Are you upgrading to Reason 13?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you upgrading to R13?

Yes
27%
No
52%
Unsure
22%

Total votes: 277
Re8et
Competition Winner

Post 20 Jun 2024

SauceMerchant wrote:
20 Jun 2024
"In Reason 13 we’ve updated our sound bank library with all new patches, samples, REX loops, demo songs and song starter templates. Sometimes your own sound starts with one of our sounds."

Anyone have a hard number/guestimate or list of the new Reason patches/samples/loops/sounds now included in stand alone version?

i.e. is it a very noticable sheet load of nice new patches, or ..........?
A Ton of new Presets? :thumbup:

stratatonic

Post 20 Jun 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2024
_andreypetr_ wrote:
20 Jun 2024
Can someone share how browser looks in RRP? I tried to find it but even on stream seems to be no clue to what it looks and functions like. I've only know that it became worse
It became much better, imo, and looks and works exactly the same as on standalone.
I've been trying to get a sense of how this browser looks like and functions within an RRP window, but I still haven't seen anything yet online either. (I don't think it would function exactly the same as on standalone)...

PhillipOrdonez

Post 20 Jun 2024

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2024

It became much better, imo, and looks and works exactly the same as on standalone.
I've been trying to get a sense of how this browser looks like and functions within an RRP window, but I still haven't seen anything yet online either. (I don't think it would function exactly the same as on standalone)...
It does function pretty much the same as on standalone except for the fact that instead of being able to open the browsers with the key commands, you got buttons at the top. The patch browser comes up on top of the rack and you preview patches and when you drag something it disappears till you drop whatever you dragged and comes back up again till you decide to close it.

stratatonic

Post 20 Jun 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2024
stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2024

It does function pretty much the same as on standalone except for the fact that instead of being able to open the browsers with the key commands, you got buttons at the top. The patch browser comes up on top of the rack and you preview patches and when you drag something it disappears till you drop whatever you dragged and comes back up again till you decide to close it.
So the new browser completely covers over everything within the plugin window?

PhillipOrdonez

Post 20 Jun 2024

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2024

Not everything. And if you expand the window horizontally there's more room.

Understand that that's only for loading patches or samples, and it disappears as soon as you drag anything so you tell where to drop whatever you're dragging so the fact it covers part of the rack means nothing cause you want it to be there to find your sound, it goes away once you've found it and then you can continue whatever rack shenanigans you were up to without issues 👍

mimidancer

Post 20 Jun 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2024
stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2024

Understand that that's only for loading patches or samples, and it disappears as soon as you drag anything so you tell where to drop whatever you're dragging so the fact it covers part of the rack means nothing cause you want it to be there to find your sound, it goes away once you've found it and then you can continue whatever rack shenanigans you were up to without issues 👍
I was not excited about the browser when I heard about it but after using it I really like it.

PhillipOrdonez

Post 20 Jun 2024

mimidancer wrote:
20 Jun 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2024

I was not excited about the browser when I heard about it but after using it I really like it.
Same here! I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. And they made the device browser way better for me too! 😁 Big W from RS in my opinion.

Pepin

Post 20 Jun 2024

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jun 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jun 2024

It covers a lot, but not everything. If you expand the device palette, there's a bit more space. And the VST3 version of the rack plugin can be resized vertically at least in some hosts.

BeReasonable

Post 20 Jun 2024

ltbrunt00 wrote:
20 Jun 2024
I just noticed I can open all VST instruments simultaneously without having to check any boxes or enabling any secondary function, I used R13 in the beta and loved it and didn't notice this.

I am calling it, this is the best version of Reason.

When I first started using it I was annoyed that my old work flows got blow away but at the end of the first week I realized everything is now 10 times better and easier to get access to.

Now we just need to get that score to video baked into Reason.
Ah yes, score to video. Something people have been asking for for over a decade. I'm sure they'll get around to it by about 2053.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

Post 21 Jun 2024

I chose no as my answer. I'm not completely sure but it's way more likely a no than any 50/50 kind of thing.
For me personally, I'm more likely to upgrade when I feel that excitement at the time an upgrade or a product is first released. Once that first 1-2 month period has passed the hype and the need to feed that initial GAS diminishes greatly.
And because of the whole favorite lists removal issue I was initially reluctant to the upgrade. Once they've done anything to sort that issue out it's very likely enough time has passed that I've stopped caring about upgrading. There will also be a period where they squash new bugs, which wasn't as prevalent in the past. That will also contribute to reduce my feeling of urgency to upgrade since they'll need time to sort those out.

I think the overall upgrade itself looks alright, even if everything in it might not fit me personally. Polytone, Ripley and the Stereo tool I could see myself using quite a bit if I ever were to upgrade.
But I've also come to the conclusion that I'm not really open to alter my current workflow, at least not right now. I've seen videos on the new workflow changes and I'm just not feeling it. There's nothing about it that pulls me in. I would rather just grab all the new devices for 80-120 bucks and have my Reason experience be as usual.

Rising Night Wave

Post 21 Jun 2024

oy folks.

my vote was 1) yes.
but the joke was... i was inattentive and superficial when i read the title. :oops:
title says "upgrade" what relates to perpetual licence.

and since i am on R+... this is irrelevant.

i will be on R+.

the other joke/thing is... atm i can not affort to upgrade from my Rv10. it is a bit too expensive for me right now. i have other plans.
but when the opportunity will come... i will grab it. :cool:

so... i can not unvote. d**n! i am all unavoted right now. :lol:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

deigm

Post 21 Jun 2024

I wonder if anyone knows if this focus on workflow will continue to be a theme for the rest of the R13 cycle? Can we expect point updates to also be workflow oriented? I think knowing that would encourage me to update.

Yonatan

Post 21 Jun 2024

An honest curious question. Seen many people complain about their favourite lists being removed. Can someone explain because I can see my favourite tags is still in the Browser when open it, just a click away.
I can see that RS could try implement some sort of duplicate favourite lists option in the "Devices" section as well if that is what the sadness is all about? I see no problem with having it in two places for convenience. But for me personally, I got all my favs in the Browser that I will likely open quite a lot anyways in my workflow. And shortcut list also and one can add new ones as wishes. I cant seem to understand the complaint. What am I missing? I know when in the side section in R12, one could see the pics of RE and VSTs that was there, and now in Browser, one see a list only.

Yonatan

Post 21 Jun 2024

Yonatan wrote:
21 Jun 2024
An honest curious question. Seen many people complain about their favourite lists being removed. Can someone explain because I can see my favourite tags is still in the Browser when open it, just a click away.
I can see that RS could try implement some sort of duplicate favourite lists option in the "Devices" section as well if that is what the sadness is all about? I see no problem with having it in two places for convenience. But for me personally, I got all my favs in the Browser that I will likely open quite a lot anyways in my workflow. And shortcut list also and one can add new ones as wishes. I cant seem to understand the complaint. What am I missing? I know when in the side section in R12, one could see the pics of RE and VSTs that was there, and now in Browser, one see a list only.
Oh, an update.

NOW I SEE THE DILEMMA.

The Fav lists only include the Refills and patches and samples when in the Browser, none of the REs and the VSTs that I had added for overview, is there anymore. Yeah, I understand the complaint. It is valid. It did make a sense to be able to group all sort of things in a Favourite category, for certain projects, or just different purposes. Yes, I wish there were some adjustments to this setup. Using tags like compressor or reverb everytime is bulky. I see that one indeed can add the patches to any of ones favourite lists, so I see no real life or workflow problem for me, but I can see that one might be annoyed that REs and VSTs in itself have been removed, but for me personally, that is a price I surely can pay. It is not the end, but also I am not a pro user yet so I have no real attachment to specific old workflow or those lists anyway.

PhillipOrdonez

Post 21 Jun 2024

deigm wrote:
21 Jun 2024
I wonder if anyone knows if this focus on workflow will continue to be a theme for the rest of the R13 cycle? Can we expect point updates to also be workflow oriented? I think knowing that would encourage me to update.
I have wondered the same. I'm hoping they will continue to focus on workflow on this cycle and beyond. It's what most of us have been asking for and they've finally listened, and i hope they do lots more about this.

That's one of the reasons for me to upgrade, in addition to the stuff they did do in terms of workflow; voicing support for this kind of focus on workflow and the implicit expectation they will continue to work on this and bring about the stuff we've all been asking for like track folders, midi chase, and a bunch other features with varying names, to name a few.

selig
RE Developer

Post 21 Jun 2024

BeReasonable wrote:
20 Jun 2024
Ah yes, score to video. Something people have been asking for for over a decade. I'm sure they'll get around to it by about 2053.
Maybe by then I’ll actually need it myself (I’ll be 92 years old, so maybe not!). For now I hope they focus on more essential missing features.
Selig Audio, LLC

deigm

Post 21 Jun 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 Jun 2024
deigm wrote:
21 Jun 2024
I have wondered the same. I'm hoping they will continue to focus on workflow on this cycle and beyond. It's what most of us have been asking for and they've finally listened, and i hope they do lots more about this.

That's one of the reasons for me to upgrade, in addition to the stuff they did do in terms of workflow; voicing support for this kind of focus on workflow and the implicit expectation they will continue to work on this and bring about the stuff we've all been asking for like track folders, midi chase, and a bunch other features with varying names, to name a few.
Agreed 100 percent. I kind of want to buy it just to 'vote with my wallet' that workflow is exactly what we want. I really like all the changes they've made and if this is a sign of things to come then it's a no brainer.

But... If this is their big 'we finally listened' workflow update and all the big-ticket workflow requests go unaddressed...

Basically my feeling is it's too early to tell. I want to see what happens next.

deigm

Post 21 Jun 2024

Come to think of it, a roadmap right about now would be super appreciated. It's a such shame the community punished them for it last time around. I doubt we'll ever see one again.

SauceMerchant

Post 21 Jun 2024

Yes - upgrading to Cubase 13
Maybe later - upgrading to Reason 13

Cubase is deep and some of it is overkill for me, but I do need the flexible Score to Video it offers and am lusting after the updated Chord Track in Cubase 13 (which makes Reason's Chord Sequencer Player look like a slightly sick puppy).

Is *Score to Video* upgrade in Reason the next Killer add on?

SO MANY Youtubers monetizing their channels these days. You can see how more and more have come a long way imroving their video editing skills. I know many folks that started off using basic video editors, and now have evolved to higher end tools such as DaVinci Resolve.

Users want a stable, flexible (not just beholden to Mac world) easy to use version of Score to Video. This could be a BIG HIT for Reason Inc., in light of the evolving Youtuber composer wanna-be's, that may not even know how badly they want it yet!

If you look at the evolution of Youtubers and how they are increasingly getting more proficient with more upscale Video editing, giving them a fun way to add custom music to their channels might just be a natural evolution and a potential new customer base for REASON Studios.

:idea: :exclamation:

Reminiscence

Post 21 Jun 2024

I'm going back to version 4 instead. That's before things really changed. I can still use Rewire right? :P

Iapetus 9

Post 22 Jun 2024

I'll upgrade later once the bugs have been squashed, but I'm coming from Reason 10 and I'll be getting a lot more bang for the 200 bucks. Still wondering how I'm gonna tag the hella gigs worth of Refills I've collected since Reason 2.5.
38L > 51D every time.

Loque

Post 22 Jun 2024

Iapetus 9 wrote:
22 Jun 2024
I'll upgrade later once the bugs have been squashed, but I'm coming from Reason 10 and I'll be getting a lot more bang for the 200 bucks. Still wondering how I'm gonna tag the hella gigs worth of Refills I've collected since Reason 2.5.
Which bugs?
Reason13, Win10

platzangst

Post 22 Jun 2024

Loque wrote:
22 Jun 2024
Iapetus 9 wrote:
22 Jun 2024
Which bugs?
I recall (without going back to check) that someone was saying in the R13 release thread that installing R13 caused his installation of R12 to stop working, and there was a reply to the effect that it would be corrected in a future update. This is actually somewhat important to me, as I have an older Reason installation I use if I want to access old projects with the Line 6 amps. It would be a hassle to have to uninstall and reinstall Reason versions to work on those things. So at the very least, I won't be upgrading until I hear that particular problem is taken care of. If there are other bugs, I don't know what they are.

As for the rest, I'll echo a common theme I've been seeing, being that the new devices and workflow aren't crucial enough for me to need to upgrade right now - at this price. I've upgraded to each version since I started with Reason, and will likely do so again, but there's no urgency to it, for me at least.

Neo

Post 22 Jun 2024

platzangst wrote:
22 Jun 2024
Loque wrote:
22 Jun 2024

Which bugs?
I recall (without going back to check) that someone was saying in the R13 release thread that installing R13 caused his installation of R12 to stop working, and there was a reply to the effect that it would be corrected in a future update. This is actually somewhat important to me, as I have an older Reason installation I use if I want to access old projects with the Line 6 amps. It would be a hassle to have to uninstall and reinstall Reason versions to work on those things. So at the very least, I won't be upgrading until I hear that particular problem is taken care of. If there are other bugs, I don't know what they are.

As for the rest, I'll echo a common theme I've been seeing, being that the new devices and workflow aren't crucial enough for me to need to upgrade right now - at this price. I've upgraded to each version since I started with Reason, and will likely do so again, but there's no urgency to it, for me at least.
R12 should run fine after uninstalling R13. However, you might find broken missing/icons* which has happened to me before.
Great excuse to re-install and organize your favorite lists.. (coming to a future R13 build im sure)
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

selig
RE Developer

Post 22 Jun 2024

SauceMerchant wrote:
21 Jun 2024
Yes - upgrading to Cubase 13
Maybe later - upgrading to Reason 13

Cubase is deep and some of it is overkill for me, but I do need the flexible Score to Video it offers and am lusting after the updated Chord Track in Cubase 13 (which makes Reason's Chord Sequencer Player look like a slightly sick puppy).

Is *Score to Video* upgrade in Reason the next Killer add on?

SO MANY Youtubers monetizing their channels these days. You can see how more and more have come a long way imroving their video editing skills. I know many folks that started off using basic video editors, and now have evolved to higher end tools such as DaVinci Resolve.

Users want a stable, flexible (not just beholden to Mac world) easy to use version of Score to Video. This could be a BIG HIT for Reason Inc., in light of the evolving Youtuber composer wanna-be's, that may not even know how badly they want it yet!

If you look at the evolution of Youtubers and how they are increasingly getting more proficient with more upscale Video editing, giving them a fun way to add custom music to their channels might just be a natural evolution and a potential new customer base for REASON Studios.

:idea: :exclamation:
Very few of us ever actually score to picture, even fewer will be asked since folks will just use AI for soundtrack music in the future!
I’ve done it only a few times in my life for hire, even though I have pursued it loosely my entire life. In fact, I just did music for a friends indy film where they did not want it synced, they just wanted specific music requests or stuff similar to the temp score, and they placed it where they wanted it. So I scored an entire indy film without needing true sync to picture once, didn’t need it, wouldn’t have used it if it existed.

OTOH, I’ve made plenty of videos for my existing music (aka “music videos”) which are the opposite and do not require sync to picture (the picture is synced to the music, something ever video editor has done since day one).
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information