I much prefer Reason to Ableton, but I really wish Reason did MIDI loop recording better

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eiresurfer

11 Apr 2024

I have the cheap intro version of Ableton, but I've never really gone beyond the messing about stage with it - it's never really clicked with me, I find it's not as fun as Reason, and a lot of it just feels too much like work. Obviously loads of people love it, and that's fine. However, one thing I really like about it is how it records Midi loops. When you are recording a loop, and you reach the end, it doesn't just let the last midi note play beyond the loop, it records it into the start of the loop. I love this. Also, I actually prefer how it creates a new midi loop each time, so you can record multiple midi parts and pick the best one in the midi clip section. Reason is great, but recording MIDI loops just isn't as good as in Ableton.

DaveyG

11 Apr 2024

Someone will post the crappy workaround for this in Reason. The workaround does work but it's a bit, um, crappy.
They should rework MIDI recording to match the way audio recording works where you get multiple takes and can comp them together.
But they probably won't!

PhillipOrdonez

11 Apr 2024

Even better is how it records anything you play via midi without you ever hitting the record button. 🤯

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Apr 2024
Even better is how it records anything you play via midi without you ever hitting the record button. 🤯
Yeah retrospective record is great for people like me who have no musical training. Just jam away and keep the bits you like for further editing.

stm.mitchell

11 Apr 2024

Popey wrote:
11 Apr 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Apr 2024
Yeah retrospective record is great for people like me who have no musical training. Just jam away and keep the bits you like for further editing.
https://monkeyc.audio/pages/rewind does retrospective recording of audio and midi. Runs as a plugin, or standalone. I just keep it on the master channel in Reason.

crimsonwarlock

11 Apr 2024

stm.mitchell wrote:
11 Apr 2024
https://monkeyc.audio/pages/rewind does retrospective recording of audio and midi. Runs as a plugin, or standalone. I just keep it on the master channel in Reason.
Wow, that looks really nice. I was just about to buy it, watched a few videos on their website, heard it needs iLock...... aaaand I'm out.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

sycon

11 Apr 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Apr 2024
Wow, that looks really nice. I was just about to buy it, watched a few videos on their website, heard it needs iLock...... aaaand I'm out.
This one doesn't require iLok:
https://www.birdsthings.com/midi-cap

• Information