How to use Thor as a saturation effect

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mohammadyarahmad

24 Apr 2024

Hello,
1. I want to use Thor as a saturation effect. How can I do that?
(For example, the instrument is Europa, and I want to saturate the sound with Thor).

2. Can we use Thor as a multi-band saturator? How?

Thanks

selig
RE Developer

25 Apr 2024

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
24 Apr 2024
Hello,
(For example, the instrument is Europa, and I want to saturate the sound with Thor).

Thanks
The basic concept:
With Thor you have one option for saturation, the Shaper module. BUT, there’s a hitch: the saturator in Thor is mono (one channel), so you’ll need two Thors for stereo. You will also need to trigger a voice in Thor in order to hear the effect, another consideration.

To create a muti-band saturator you would add the Stereo Imager as a splitter/crossover, and another pair of Thors for each band you want to add.

If OTOH what you want is use the clipping and soft clipping setting in Thor, you could try the Maximizer instead. Maximizer will also need some gain staging to saturate lower level signals, which means you’ll have to boost level going into the effect and cut a little level on the output to compensate.
Selig Audio, LLC

Mohammadyarahmad

27 Apr 2024

selig wrote:
25 Apr 2024
Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
24 Apr 2024
Hello,

Thanks
The basic concept:
With Thor you have one option for saturation, the Shaper module. BUT, there’s a hitch: the saturator in Thor is mono (one channel), so you’ll need two Thors for stereo. You will also need to trigger a voice in Thor in order to hear the effect, another consideration.

To create a muti-band saturator you would add the Stereo Imager as a splitter/crossover, and another pair of Thors for each band you want to add.

If OTOH what you want is use the clipping and soft clipping setting in Thor, you could try the Maximizer instead. Maximizer will also need some gain staging to saturate lower level signals, which means you’ll have to boost level going into the effect and cut a little level on the output to compensate.
Wow...
Lots of work.
Is there any video about it?

kooshan

01 May 2024

Hi
Supereasy to build.
I'll send you the combinator file.
Just send me a message :)

• Information