first step to a 3 monitor setup

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
moneykube

23 Feb 2024

I received a free 48 inch main monitor the other day. I started reorganizing my studio yesterday > next phase > hook up my keyboards... I must then add the fan back in place, to cool the hard drive, since reason, really heats it up my computer fast > and then hook up a few other pieces of gear. One happy camper here. This will be way more functional :cool: :mrgreen: :clap:
Attachments
IMG_2008.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg (505.13 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Last edited by moneykube on 23 Feb 2024, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

crimsonwarlock

23 Feb 2024

Nice :thumbup:

I see you don't have the Reason mixer up on a screen, that's what I use my big screen for :puf_wink:

Now, if you could only tilt one of the smaller screens 90 degrees, that would be perfect :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moneykube

23 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Nice :thumbup:

I see you don't have the Reason mixer up on a screen, that's what I use my big screen for :puf_wink:

Now, if you could only tilt one of the smaller screens 90 degrees, that would be perfect :puf_bigsmile:
Thanks ! The mixer is on left monitor at the moment.

crimsonwarlock

23 Feb 2024

moneykube wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Thanks ! The mixer is on left monitor at the moment.
Ah, I see now. It is a little washed out in the photograph.

I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with this setup :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

motuscott

23 Feb 2024

Miss the bent spoon. Hope you're not allowing these dweebs to dictate your home décor.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

23 Feb 2024

Nicer pants tho

motuscott

23 Feb 2024

1977 would like it's telephone back
Hope you don't think I'm dissing you
I'm older than Saint Vitus, Sydenham's chorea notwithstanding.

moneykube

23 Feb 2024

motuscott wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Nicer pants tho
yes indeed... those were working in the yard pants. I was painting the house that day. I always burn my clothes with cigarette cherries> so these "nicer pants" just have a few burns in them. When I wear new clothes I always burn them. So I tend to wear "holy" pants. I have a bible study group that I run as well. :o :twisted:
I don't where good pants unless we go out somewhere special> which is quite rare.
motuscott wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Miss the bent spoon.
That was for my medicine. The spoon is burnt too. Nah... that was for Benefiber and bent from ice cream. :puf_wink:
motuscott wrote:
23 Feb 2024
1977 would like it's telephone back
Hope you don't think I'm dissing you
I'm older than Saint Vitus, Sydenham's chorea notwithstanding.
The old phone is a weapon / a club of choice LOL... I found it buried in the basement when we where trying out a phone that didn't work from the second hand store. I thought I might find something to fix it in the basement, and found that nifty phone I repaired for my room. I moved the other old 1977 phone into the hall > that you didn't see in the previous picture. My wife's office still has the mobile phone we were trying to replace with the 3 dollar thrift store buy. May grab some from amazon for her.
Nah> no offence taken > The comments gave me a chuckle.
Right after I got the monitors in place> my Focusrite interface I use on my Mac Mini, had a hardware failure > one year past the warranty deadline... I spent the afternoon on a chat with them. It appears they may replace the interface even though the warranty is up. If they do that I will be quite impressed, and 5 stars will be given to Focusrite.
I also moved my 2012 powerbook laptop to the left of the image above, with a G4 > that can do protools, hiding behind the left monitor. Both will work with my ancient Digi Design 002 interface, and are now set up.
After that, I tried to bring 2 ancient cassette decks, and a VHS machine to life. I had surprising success with an Akai cassette machine with a pitch control button built in , that sat as a decoration in my room for the past 20 years.( millions of old songs mixed to cassette may get new life !) > It seems the old tape sound is back in vogue> so why not? The VHS and other cassette deck were DOA. Then, I set up an old DVD machine to the big monitor for kicks. The other side of the room has 2 working apple G3's > suped up ( one for video, one for audio> with an old Digi Design card that runs an earlier protools version than the G4 runs. I bought replacement belts for my ancient Tascam cassette 4 track that still need to be installed, and then even more songs from the 80's will see the light of day again.
I have a number of old mixers > as well as the Peavy mixer in the corner on the right between the two monitors on the right. The wall on the other side is covered with guitar amps from the 50's, and 60's. Not to mention 2 reel to reel two track recorders > and, a working Nagra from my film days. Then there are a pile of ancient >midi only synths that I may bring out from time to time. I use an Arturia controller, and a small Komplete control controller > on my newer gear running Reason 12 > most of the time > when I am not mucking around with the ancient gear.
I am the king of old technology and of course "holy" pants. I am getting old as well, and likely babbled long enough :lol:

motuscott

23 Feb 2024

Respect!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2024

Can you tilt any of those vertically?

moneykube

24 Feb 2024

mcatalao wrote:
24 Feb 2024
I would love that.. still trying to think of a way... it's tight space with everything setup now, and the ceiling is slanted in corner> I plan to do it with the monitor on the right. There is a cupboard there and if I open the top drawer I may be able to flip that monitor vertical with a little construction. Ideally, that would be best. The stand is odd though... so it will take some thinking.:lightbulb:
Although> I have a few other monitors that might work better for the vertical challenge.

tomusurp

24 Feb 2024

Oh yea multi monitor is so much more efficient, although I use dual monitors, with one being vertical so I can fit both the rack and mixer windows on it. Saves space and the need for a 3rd monitor
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2024

moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2024
mcatalao wrote:
24 Feb 2024
I would love that.. still trying to think of a way... it's tight space with everything setup now, and the ceiling is slanted in corner> I plan to do it with the monitor on the right. There is a cupboard there and if I open the top drawer I may be able to flip that monitor vertical with a little construction. Ideally, that would be best. The stand is odd though... so it will take some thinking.:lightbulb:
Although> I have a few other monitors that might work better for the vertical challenge.
Yeah that's exactly how i have mine. Left and center horizontally and the right one is vertical:

crimsonwarlock

25 Feb 2024

mcatalao wrote:
25 Feb 2024
Yeah that's exactly how i have mine. Left and center horizontally and the right one is vertical:
Same here :puf_bigsmile:

By the way, I see 24 motorized faders and a Korg PadControl.... hmmmm...

-------

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 Feb 2024
mcatalao wrote:
25 Feb 2024
Same here :puf_bigsmile:

By the way, I see 24 motorized faders and a Korg PadControl.... hmmmm...

I rarely use the padkontrol. I bought it thinking i'd use it more, but i usually input drums with the piano keys.

You got a nice spot there!!!

ps.: Is that a tascam U2400? If so it's an amazing piece of gear! That was what i wanted when i made my 3 BCF2000 setup.
Still kicking like the first day, right? A friend of mine has one but he doesn't want to get rid of it... LOL

crimsonwarlock

25 Feb 2024

mcatalao wrote:
25 Feb 2024
I rarely use the padkontrol. I bought it thinking i'd use it more, but i usually input drums with the piano keys.
I don't use it that much anymore either, but that's because I now have other ways of creating my drum tracks (like BeatMap :puf_wink: ).
mcatalao wrote:
25 Feb 2024
You got a nice spot there!!!
Thanks, yours is not too shabby either :puf_bigsmile:

I also see your wind controller, is that an EWI? It's not in my picture, but I have a Yamaha WX-5 here :puf_smile:
mcatalao wrote:
25 Feb 2024
ps.: Is that a tascam U2400? If so it's an amazing piece of gear! That was what i wanted when i made my 3 BCF2000 setup.
Still kicking like the first day, right? A friend of mine has one but he doesn't want to get rid of it... LOL
Yep, US-2400. Totally incredible piece of gear, and mine is in mint condition and fully functional (I bought it new back then). But I still have to set up the remote files correctly, so I can use it completely in Reason.
-------

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 Feb 2024

I also see your wind controller, is that an EWI? It's not in my picture, but I have a Yamaha WX-5 here :puf_smile:
(...)

Yep, US-2400. Totally incredible piece of gear, and mine is in mint condition and fully functional (I bought it new back then). But I still have to set up the remote files correctly, so I can use it completely in Reason.
Totally But the investment in learning Reason Remote is well worth it. People don't like remote very much but I was able to configure reason and my stuff so that i almost don't need to use the mouse while mixing.

I have an EWI USB since i don't know, and an EWI Solo for live stuff, though that's hidden somewhere... :)
I don't have external synths though, i went almost everything ITB (and mostly reason stuff) where it pertains to synths.

joeyluck

25 Feb 2024

Anybody using the Quest 3 with Reason yet using passthrough and virtual monitors? I'm actually considering it. Much more affordable than the Vision Pro. Then I can have my entire desktop open, use my physical keyboard and controllers, and have displays any size and wherever I need them.

• Information