it or no player for upcoming years.
They do get updated now, iirc.

joeyluck

Post 27 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
27 Jun 2024
joeyluck wrote:
24 Jun 2024

Yes, that's exactly my point. There is a big difference between scoring and soundtrack music / music submitted to a catalog. The whole point of this was about syncing to picture and why those of us who do scoring would need video support.
I don’t disagree - those who do scoring need video support. Not simple “load a video and play along” but full professional support including SMPTE and other advanced features to match those DAWs which have been doing it for decades now.
Do you REALLY think RS can deliver this feature at the level professionals need?

But maybe I’ve misunderstood what you’re suggesting? Are you asking for a dirt simple imbedded video player with no controls other than the ability to load a video and play it back in the timeline? Or something more advanced with additional features at the level of other DAWs? I’m guessing this may be where any confusion between us is coming from…
Yeah just simple video sync and playback support that does a better job than VidPlayVST would be nice. Would also be helpful if they were to fix the VstTimeInfo issue so that VidPlayVST could work better and as intended.

tewoc

Post 27 Jun 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Jun 2024
tewoc wrote:
27 Jun 2024

They do get updated now, iirc.
Not really, only in very special cases and even there only to the minimum, like the combinator 2 or this reverb. Or do you see the feature "copy slots" - which was requestet - now in Reason 13 for Mimic or Europa synthesizers?

SauceMerchant

Post 27 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jun 2024

Yeah just simple video sync and playback support that does a better job than VidPlayVST would be nice. Would also be helpful if they were to fix the VstTimeInfo issue so that VidPlayVST could work better and as intended.
^^ ya, what Joey said! ^^

I've looked at VidPlay a number of times but with Cubase just a double click away, I never tried VidPlay out yet. It would be great to not have to leave Reason and disturb the creative flow at all.

Noises

Post 28 Jun 2024

https://news.slashdot.org/story/24/06/2 ... t-creators

With all due respect to Reason Studios for creating such a great program, I am hardly one to complain (and I will upgrade at some point, can't break a perfect record since version 1), but video is a thing with Gen Z (see the link above). I think basic video support is a must for any DAW in this day and age. Personally, I would use the feature and my needs are simple. I need to sync and replace audio I recorded (and perhaps post-processed) in Reason within a video I simultaneously recorded on my iPad (i.e. me playing piano live or something). Logic is so painful to use. I would rather record the audio in Reason as it is so simple and straightforward to do so. Plus, yeah, it would be fun to load a random video and create a soundtrack for it. I'm not doing this for money, just for fun (like the majority of Reason users?), so I'm not competing with AI. :thumbup:

SauceMerchant

Post 29 Jun 2024

Noises wrote:
28 Jun 2024

With all due respect to Reason Studios for creating such a great program, I am hardly one to complain (and I will upgrade at some point, can't break a perfect record since version 1), but video is a thing with Gen Z (see the link above). I think basic video support is a must for any DAW in this day and age. Personally, I would use the feature and my needs are simple. I need to sync and replace audio I recorded (and perhaps post-processed) in Reason within a video I simultaneously recorded on my iPad (i.e. me playing piano live or something). Logic is so painful to use. I would rather record the audio in Reason as it is so simple and straightforward to do so. Plus, yeah, it would be fun to load a random video and create a soundtrack for it. I'm not doing this for money, just for fun (like the majority of Reason users?), so I'm not competing with AI. :thumbup:
Yep ^^ ... Billions of cell phone video users, I bet there is a gaggle of them awaiting (even though they might not know it yet) for a simple, fun way to use Score to Video in Reason 14 :-)

Loque

Post 29 Jun 2024

SauceMerchant wrote:
29 Jun 2024
Noises wrote:
28 Jun 2024

Yep ^^ ... Billions of cell phone video users, I bet there is a gaggle of them awaiting (even though they might not know it yet) for a simple, fun way to use Score to Video in Reason 14 :-)
Simple and quick...as an app on the mobile phone...a app generates music to their videos
Reason13, Win10

SauceMerchant

Post 29 Jun 2024

Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2024
SauceMerchant wrote:
29 Jun 2024

Simple and quick...as an app on the mobile phone...a app generates music to their videos
Many Tiktokers and the like will go that route, odds are that still leaves lots interested in getting more creative.

madmacman

Post 29 Jun 2024

SauceMerchant wrote:
29 Jun 2024
Many Tiktokers and the like will go that route, odds are that still leaves lots interested in getting more creative.
I don't think so. That ship has sailed. If you want to be creative, there are plenty of competitors out there who already provide Video support in their DAW. If you are on a Mac, you get it for free with all Macs (Garageband). And the next big thing will be KI generated music - especially if you just want to add a few beats to a 30 seconds clip, and not intend to write the next no.1 chart hit.

joeyluck

Post 29 Jun 2024

I reference GarageBand all the time, not necessarily to recommend it, but just to compare. People consider it a beginner app...and it has score edit, video support, and MPE support.

So is GarageBand either not a beginner app or are these just basic features for people who are looking to write music? And of course Apple also has Logic, so they could totally have just removed these features from GarageBand and told people to upgrade to Logic for them. But no, those features are there in GarageBand because for many people looking to write music, even those starting out, they are necessary.

Mattvank

Post 29 Jun 2024

Try the Demo for the first time. The new Devices are well made. The new sequencer takes some getting used to but i could imagine that he now offers a new possibilties of improvements.

It seems to be a lot of work to rebuild it. Dispute and trinking was surely a Device thru the whole process in the working spaces :)

SauceMerchant

Post 29 Jun 2024

madmacman wrote:
29 Jun 2024
SauceMerchant wrote:
29 Jun 2024
I don't think so. That ship has sailed. If you want to be creative, there are plenty of competitors out there who already provide Video support in their DAW. If you are on a Mac, you get it for free with all Macs (Garageband). And the next big thing will be KI generated music - especially if you just want to add a few beats to a 30 seconds clip, and not intend to write the next no.1 chart hit.
I am most creative with Reason and suggest that some others here may also be. Switching to Mac just aint gonna happen after years invested in PC/Reason/Cubase.. We will have to agree to disagree about current potential market opportunities.

If there is any intention to really keep Reason viable as a stand alone DAW, and not have it just be a plugin, IMHO it's time for Reason to offer even a rudimentary Score to Video :-)

SauceMerchant

Post 29 Jun 2024

Mattvank wrote:
29 Jun 2024

Nice work Matt! :thumbs_up:

Mattvank

Post 30 Jun 2024

Thx:)
All Reason and Reason RP. (Except Prologue and Audio Damage EOS 2) But i could imagine that Polytone can replace Prologue very well.

gullum

Post 01 Jul 2024

well was planing to wait til after my vacation, but 3 days in my stay in the Philippines and I have upgraded now need to get a cheap midi keyboard

slic

Post 01 Jul 2024

Not upgrading- rack user, nothing much for me.

mimidancer

Post 01 Jul 2024

Mattvank wrote:
30 Jun 2024
Thx:)
All Reason and Reason RP. (Except Prologue and Audio Damage EOS 2) But i could imagine that Polytone can replace Prologue very well.
I have already made like 50 patches on the Polytone. It sounds great and is so easy to understand. I love the morph/ mix feature so easy to bring sounds to life. It is cool to hear the timber shift without removing frequencies with the filter. Though its variable filter is sweet. It is also easy on the CPU. It is a well-thought-out instrument. Love it.

Theo.M

Post 02 Jul 2024

I chose no, as it's absolutely not for me, IF I owned a perpetual license. There's no way I'd pay to "upgrade" it to R13. But I think with the sub model I am on it is a bit of a different scenario as you can try it and use the older version if you like, with no change in the regular monthly cost.
I do think the "no" vote is accurate for me even though I use the sub.
I stopped at R8 then came back at R12, and I originally used Reason from R4. For me personally, and I can only speak from my own experience, R13 is the first time that I actually dislike the new version. I just keep hoping they start adding options back in for things currently irrecoverably altered for the worse, and if they do that, I will continue to do a perpetual sub. If not, I know for a fact that I will completely abandon the idea of using Reason as a DAW, but since the plugin operation is not altered too much, I'd still look for a cheap perpetual to use in Nuendo and Pro Tools as an insert. The rack is still fine when used in other DAWs and the sound browser for that one scenario works ok, the issues for me are when using Reason as a standalone DAW, and I am saying an emphatic no unless they fix it. Zero chance for me now to invest in it as a long term DAW if this is the path it continues on. What a shame for me, as after coming back to it, so excitedly too, after so many years away, and loving V12, this really hurts. It's a painful disappointment for me, as I had such plans for my future with Reason.

Edit, one of the main reasons is that I can not part with Selig leveller, so I could never abandon Reason as a plugin, or the chord and bass players and drum sequencing which is just so easy in Reason, not to mention Dr Rex. The other synths and plugins are all replaceable to me, but the ones I have mentioned are simply not.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra/64Gb/Apollo T-Bolt 3/OS 14.5.0/PT 2024/Nuendo 13
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/Win 11 Pro/S1 V6/Bitwig 5/Low DPC latency tuned

Loque

Post 02 Jul 2024

SauceMerchant wrote:
29 Jun 2024
Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2024

Reason13, Win10

tiker01

Post 02 Jul 2024

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jun 2024
I reference GarageBand all the time, not necessarily to recommend it, but just to compare. People consider it a beginner app...and it has score edit, video support, and MPE support.

So is GarageBand either not a beginner app or are these just basic features for people who are looking to write music? And of course Apple also has Logic, so they could totally have just removed these features from GarageBand and told people to upgrade to Logic for them. But no, those features are there in GarageBand because for many people looking to write music, even those starting out, they are necessary.
I guess those exist in Logic i.e. the development cost spreads across the two products. So I think the situation is different.

Still I would be interested to be able to use some MPE controller in Reason and at least have some Video VST supported as much as possible.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

SauceMerchant

Post 03 Jul 2024

Loque wrote:
02 Jul 2024
SauceMerchant wrote:
29 Jun 2024

"AI music subscription services I see today are unimpressive and quite sterile. Very predictable song structure and is only as good as what the AI is being fed. The opportunity I see is for original content, whether that be from skilled Reason users or others.

Will AI subscription services work for the vast majority of TikTokers, probably. Will original content creators still have a market? I suspect so.

e.g. "When we say royalty-free, we mean it. At SOUNDRAW, real producers create original beats in-house to train our Al model. We never train our Al with other artists' music or sounds. This ensures everything on the platform is born from our original content, not borrowed. So, when the question of copyright comes up, you never have to worry. Made for soundraw"

avasopht
Competition Winner

Post 04 Jul 2024

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jun 2024

The features Apple leave in cut-down versions is no indication of what is a "basic feature".

Nothing can be truly inferred from the feature set of GarageBand or iMovie.

There are many features iMovie had that Final Cut Pro did not that made it a powerful tool before they gutted those features and created a more "beginner-friendly" version.

There are still a few things iMovie does that Premiere Pro does not do so well (tbh, I have Premiere Pro but haven't used it for a hot decade, so they might have those features now).

GRIFTY

Post 08 Jul 2024

Nah

• Information