EnochLight needs your help: missing loop

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

17 Mar 2024

So I've been messing with stem separation software lately, trying to recover a loop that I lost over 20 years ago when my house was broken into and my studio machine was stolen. Thought I'd try a shot in the dark and see if any of ya'll have this loop in any of your massive sample libraries. :puf_bigsmile: ;) No clue where I got it from, though it might have been an old Syntriliium Cool Edit Pro sample library, or maybe even Sony's Acid. Or just a random loop. Really. No. Clue. It could be a REX file, or it could be just a regular sample (probably WAV as I was on a PC at the time).

It's called Packet Drum2 Loop 90bpm - if anyone has it, I would forever be in your debt. REX, WAV, or otherwise. If you're curious as to what it sounds like, it's the main drum loop in this song here:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

challism

17 Mar 2024

I did a quick search of my refill folder and didn't find anything. I'll do a deeper search if I can find some time.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

nickb523
RE Developer

21 Mar 2024

I'd swear the main underlying loop sounds like nothing more than a pitched down Amen break?

Above that there is a conga/bongo loop with a ton of delay on it. (which may be from the factory REX as it seems familiar)

There is an additional loop enters at 2:05 ish that is either "Trh02_Alkaholic_080_eLAB" or "Chm11_Cheese_115_eLAB" from the Reason factory bank.

Track sounds a bit like Red Snapper.... cool! :)

EnochLight

21 Mar 2024

nickb523 wrote:
21 Mar 2024
I'd swear the main underlying loop sounds like nothing more than a pitched down Amen break?

Above that there is a conga/bongo loop with a ton of delay on it. (which may be from the factory REX as it seems familiar)
Yeah, the main loop definitely sounds familiar, and may have been a mish-mash of other stuff - but it was definitely a single loop that I had sourced from somewhere. No Reason factory stuff was used in the main loop. All I know is the actual sample (or REX) was called "Packet Drum2 Loop 90bpm".
nickb523 wrote:
21 Mar 2024
There is an additional loop enters at 2:05 ish that is either "Trh02_Alkaholic_080_eLAB" or "Chm11_Cheese_115_eLAB" from the Reason factory bank.
Yep! This one loads fine. It's actually "Chm22_Compress_135_eLAB.rx2".
nickb523 wrote:
21 Mar 2024
Track sounds a bit like Red Snapper.... cool! :)
Hahah thanks! Forgot about those guys - old 90's trip hop band, right?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jappe

21 Mar 2024

I asked my buddy, and he was at least aware of your SAR mission:
https://chat.openai.com/share/12041d40- ... edfbe255ff

EnochLight

21 Mar 2024

jappe wrote:
21 Mar 2024
LMAO!!! Nice to know that ChatGPT / OpenAI is scraping our forum for data. Ahhhhh well - it was bound to happen. :lol: On that note, I tried Google's "Gemini" and it was worthless - didn't scrape our forum anyway. Microsoft's Edge "Baird" just posted links to various drum loops that weren't even remotely close. Come on, A.I.!!! How am I supposed to embrace our robot overlords if you can't find a missing sample? :lol:

Theo.M

21 Mar 2024

Wow, stem separation, best of luck! I don't have the answer for the question, but I am really excited by the topic as the very idea of stem separation to maybe salvage and be able to re do some of my favourite songs that I too lost 20 years back but have stereo mixes of.
I hope it's on topic to ask what software you are using for this?

robussc

21 Mar 2024

jappe wrote:
21 Mar 2024
I'm surprised it's that up to date!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

EnochLight

21 Mar 2024

Theo.M wrote:
21 Mar 2024
Wow, stem separation, best of luck! I don't have the answer for the question, but I am really excited by the topic as the very idea of stem separation to maybe salvage and be able to re do some of my favourite songs that I too lost 20 years back but have stereo mixes of.
Right so, as far as stem separation software that I actually own, I only have iZotope RX9 (which calls its stem separation "Music Rebalance"). I had "meh" results with that. It worked for the most part, but a lot of the highs were lost, replaced with that telltale sound of digital artifacts. Still usable, but not as clean as I would like.

On the other hand, for free, there is a good stem separation online service called "Gaudio", and I had *GREAT* results with that. You can use it for free here: https://studio.gaudiolab.io/ - just keep in mind that YMMV depending on the content (I find it works really well with clean mixes, but if the mix is muddy or a classic mix from the 80's, then YMMV). With this one, I was able to get a very usable drum loop that sounded very clean, albeit with some of the low frequencies cut out - but I can always use the version I got from RX9 to restore some of the missing bass frequencies. Needless to say, I'm not looking for the actual sample replacement any longer - not like I used to. I'm going to play with this stem separated version and see if I can make it work. I'll post examples at a later date.

Theo.M

21 Mar 2024

EnochLight wrote:
21 Mar 2024
Theo.M wrote:
21 Mar 2024
Right so, as far as stem separation software that I actually own, I only have iZotope RX9 (which calls its stem separation "Music Rebalance"). I had "meh" results with that. It worked for the most part, but a lot of the highs were lost, replaced with that telltale sound of digital artifacts. Still usable, but not as clean as I would like.

On the other hand, for free, there is a good stem separation online service called "Gaudio", and I had *GREAT* results with that. You can use it for free here: https://studio.gaudiolab.io/ - just keep in mind that YMMV depending on the content (I find it works really well with clean mixes, but if the mix is muddy or a classic mix from the 80's, then YMMV). With this one, I was able to get a very usable drum loop that sounded very clean, albeit with some of the low frequencies cut out - but I can always use the version I got from RX9 to restore some of the missing bass frequencies. Needless to say, I'm not looking for the actual sample replacement any longer - not like I used to. I'm going to play with this stem separated version and see if I can make it work. I'll post examples at a later date.
Many thanks and best of luck with your project!

challism

22 Mar 2024

robussc wrote:
21 Mar 2024
jappe wrote:
21 Mar 2024
I'm surprised it's that up to date!
Must be GPT4.0. Obviously conversations on RT are vital to its success. ;)

Theo.M

25 Mar 2024

You know I was thinking.. I can probably create that loop for you using redrum and get it pretty close. The loop right at the start yes?
I did this just yesterday with a drum loop I liked for my track "another late night" from 1996 I am re making, and in the logic folder song I had deleted the original loop and only have a really terrible quality time stretched one with all the bass end having phasing artefacts. It's on one of my audio (not even wav file) sample CD's from the 90's and heck I don't even have a CD drive of any kind any more, but I do have to get one at some point for the Mac to be able to access my classic samples.
What I did was re create it in Boom in Pro tools and I got very very close. Some FF Pro Q 3 to cut off the low end with a resonant HPF and add some low end as the kick in the loop was huge, the snare was easy to replicate then I just listened carefully for the hi hat pattern and was able to do it.
What do you think? Did you try that?

EnochLight

26 Mar 2024

Theo.M wrote:
25 Mar 2024
I can probably create that loop for you using redrum and get it pretty close. The loop right at the start yes?
Yeah, it's the main drum loop throughout the verses (not the loud droning "chorus" - I have that drum loop - it's called "Chm22_Compress_135_eLAB.rx2"). You're welcome to give it a shot - I could never capture the essence of the sound/mood, unfortunately.

Theo.M

26 Mar 2024

EnochLight wrote:
26 Mar 2024
Theo.M wrote:
25 Mar 2024
I can probably create that loop for you using redrum and get it pretty close. The loop right at the start yes?
Yeah, it's the main drum loop throughout the verses (not the loud droning "chorus" - I have that drum loop - it's called "Chm22_Compress_135_eLAB.rx2"). You're welcome to give it a shot - I could never capture the essence of the sound/mood, unfortunately.
Ok so not the intro loop but the first one when the music starts? Intro one would have been easy with some mod FX, EQ

EnochLight

26 Mar 2024

Theo.M wrote:
26 Mar 2024
Ok so not the intro loop but the first one when the music starts? Intro one would have been easy with some mod FX, EQ
No, I have that loop (it's from the Reason FSB). I mean the main song loop that starts at 5-7 seconds in. Thanks, though! I'm actually having rather good luck with the stems I processed on https://studio.gaudiolab.io/. Going to put some work into this as soon as I can find the time.

Theo.M

26 Mar 2024

EnochLight wrote:
26 Mar 2024
Theo.M wrote:
26 Mar 2024
No, I have that loop (it's from the Reason FSB). I mean the main song loop that starts at 5-7 seconds in. Thanks, though! I'm actually having rather good luck with the stems I processed on https://studio.gaudiolab.io/. Going to put some work into this as soon as I can find the time.
Yeah, gotcha. I think the vibe is some eq filters on that one but since it's so heavily under the music it will be tricky to recreate. Let me know how you go and when I have some spare time this weekend, if you've been unsuccessful with stems, I will give it a bash. I enjoy a challenge from time to time.

Theo.M

26 Mar 2024

There's also quite a bit of wet verb there for sure. I am wondering if they actually used a room verb in 100% wet mode.

jappe

31 Mar 2024

EnochLight wrote:
21 Mar 2024
jappe wrote:
21 Mar 2024
LMAO!!! Nice to know that ChatGPT / OpenAI is scraping our forum for data. Ahhhhh well - it was bound to happen. :lol: On that note, I tried Google's "Gemini" and it was worthless - didn't scrape our forum anyway. Microsoft's Edge "Baird" just posted links to various drum loops that weren't even remotely close. Come on, A.I.!!! How am I supposed to embrace our robot overlords if you can't find a missing sample? :lol:
Very good situational awareness indeed!
When I subscribed to chatGPT, in Dec -22, it was aware of old news only.

challism

01 Apr 2024

jappe wrote:
31 Mar 2024
EnochLight wrote:
21 Mar 2024

Very good situational awareness indeed!
When I subscribed to chatGPT, in Dec -22, it was aware of old news only.
But what about old fake news?

DaveyG

01 Apr 2024

Is anyone else wondering what ChatGPT makes of reading a forum where we're talking about ChatGPT reading that forum? It could get very messy.

I couldn't resist asking:
ChatGPT
If ChatGPT were to scrape a forum where users are discussing its scraping activity, it would essentially be engaging in a recursive loop or a form of self-awareness within the context of data scraping. Here's a hypothetical scenario of what might happen:

Scraping Activity: ChatGPT scrapes the forum for data as per its programmed instructions.

Encountering Discussion about Its Scraping: Within the scraped data, ChatGPT encounters discussions where users are talking about ChatGPT scraping the forum itself.

Processing the Discussion: ChatGPT processes the text data as it normally would, identifying the discussion topic and understanding the content to the best of its abilities.

Response Generation: If the scraping is part of an interaction or a response mechanism, ChatGPT might generate responses based on the content it has processed. This could include acknowledging the discussion, providing relevant information, or even commenting on the nature of the discussion itself.

Recursive Loop Potential: If the responses generated by ChatGPT prompt further discussion about ChatGPT's scraping activity, this could create a recursive loop where each iteration of scraping leads to more discussions about scraping, resulting in an ongoing cycle of data collection and discussion.

Handling Recursion: Depending on how ChatGPT is programmed, it might have mechanisms in place to handle or mitigate such recursive loops. For example, it could have logic to limit the depth of recursion or to prioritize other types of responses over those directly related to scraping discussions.

Ethical Considerations: There are ethical considerations surrounding scraping forums and engaging with user-generated content, especially when it involves discussions about scraping itself. Developers and users should consider the implications of such activities, including privacy concerns, user consent, and the potential impact on the community dynamics of the forum.

In practice, the specific actions taken by ChatGPT in response to scraping a forum discussing its own scraping would depend on its programming, the context of its use, and any relevant ethical guidelines or constraints.

Lizard

10 Apr 2024

EnochLight wrote:
21 Mar 2024
Seeing that you have the Akai MPC Live II, do you also use the Akai MPC 2 software? They recently introduced an expansion to it for $10 that splits tracks into 4 stems. Pretty cheap. Also allows you to chop them MPC style which is great for the MPC work flow. If you don't have you should consider. I have been pretty satisfied with the results thus far.

EnochLight

10 Apr 2024

Lizard wrote:
10 Apr 2024
Seeing that you have the Akai MPC Live II, do you also use the Akai MPC 2 software? They recently introduced an expansion to it for $10 that splits tracks into 4 stems. Pretty cheap. Also allows you to chop them MPC style which is great for the MPC work flow. If you don't have you should consider. I have been pretty satisfied with the results thus far.
Yeah I've got that on my MPC Live II (in Controller Mode). The results I got from it weren't as good as the extracted drums I got from Gaudio, so I'll likely stick with that for now. Once Akai's Stems goes live in Standalone mode, though - I'll likely use it more. I rarely connect in Controller Mode with my MPC. Fun fact: Akai got their Stem algo from zplane (same company that did the algo for Elastique Pro audio warping in the desktop MPC Software).

Lizard

10 Apr 2024

One more add on stems. The technology used on Peter Jackson's "Get Back" documentary as well as the last released Beatles track "Now and Then" is available to the public. You can drop your tracks in and it will separate on multiple levels beyond your typical 4 stems available in most products. I think it is up to 10 or so traditional separations. You pay by minutes of audio though. Not cheap but not crazy either. Apparently it's been out a while but I've only heard of it recently. Maybe you have. If not check these links :

LALAL.AI

https://www.youtube.com/@LALALAI/videos

• Information