Looks like Reason Studios have redesigned their site...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
xbitz

06 Mar 2024

I wouldn't say they are ugly after all, why just almost :mrgreen:

btw. I like this page https://www.reasonstudios.com/devices better for sure
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

pushedbutton

06 Mar 2024

I felt I should my voice my opinion to represent the silent majority. It's fine, whatever, as long as it does the job. I used to care about what was cool and edgy but now I just like things that work and don't take up too much of my time. As a website it remains functional so whatever.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

scotward57

06 Mar 2024

Ironic timing as I just got through downloading my Ableton Live 12 upgrade. Been wondering what's been going on with RS Inc going AWOL the last few months. All this time on a Swedish winter holiday? Nope...it was all hands on deck updating their website. Sheesh!

I realize that RS Inc surrendered the DAW War thing a long time ago, but wow this whole "we're a VST/AU/AAX plugin, subscription, social media hipster sound pack, doing our own thing" schtick has to be maddening to those sticking it out as Reason being their only DAW.

Of course, no DAW is perfect. I wandered off the Reason path back in 2020 when Logic Pro 10.5 came out. Then when I read about the pending release of Ableton Live 12 and it went on sale and just about every MIDI controller on the planet integrates deeper with Ableton than any other platform, I couldn't help giving that a spin!

Reason still does some things better than anybody. If you want big/phat layered patches, nothing beats the Combinator. The pitch edit mode is second to none. Logic has the perfect step sequencer and many of their stock plugins are the best. Drummer is a great tool! Ableton, so far has tight MIDI controller integration, the session view thing is awesome and now has some very sweet MIDI composition tools!

I would still love to see Reason do something really innovative with Reason itself. It's great work they are doing on Players and there';s nothing out there quite like Friction and Objekt. But come on Swedes!! Time to get serious and offer your fanbase things to get truly excited about!!

xbitz

06 Mar 2024

^^^ sry can't resist AL12 and Swedes in one context was too much for me :D

:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

parma

06 Mar 2024

selig wrote:
06 Mar 2024
parma wrote:
06 Mar 2024
Lol the average age of this forum's users must be like 50. I'm 46 so I can poke fun. We are not the demographic *any* company is targeting. It's no wonder RS barely chimes in on this forum anymore. Everything is a whine-fest
I'm not so sure - this is the age that allows expensive hobbies and many folks in the age range are spending WAY more than the 20-somethings could ever afford to spend on audio gear.
But wait, is the reason they don't chime in because of our collective age or our whine-fest? Or are they the on-in-the-same?!? ;)
All I know is that I've got two kids in high school getting ready to go to college. I have practically zero discretionary funds right now!

parma

06 Mar 2024

I spent a *lot* more on my little music hobby in my 20s than I do now.

wendylou

06 Mar 2024

nadj wrote:
04 Mar 2024
Urgh. Yeah, that's really bad. Looks like it was designed by old people trying to guess what kids are into these days. And that video background is such a nausiating cringey mess. Hope no one got paid actual money to mash this together!
Actually, I recently saw a high school student-produced vid about tennis that had a similar edgy style, so I don't think anyone is guessing what the kids are doing these days.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

hamsterfactor

06 Mar 2024

This is not a bold move; I sense desperation. I hope this restyling of the website does not extend to the product.
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

kitekrazy

06 Mar 2024

parma wrote:
06 Mar 2024
I spent a *lot* more on my little music hobby in my 20s than I do now.
I started at the turn of the century using Voyetra Digital Orchestra. That was when there were fewer forums and less social media. Developers also didn't target the hobbyist as they do now. Some of us spend more time acquiring more to make music and it seems to reverse. When you look at a DAW like Reason that now has 3rd party RE's and VST support it's overwhelming. I think a good producer challenge would be to use Reason with only what was available in Reason 4. I never seem to learn less is more.

benjified

06 Mar 2024

wendylou wrote:
06 Mar 2024
Actually, I recently saw a high school student-produced vid about tennis that had a similar edgy style, so I don't think anyone is guessing what the kids are doing these days.
Must be this one:

Damn freaky deaky kids and their music.

mimidancer

06 Mar 2024

I like the new look of the website. I like the video too. So many here are so negative. I see the refresh as an attempt to grow their base. That is a good thing. Lastly, Reason should not try to be Live. Live already exists. Reason just needs to be Reason. I hope when Reason 13 comes out they include some features I want. But if they do not I will not cry about it as I understand though I may be a loud user, I am only one user. And I understand they need to focus on things that will impact the most users. Cool site Reason peeps. Grow that base.

Neo

06 Mar 2024

selig wrote:
06 Mar 2024
parma wrote:
06 Mar 2024
Lol the average age of this forum's users must be like 50. I'm 46 so I can poke fun. We are not the demographic *any* company is targeting. It's no wonder RS barely chimes in on this forum anymore. Everything is a whine-fest
I'm not so sure - this is the age that allows expensive hobbies and many folks in the age range are spending WAY more than the 20-somethings could ever afford to spend on audio gear.
But wait, is the reason they don't chime in because of our collective age or our whine-fest? Or are they the on-in-the-same?!? ;)
Salute.. 🍷
vino.jpg
vino.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 917 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

jlgrimes

07 Mar 2024

deeplink wrote:
04 Mar 2024
AND IT IS VERY LOUD.

... also three sometimes four different fonts on the same page? Sacrilege.

Personally, I find it a bit jarring and cringe. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Just had a look on mobile, and now the design makes a little more sense. Still, super jarring on a PC.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
I wouldn't say it's bad (looking from the phone).

But I can't say it is much of an improvement or if it's worse than their recent sites.

I was a fan of their early 2000s look but I guess that might be too retro.

jlgrimes

07 Mar 2024

I'm noticing that other DAW maker websites don't look that great as well. So with that said Reason is somewhere in the middle of the pack (but that isn't saying much as DAW website bars must be pretty low)

Cubase looks like I'm trying to buy a sofa. I like Reason's website better.

FL Studio looks like I went to a spam site. I like Reason's website better.

Bitwig and Ableton are pretty decent but not a walk in the park, but I think they meet the minimum requirements of what a website should do and kind of gets out of the way.

Apple logic is pretty presentable but still feels like I am being overloaded with one page of stuff im not too interested in. Maybe if I was interested in Logic though I would like it better but I think it could use more sub pages.

Studio One. Pretty nice but it has pop-ups about cookies which i hate so.

I actually like Reaper the best. It shows the DAW front and center and gets right down to business. Ironic though as I probably use Reaper as a DAW the least.

What I do like about Reason's new website is that they do pretty extensive writeups on each device which as become an important part of Reason but the devices are hidden at the bottom over alot of fluff at the top. I think what I liked about most of Reason's websites in the past was that they linked you to the devices pretty quickly. Also when you click on Reason device, they flip backwards (pretty cool).

I'm saying this while viewing from a phone. Maybe the phone isn't the best place to learn about a DAW.

From memory I like Ableton's look from a desktop. Clean and gets down to business. It doesn't look as good on phone for some reason but it isn't too bad.

FL seems better looking but still kind of overly busy.

Reaper about the same.

Reason's new website is kind of very closeup and psychedelic in its own way. I guess this is cool.

PhillipOrdonez

07 Mar 2024

Site looks great on mobile. Don't know why there's 4 pages of (i presume) complaints about it.

mind2069

07 Mar 2024

scotward57 wrote:
06 Mar 2024
Ironic timing as I just got through downloading my Ableton Live 12 upgrade. Been wondering what's been going on with RS Inc going AWOL the last few months. All this time on a Swedish winter holiday? Nope...it was all hands on deck updating their website. Sheesh!

I realize that RS Inc surrendered the DAW War thing a long time ago, but wow this whole "we're a VST/AU/AAX plugin, subscription, social media hipster sound pack, doing our own thing" schtick has to be maddening to those sticking it out as Reason being their only DAW.

Reason still does some things better than anybody. If you want big/phat layered patches, nothing beats the Combinator. The pitch edit mode is second to none. Logic has the perfect step sequencer and many of their stock plugins are the best. Drummer is a great tool! Ableton, so far has tight MIDI controller integration, the session view thing is awesome and now has some very sweet MIDI composition tools!
Exactly, the combinator is the only reason I'm still with Reason. I just love it, especially the 2.0. I have zero use for the SSL, only the level sliders, with all the devices and vst's available, everything is built inside the combinator as needed with default combinators for each type of sound. I just love flipping and routing cables where I need to.

After a couple of days and checking out on mobile, the mobile is a little better but I still stand that the desktop is absolutely horrible, it won't grow on me, no chance. Seems the kind of amateur site that would be associated whit Fruity Loops when they first came out

I know I said things about firing people behind this, I dont want anybody to loose their jobs but if I was the owner, I would absolutely give an ultimatum to correct course or fire them. But I'm just a client and the DAW is the main thing. Some people like it, so congrats.

selig
RE Developer

07 Mar 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Mar 2024
Site looks great on mobile. Don't know why there's 4 pages of (i presume) complaints about it.
Because apparently the last thing any of us really want to talk about here is making music with Reason.
Sure, we may eventually do it. But only after making multiple posts in the latest complaint thread first. Priorities?
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

07 Mar 2024

selig wrote:
07 Mar 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Mar 2024
Because apparently the last thing any of us really want to talk about here is making music with Reason.
Sure, we may eventually do it. But only after making multiple posts in the latest complaint thread first. Priorities?
I'm going to posit that what we are witnessing on this thread and forum in general is a case of a strange phenomena I've seen on the rise in the past decade which I'll refer to as "boomer passion". Boomers being extremely passionate about the silliest things nobody cares about that more often than not don't even exist to begin with.😒 - In this particular case it is mostly harmless, but boomer passion can and does get dangerous in the real world when it comes to things that actually do matter 😞

Just checked on the computer and the site looks just as fine there. 👍

selig
RE Developer

07 Mar 2024

parma wrote:
06 Mar 2024
selig wrote:
06 Mar 2024

All I know is that I've got two kids in high school getting ready to go to college. I have practically zero discretionary funds right now!
You are only 46 (lucky you!), I’m talking about closer to retirement age folks (according to friends I know who have researched stuff like this), and obviously not everyone of that age.
Selig Audio, LLC

rgdaniel

07 Mar 2024

I retired from web design around 2008, apart from dabbling a bit in WordPress thereafter, so I'll refrain from commenting on the new site from a technical or web design perspective. And I can't fault them for making me feel old, because yeah, I'm hella old. So while I don't care for the new site, I also just don't care in general. I almost never look at the main site. Just leave the Shop alone, I beg you. Us old folks do not like change. :)

bxbrkrz

07 Mar 2024

Introducing Companion Portal+. The World Of Reason In The Palm Of Your Hand! Get exclusive super flash lightning deals! 90% OFF! Anytime of the day, or in the middle of the night! Catch them all! Be the first to know the future of Reason! Manage your subscription from anywhere in the world. Swap that shaky video on the website with 4 magnificent calm and peaceful themes. Play the Loot Box Re! Only $1! No limit! Unlock and Win free Re and packs every day maybe! Turn your face into a beautiful Combinator!
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

deigm

08 Mar 2024

"I'm old and change frightens and confuses me"
- ReasonTalk

mind2069

08 Mar 2024

deigm wrote:
08 Mar 2024
"I'm old and change frightens and confuses me"
- ReasonTalk
Disliking something (thinking the new site is ugly) is not fear of change. It's just an opinion. How can thinking something is ugly leads to being related to age, fear and confusion?

Mataya

08 Mar 2024

It might be that RS people decided to put stop to all of us checking the page 30 times a day just because we are used to it. What's the point of it? They want new people checking it out and not same people 50 times a day. I'm pretty sure now that you know it's going to flash the hell out of you when you load it, you will think twice.

M

ambi

08 Mar 2024

I don't care for the new design, but what worries me is priority support for Reason+ subscribers.

What will be next?
Dark theme only for subscribers?
Service updates only for subscribers?
More than 5kb/s download bandwidth only for subscribers?

Was pointing that out really necessary? I now feel like a 2nd class customer.

• Information