Reason opens windowed, but never to full screen size

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oeks

14 Feb 2024

I've been seeing this issue for a while now, and I can't figure out how to change it, I'm on Mac OS, and have changed the default window size in the options, but reason still opens with 20 pixels or so around the window.

Any tips on how to get it to open in windowed mode but actually fit the screen would be greatly appreciated.

Pepin

14 Feb 2024

You need to use a song template. Reason saves the window dimensions as part of the song file.

antic604

14 Feb 2024

Pepin wrote:
14 Feb 2024
You need to use a song template. Reason saves the window dimensions as part of the song file.
It does? It doesn't on Windows.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

crimsonwarlock

15 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
14 Feb 2024
It doesn't on Windows.
Yes it does. The default templates are not maximized, but all my projects and my own templates open maximized, even across my three screens. You have to maximize a default template, save it, and replace the original template with the newly saved one.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

annamivivan

15 Feb 2024

Sometimes, preferences or settings can become corrupted, causing unexpected behavior. Try resetting Reason's preferences to their default settings. To do this, go to Reason's preferences or settings menu and look for an option to reset preferences or restore defaults.

antic604

15 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
15 Feb 2024
antic604 wrote:
14 Feb 2024
It doesn't on Windows.
Yes it does. The default templates are not maximized, but all my projects and my own templates open maximized, even across my three screens. You have to maximize a default template, save it, and replace the original template with the newly saved one.
No, it doesn't.

This is how my template is saved:

template_saved_h.png
template_saved_h.png (555.73 KiB) Viewed 999 times

...and this is how it opens after launching Reason:

I have to re-align the windows every time, also in saved projects.

template_opened_h.png
template_opened_h.png (494.34 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Music tech enthusiast.

crimsonwarlock

15 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
15 Feb 2024
No, it doesn't.
Not sure what is going with your system, but on my system (Win 10) it completely works as expected. The sequencer, mixer and rack open each on their designated screen and maximized. Templates that are not split-up over the screens (like my mastering template) open on my main screen, again maximized.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Pepin

15 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
15 Feb 2024

No, it doesn't.

It definitely works on both mac and windows for me.
I tested it briefly, and I think the issue is with side and corner snapped windows on WIndows.
Full screen and unsnapped windows get saved properly, but side and corner-snapped windows seem to revert to their pre-snapped orientation after relaunching.

antic604

15 Feb 2024

Pepin wrote:
15 Feb 2024
antic604 wrote:
15 Feb 2024

No, it doesn't.

It definitely works on both mac and windows for me.
I tested it briefly, and I think the issue is with side and corner snapped windows on WIndows.
Full screen and unsnapped windows get saved properly, but side and corner-snapped windows seem to revert to their pre-snapped orientation after relaunching.
Sure, it works when we're talking about 1 panel per screen, full size.

But it doesn't for the scenario I presented and that's the one I personally use.

Obviously it's not a deal breaker - takes ~3s to set it back up. But it shouldn't be necessary :)
Music tech enthusiast.

crimsonwarlock

15 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
15 Feb 2024
But it doesn't for the scenario I presented and that's the one I personally use.
The problem is that Windows (as far as I'm aware) does not retain window positions for individual windows inside an application. I used to develop windows enterprise applications in the past, where I implemented window-position and placement management for individual windows, but with today's wide variety of screen resolutions, that might be pretty involved to implement.

You could create a hotkey script that positions and sizes your windows in one step: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/lib/WinMove.htm

You can even create a compiled script with AutoHotKey, that runs in the background and does this whenever you open Reason.
-------

antic604

16 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
15 Feb 2024
antic604 wrote:
15 Feb 2024
The problem is that Windows (as far as I'm aware) does not retain window positions for individual windows inside an application. I used to develop windows enterprise applications in the past, where I implemented window-position and placement management for individual windows, but with today's wide variety of screen resolutions, that might be pretty involved to implement.

You could create a hotkey script that positions and sizes your windows in one step: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/lib/WinMove.htm

You can even create a compiled script with AutoHotKey, that runs in the background and does this whenever you open Reason.
Thanks for the idea! I'll look into it :)
Music tech enthusiast.

• Information