Tempo increments of 1 from a mapped knob

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Enywed

09 Mar 2024

I have two Arturia MiniLab keyboards hooked up. MKII and 3. I am trying to control the tempo of Reason 12 as accurately as possible for automation.

Because the tempo value range is 999 and my button/fader ranges are 127, the knob jumps in increments of about 8 rather than 1 so you’d go from say 95bpm to 103bpm with the slightest knob twitch.

I am trying to achieve increments of 1 and also want to limit the tempo range from say 50-170 while I’m at it - much like the functionality of CV in Combinators.

If anyone can get their head around this, huge props coming your way! Google Gemini/Bard/GPT have all lied to me and given me false hope.

———
M2 Mac (Sonoma), Reason 12+, MiniLab 3 x2, StreamDeck.

deeplink
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2024

+ and - button on your keyboards numpad
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Enywed

12 Mar 2024

deeplink wrote:
10 Mar 2024
+ and - button on your keyboards numpad
I'm using a MacBook M2 - no numpad :?

dioxide

12 Mar 2024

Mapping tempo (20-999bpm) to a normal MIDI knob that only has 128 values results in big jumps in values. So roughly a range of 979bpm divided by 128 = 7.65bpm per value.

Tempo is best mapped to an endless rotary controller which will add ±1 to the tempo. The type that clicks when you turn them are best IMO because you feel each BPM increase.

The other thing you can do is to add scaling in the Remote files, although I won't recommend it if you don't like messing around with code. I was able to add a ±8% tempo control to a slider using this method.

• Information