Are you upgrading to Reason 13?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you upgrading to R13?

Yes
27%
No
52%
Unsure
22%

Total votes: 277
SauceMerchant

Post 22 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2024

Very few of us ever actually score to picture, even fewer will be asked since folks will just use AI for soundtrack music in the future!
I’ve done it only a few times in my life for hire, even though I have pursued it loosely my entire life. In fact, I just did music for a friends indy film where they did not want it synced, they just wanted specific music requests or stuff similar to the temp score, and they placed it where they wanted it. So I scored an entire indy film without needing true sync to picture once, didn’t need it, wouldn’t have used it if it existed.

OTOH, I’ve made plenty of videos for my existing music (aka “music videos”) which are the opposite and do not require sync to picture (the picture is synced to the music, something ever video editor has done since day one).
As most major DAWS now include Score to Video there is obviously some kind of a user base. The exact numbers and or future demands may be open for debate. I hope Reason follows suit.

Personally I experience something that transcends creative music making as soon as visuals are introduced. Creating musical moods and story line emotions seem to flow more readily when scoring to video. While I'm certainly not an accomplished pianist by any stretch, happy accidents often appear and transcends technique and theory as something intuitive takes over. Perhaps a simple benefit of being a visual learner.

Reason - - bring on the Score to Video please ;-)

joeyluck

Post 22 Jun 2024

I agree. Many people getting into music production are inspired to score to picture. There is a big difference between scoring something and providing music as a soundtrack.

Pepin

Post 22 Jun 2024

There are use cases for video support beyond scoring. Game audio is an example (think sound effects synced to animations).
Big studios wouldn't use Reason standalone for this, but it could still be useful earlier in the process or for more indie types.

SauceMerchant

Post 22 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
22 Jun 2024
There are use cases for video support beyond scoring. Game audio is an example (think sound effects synced to animations). Big studios wouldn't use Reason standalone for this, but it could still be useful earlier in the process or for more indie types.
Yes indeed Pepin, lots of potential creative outlets.
joeyluck wrote:
22 Jun 2024
I agree. Many people getting into music production are inspired to score to picture. There is a big difference between scoring something and providing music as a soundtrack.
Cheers Joey!

selig
RE Developer

Post 22 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
22 Jun 2024
I’m fine with video support for all those film composers (about to be replaced by AI), just as soon as all the other missing features are in place… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

SauceMerchant

Post 22 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2024

I’m fine with video support for all those film composers (about to be replaced by AI), just as soon as all the other missing features are in place… ;)
'We are the Borg - you will be assimilated' ! :geek: :-D

joeyluck

Post 22 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2024
joeyluck wrote:
22 Jun 2024
Sorry if I missed the joke. Haven't been following the AI talk on here.

kitekrazy

Post 23 Jun 2024

Reminiscence wrote:
21 Jun 2024
I'm going back to version 4 instead. That's before things really changed. I can still use Rewire right? :P
Part of me desires that. I could probably do more with less.

SebAudio

Post 23 Jun 2024

I’m not upgrading, I’ll wait some future updates. I hope the new windows design will allow independent zoom levels for the rack and sequencer. The new edit window split could be adapted to a future « session / launch » clip feature à la Live.

NMHindman

Post 24 Jun 2024

For my own workflow (vs. the $199 cost to upgrade), I won't be upgrading soon. However I'm guessing they'll be adding more productivity features as the months go by, which might eventually tempt me to upgrade (and the inevitable sale price). They did so much with Reason 12 in the months after releasing it, and they'll likely do the same in the 13 cycle. Thirteen has been a long time coming, longer than past cycles, and my sense is that alas they needed a release (for financial reasons, as well as for the sake of their users), and would keep working on additional features to add later in the cycle.

selig
RE Developer

Post 24 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
22 Jun 2024
selig wrote:
22 Jun 2024

Me neither. But I HAVE been following other professionals who are indeed concerned and see the writing on the wall.

For example, imagine being a director and instead of using crude search terms in a limited online music library to find the perfect cue, you simply type in a text description of what you want (which you are already used to doing), and additionally you can mention hit points and emotions/dynamics tied to timecode. I'm not a filmmaker, but this sounds like a dream come true: bespoke compositions with infinite variations and changes possible at no additional cost or time. And no composer to have to deal with (and pay)!

Imagine saying: I need an emotional introduction under the dialog from 12:31.15 to 12:42.10 and then a swell up to a faster tempo of inspiring and uplifting rhythmic percussion building up to a climax hitting at 13:32.29. Click Enter, hear results in sync with picture. Done.
Contrast: email the composer with the same description, wait a few days and probably get back something that doesn't quite fit the brief - repeat.

Lets not underestimate the cost and time savings here, it's not always about hiring the best of the best for every film project…
Sure, Hans Zimmer etc. has nothing to worry about. But there is an entire community which is a bit concerned at the moment - maybe you just don't know any of the folks who have a regular gig writing library music, but they are probably the first to feel the hit that is already in sight.
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

Post 24 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2024
joeyluck wrote:
22 Jun 2024

Me neither. But I HAVE been following other professionals who are indeed concerned and see the writing on the wall.

For example, imagine being a director and instead of using crude search terms in a limited online music library to find the perfect cue, you simply type in a text description of what you want (which you are already used to doing), and additionally you can mention hit points and emotions/dynamics tied to timecode. I'm not a filmmaker, but this sounds like a dream come true: bespoke compositions with infinite variations and changes possible at no additional cost or time. And no composer to have to deal with (and pay)!

Imagine saying: I need an emotional introduction under the dialog from 12:31.15 to 12:42.10 and then a swell up to a faster tempo of inspiring and uplifting rhythmic percussion building up to a climax hitting at 13:32.29. Click Enter, hear results in sync with picture. Done.
Contrast: email the composer with the same description, wait a few days and probably get back something that doesn't quite fit the brief - repeat.

Lets not underestimate the cost and time savings here, it's not always about hiring the best of the best for every film project…
Sure, Hans Zimmer etc. has nothing to worry about. But there is an entire community which is a bit concerned at the moment - maybe you just don't know any of the folks who have a regular gig writing library music, but they are probably the first to feel the hit that is already in sight.
This is ridiculous. Film scoring is so much more complex. If it is in danger, all music is. What is the point?

Pepin

Post 24 Jun 2024

AI will be generating entire films from scratch, tailored to each viewer. Concern over any specific job being eliminated is a bit of a deck chairs on the titanic situation. It’s a major shift for society in all areas.

PhillipOrdonez

Post 24 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
24 Jun 2024
AI will be generating entire films from scratch, tailored to each viewer. Concern over any specific job being eliminated is a bit of a deck chairs on the titanic situation. It’s a major shift for society in all areas.
Yeah but who is going to want to watch those? Nobody. Unless they are a specific kind of film. But nothing outside of that very specific realm. Ahem.

selig
RE Developer

Post 24 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jun 2024
selig wrote:
24 Jun 2024

This is ridiculous. Film scoring is so much more complex. If it is in danger, all music is. What is the point?
Dude, Feature film scoring is a very small market compared to music library usage. Talk to guys like Josh Mobley who do this for a living. He's never scored a major film to my knowledge, yet makes his living from music for picture work for EMI (I THINK, don't quote me on that).
We're are talking about very different things, to be clear. Like I said, the big names are in no danger, that type of "music" is "safe". For now…
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

Post 24 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2024
We're are talking about very different things, to be clear.
Yes, that's exactly my point. There is a big difference between scoring and soundtrack music / music submitted to a catalog. The whole point of this was about syncing to picture and why those of us who do scoring would need video support.

Crumbfort

Post 24 Jun 2024

I'm not even gonna touch on the whole AI and music debate thing. My full time job is composing music for games/film/tv/etc (I don't make library music), and library music is a completely separate category of music creation that caters to a completely separate sector of visual media. But, anyways...

Back to the topic at hand, I am not upgrading to Reason 13. There's nothing in it I need, but I certainly hope people enjoy the workflow changes. Add more ins+outs/multiple rack columns to the RRP and you'll definitely have my attention!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Reminiscence

Post 24 Jun 2024

Yeah back to the topic at hand. Tropic Thunder 2 at $199

chimp_spanner

Post 24 Jun 2024

My hope for AI is that people will get fatigued with entirely generated output (even as an early adopter and admirer of the tech, I cannot stand to see anymore Midjourney album art) and it'll find its place as a compositional aid. Not a replacement. I mean I swing wildly between doom and optimism but I do get excited when I think about the possibilities. Like training your DAW on everything you've ever written, and having your own generative model that can co-write with you in YOUR style. Or being able to use natural language to describe what you want; give me a shuffled shaker top loop, an exciting 4 bar EDM riser, make me a punchy House drum kit, adapt this chord progression to a guitar voicing with strumming, etc.

In that kind of scenario, I look at it like Splice. Anyone can buy a Splice subscription and drag loops in. It'll still sound like dog turd if you don't at least know how to arrange it, or what works with what. It still requires a discerning musical ear to audition and curate the results and make something musical out of it, and develop it beyond the 4 bar loop. I hope that's the way it goes.

SauceMerchant

Post 24 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2024
joeyluck wrote:
24 Jun 2024

Dude, Feature film scoring is a very small market compared to music library usage. Talk to guys like Josh Mobley who do this for a living. He's never scored a major film to my knowledge, yet makes his living from music for picture work for EMI (I THINK, don't quote me on that).
We're are talking about very different things, to be clear. Like I said, the big names are in no danger, that type of "music" is "safe". For now…

2 things we can all agree on: 1) Life in any form on this earth is impermanent, and 2) change is a certainty :-)

As machines grow more "intelligent and capable", the people jobs we see today will logically morph into something quite different, or, it could all go to heII in a handbasket ... lol ...

Heater

Post 24 Jun 2024

MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2024
I'll wait until it's €79.99 on JRRShop. Happened before, it'll happen again.
Seems like a plan.

Neo

Post 25 Jun 2024

deigm wrote:
21 Jun 2024
Come to think of it, a roadmap right about now would be super appreciated.
Agreed
Heater wrote:
24 Jun 2024
MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2024
I'll wait until it's €79.99 on JRRShop. Happened before, it'll happen again.
Seems like a plan.
:thumbs_up:
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Jagwah

Post 27 Jun 2024

Yes I upgraded I absolutely love the new sequencer :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

Post 27 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jun 2024
selig wrote:
24 Jun 2024
We're are talking about very different things, to be clear.
Yes, that's exactly my point. There is a big difference between scoring and soundtrack music / music submitted to a catalog. The whole point of this was about syncing to picture and why those of us who do scoring would need video support.
I don’t disagree - those who do scoring need video support. Not simple “load a video and play along” but full professional support including SMPTE and other advanced features to match those DAWs which have been doing it for decades now.
Do you REALLY think RS can deliver this feature at the level professionals need?

But maybe I’ve misunderstood what you’re suggesting? Are you asking for a dirt simple imbedded video player with no controls other than the ability to load a video and play it back in the timeline? Or something more advanced with additional features at the level of other DAWs? I’m guessing this may be where any confusion between us is coming from…
Selig Audio, LLC

SauceMerchant

Post 27 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
27 Jun 2024

I don’t disagree - those who do scoring need video support. Not simple “load a video and play along” but full professional support including SMPTE and other advanced features to match those DAWs which have been doing it for decades now.
Do you REALLY think RS can deliver this feature at the level professionals need?

But maybe I’ve misunderstood what you’re suggesting? Are you asking for a dirt simple imbedded video player with no controls other than the ability to load a video and play it back in the timeline? Or something more advanced with additional features at the level of other DAWs? I’m guessing this may be where any confusion between us is coming from…
Coming back to my original post where I suggested there may be a growing audience for 'score to video' capacity in Reason.

With Billions of Cell phone video/recorders in the world and growing, I would bet that there are more than a few who would love to dabble with putting their own score to their own videos, no matter how cheesy their inital outcomes. The capacity for Reason to even import and play video, or better, create cuts, hold things in sync and then render out MPG, just might open a door for a new gaggle of users. Alternately, those with a more professional focus could also benefit by using Reason video as a scratch pad prior to introducing projects into a more robust studio setting.

Just sayin :-)
Last edited by SauceMerchant on 27 Jun 2024, edited 2 times in total.

• Information