Spectral Freeze Effect

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ted Pikul

03 Mar 2024

The Electro-Harmonix Superego is a guitar effects pedal which apparently uses some sort of FFT algorithm to sustain a sound (like a guitar chord) indefinitely. The Electro-Harmonix Freeze and Deep Freeze pedals do something similar.

I would like to experiment with making these sounds in the box. What are the best options for this 'spectral freeze' effect in Reason? I know that Polar can freeze the buffer, and the BV512 and BV-X vocoders have a 'Hold' function which can freeze the vocoder bands in place. Maybe the Electro-Harmonix pedals are doing something more complex, though. Can someone who knows about DSP shed some light on this?

mimidancer

04 Mar 2024

it is a cool-sounding pedal. you can do similar and even weider still like that with clouds. Or any granular module with freeze. Softube makes a vst of clouds that may work for you if you are not into hardware. But the pedal you are looking at is probably the way to go. If you do go with clouds after you freeze a chord you can manipulate its pitch with CV. That is weird and fun. But still, the pedal is the way to go IMO.

turn2on
RE Developer

04 Mar 2024

About year this pedal-like FX in the work. And now about 80% in complete.
Cant say when it can be finished as I'm interesting to realise it in various ways.
Very usable and creative fx. Yes, inspired by MI Clouds & EHX Freezer effects.

But this not final functional and look) :puf_wink:

Murf
RE Developer

04 Mar 2024

turn2on wrote:
04 Mar 2024
About year this pedal-like FX in the work. And now about 80% in complete.
Cant say when it can be finished as I'm interesting to realise it in various ways.
Very usable and creative fx. Yes, inspired by MI Clouds & EHX Freezer effects.

But this not final functional and look) :puf_wink:
Wow!

Ted Pikul

05 Mar 2024

mimidancer wrote:
04 Mar 2024
it is a cool-sounding pedal. you can do similar and even weider still like that with clouds. Or any granular module with freeze. Softube makes a vst of clouds that may work for you if you are not into hardware. But the pedal you are looking at is probably the way to go. If you do go with clouds after you freeze a chord you can manipulate its pitch with CV. That is weird and fun. But still, the pedal is the way to go IMO.
I don't think that the Electro-Harmonix pedals use granular processing, but I might be wrong. The Superego can do some tricks that I don't think are possible with granular, like the glissando effect which 'slides' between frozen sounds. Granular can give its own interesting flavor of a 'freeze' effect, though.

mimidancer

05 Mar 2024

Ted Pikul wrote:
05 Mar 2024
mimidancer wrote:
04 Mar 2024
I don't think that the Electro-Harmonix pedals use granular processing, but I might be wrong. The Superego can do some tricks that I don't think are possible with granular, like the glissando effect which 'slides' between frozen sounds. Granular can give its own interesting flavor of a 'freeze' effect, though.
"In this episode I explore new sounds using granular synthesis created by the Superego pedal."
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2012/04/ele ... ngine.html

Ted Pikul

05 Mar 2024

Good find! Maybe these pedals are less mysterious than I thought. I still don't understand how the glissando effect works, though.
mimidancer wrote:
05 Mar 2024
"In this episode I explore new sounds using granular synthesis created by the Superego pedal."

mimidancer

05 Mar 2024

Ted Pikul wrote:
05 Mar 2024
Good find! Maybe these pedals are less mysterious than I thought. I still don't understand how the glissando effect works, though.
mimidancer wrote:
05 Mar 2024
it sounds like it is simply slewing between each new overlapping inputs. So if you are using an EG you want one that does not retrigger between inputs when playing legato. I want to add the pedal sounds great and is not a terrible price.

• Information