Feature request - having rack on the right

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
s0ber

17 Mar 2024

Seriously. I've just tried it with a custom vertical split on Mac OS, and found it extremely convenient (see attached screenshot).

Most of the time you don't work with more than a single column in rack, since instruments and effects are stacked vertically. Also, switching between tracks is sooo delightful, the rack just highlights your selection, and it just feels different.

On the opposite, having the split horizontally is not that useful. There is not enough vertical space either for rack or the sequencer. So you always resort to just switching back and forth, and always losing the context.

I know that this will only be useful on a rather big displays, but anyway.

Another small fix would be to improve the way instruments are focused inside the rack, even though it's questionable. Making rack window scroll to a mix channel, not just to a top edge of the instrument may be a good idea. There are a lot of important things there (mix level, panning, insert effects, players, etc.), and they all related to a track.

Thank you, Reason team.
Attachments
Снимок экрана 2024-03-18 в 00.04.15.jpg
Снимок экрана 2024-03-18 в 00.04.15.jpg (463.22 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Last edited by s0ber on 17 Mar 2024, edited 1 time in total.

huggermugger

17 Mar 2024

It really helps to have two monitors. And in my workflow, two Rack columns are mandatory, as I spend most of my time there. The sequencer only needs to show me a few tracks at a time, and the mixer, which I barely touch, can easily be hidden or compressed. So they share the second monitor, horizontally. It's perfect.
Attachments
reason two displays.JPG
reason two displays.JPG (516 KiB) Viewed 244 times

s0ber

17 Mar 2024

huggermugger wrote:
17 Mar 2024
It really helps to have two monitors. And in my workflow, two Rack columns are mandatory, as I spend most of my time there. The sequencer only needs to show me a few tracks at a time, and the mixer, which I barely touch, can easily be hidden or compressed. So they share the second monitor, horizontally. It's perfect.
Unfortunately, two monitors is not my cup of tea. It just doesn't feel right to me. Also, one-column rack does make a difference. It starts resembling other DAWs with their "effect chains". When you have two+ columns in a rack, you kinda feel overwhelmed, as there are so many things there, and it takes time to just visually find the instrument you need. Especially true when there are multiple instances of the same instrument. To put it shortly, rack is always a mess, and I don't want to spend time tidying it up. TBH, I don't want to see this mess at all most of the time.

Somehow it's just very tiring to me. Maybe it's just psychological, but huge rack makes me feel like I'm losing control over project, it starts feeling bloated.

When there is a single column, you just click the track in a sequencer, and related instrument is instantly there for you in a rack, and there is nothing else that can distract you. That's what I've meant when said that it feels different.

In any regard, my custom layout split in Mac OS is absolutely enough to me. Just wanted to share the observations, and maybe somebody will find it useful.

Btw, it's a nice setup you have :thumbs_up:

• Information