Good distortion for TB-303 Bassline

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
TranceTip

12 Mar 2024

This is surely a very subjective topic, but what are good Reason distortion effects to use for a TB-303 Bassline (clone), for example something that sounds close to an MXR M-104 Distortion Plus pedal? I own a Roland TB-03 and a Behringer TD-3-MO whose dry audio signals are routed through Reason.

I've found some audio demos for various distortion pedals (see https://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_best_d ... _pedal.htm) and am wondering if Reason has anything similar to offer.

miyaru

12 Mar 2024

Scream?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

dioxide

12 Mar 2024

They say the classic is the ProCo RAT.
https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseR47

I tried to create a Reason version of this and the closest sounding for me was Pulveriser.

BRIGGS

12 Mar 2024

Spend some time, and try everything you have.

It's best to have a handful of options, because your ears will get tired.
r11s

joeyluck

12 Mar 2024

BRIGGS wrote:
12 Mar 2024
Spend some time, and try everything you have.

It's best to have a handful of options, because your ears will get tired.
I agree. There's so many different distortion effects I use on the 303. When people were creating some of the first acid bass lines, they were using the distortion pedals they had.

If I'm not using the built-in distortion on ABL3, most often I'll use GClp (no longer available as a RE, but still a free VST) or Omega Mastering Clipper. I usually like a simple and clean distortion on 303s and those do the job :thumbup:

I like playing with all of the Kuassa stuff and Efektor Distortion is great. kHs Distortion is another that I use and is free. I also like Blamsoft's t00b Distortion in particular. Devastor, Scream, RPDistort are of course great options too with lots of patches to try. See now I'm just naming most of the distortion options I have :lol:

Choosing a distortion really comes down to the particular 303 riff and what compliments it and the track as a whole. The octave that the 303 line is in might also sound better with certain distortions, so always good to have some options.

joeyluck

12 Mar 2024

Not to get too far off topic, but in terms of creative effects other than distortion, I sometimes like to follow ABL3 with a bit crusher. With high resonance and slides in the 303 line, the bit crushing creates a wah-talking type of effect which can be really cool.

And then Kilohearts Disperser can make a very rubbery 303 line, which is also fun :)

Billy+

12 Mar 2024

Pulveriser_Front-1024x280.jpg
Pulveriser_Front-1024x280.jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 300 times

mimidancer

12 Mar 2024

TranceTip wrote:
12 Mar 2024
This is surely a very subjective topic, but what are good Reason distortion effects to use for a TB-303 Bassline (clone), for example something that sounds close to an MXR M-104 Distortion Plus pedal? I own a Roland TB-03 and a Behringer TD-3-MO whose dry audio signals are routed through Reason.

I've found some audio demos for various distortion pedals (see https://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_best_d ... _pedal.htm) and am wondering if Reason has anything similar to offer.
Listen to the TB at this end of this track. It is Pulverizer dirt only, 2 screams one to tube the other to scream. Love that bandpass filter then echo and the ART tape compression. It is a special kinda nasty.

• Information