I borked my PC, will I have any issue activating R+ on a new machine?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2024

I activated R+ on my PC on January 4th, which I think should expire in a couple of months, right?

So I've ordered a new machine (the Dell Micro was cool but I could never get the Bluetooth or wireless working, not even when I ordered the exact same chip it originally came with) ... ... ...

I'm hoping I don't suffer any issues with it saying I'm authorized on another machine, ... ... ... oh, ... and my iLok stuff :o

So irritating!!

joeyluck

13 Feb 2024

With R+ / R12 and the new authorization system, you can authorize up to 3 computers for offline use. You can of course also still use online authorization as well. How long your computer is authorized for depends on your plan and if you chose to enable long-term authorization.

That said, you can still contact support to have the authorization removed here: https://account.reasonstudios.com/authorized_computers/

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2024

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2024
With R+ / R12 and the new authorization system, you can authorize up to 3 computers for offline use. You can of course also still use online authorization as well. How long your computer is authorized for depends on your plan and if you chose to enable long-term authorization.

That said, you can still contact support to have the authorization removed here: https://account.reasonstudios.com/authorized_computers/
Oh, that's cool, .. pretty sure I've only authorized it on one machine.

It's iLok that's going to be the real problem though. Man, ... I'm so annoyed right now. Mostly with myself.

Why did I press that stupid button?

Why???

I knew exactly what was going to happen!

joeyluck

13 Feb 2024

Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how iLok works. They have their "zero downtime" service, but I think you can still report a computer unusable and maybe it just takes longer? I think they have to get permission from each dev to release each license? I'm not sure. This is where I think the periodic online reauthorization systems come in handy.

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2024

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2024
Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how iLok works. They have their "zero downtime" service, but I think you can still report a computer unusable and maybe it just takes longer?
I should have a free available activation for the stuff I use the most.

And maybe I can use the cloud activation in the meantime.

But to prevent this happening in the future I'll just order an ilok key.

I'll see if I can do a recovery with Hiren

joeyluck

13 Feb 2024

avasopht wrote:
13 Feb 2024
joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2024
Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how iLok works. They have their "zero downtime" service, but I think you can still report a computer unusable and maybe it just takes longer?
I should have a free available activation for the stuff I use the most.

And maybe I can use the cloud activation in the meantime.

But to prevent this happening in the future I'll just order an ilok key.

I'll see if I can do a recovery with Hiren
Looks like there is no support for a lost iLok if you don't have zero downtime and you would have to contact the individual publishers: https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage

Funny, with some people voicing their dislike of Reason's new authorization and periodic reauthorization, I would probably enable that feature with iLok if it were available 😅

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2024

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2024
Funny, with some people voicing their dislike of Reason's new authorization and periodic reauthorization, I would probably enable that feature with iLok if it were available 😅
Pretty much :D

DaveyG

13 Feb 2024

Lots of my iLok licences have more than one authorisation and, I think, you can install the iLok software on your new PC and manually deactivate licences that were on your old one. I certainly managed that with some of my iLok licences when I had a kaput PC a few years back. I think the zero downtime thing is only for lost or broken physical USB dongles rather than "soft" licences.

moneykube

13 Feb 2024

avasopht wrote:
13 Feb 2024

Why???

Which button did you push? :shock:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

antic604

13 Feb 2024

moneykube wrote:
13 Feb 2024
avasopht wrote:
13 Feb 2024

Why???

+1

If you have that old computer still, just log back in and deactivate the iLok licenses. If not, you're going to have to contact each plugin developer to retrieve them. I needed it once (my PC just died...) and it worked for some developers, others ignored me (so I had one activation less available).
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2024

moneykube wrote:
13 Feb 2024
avasopht wrote:
13 Feb 2024

Why???

A little background: It wouldn't boot into Windows (I installed Ubuntu onto the smaller drive after installing Windows onto the larger drive I added last year, but I think it was booting from the smaller drive that Windows used to be installed on).

As to what happened:

I'm ashamed to say, but ...

I booted up in recovery mode but I couldn't remember if this USB had Windows 10 or 11, and recovery failed, as did restoration of the boot (it would just, ... ... act all confused and give up, ... and sometimes lie that it succeeded).

By that point, I only wanted to confirm what USB it was, because maybe that's what the problem was (I was on Windows 11 but my laptop only supports up to Windows 10 and that might be what installer is on it).

I figured it would say which version of Windows was being installed before it started writing to the main drive.

But I have a feeling I streamlined this boot USB to eliminate/automate some of the options.

And there I was, a total moron, knowing the confirmation box before me was going to ruin my drive. I knew it.

My instincts knew it.

I knew it. My neighbor's dog knew it. And I could hear my ancestors screaming through the walls not to do it.

But click that confirmation box I did, and to my horror, it just started copying files quicker than I could visualize myself face-palming (where you'd normally have a few more things to do).

I've just put Hiren onto the USB (and delivery of my new machine, despite the driver clearly coming to my road, did not arrive) so I'll do a little tinkering to see if I can revive this soon-to-be-a-brick-if-it-tests-me PC.

antic604

14 Feb 2024

avasopht wrote:
13 Feb 2024
And there I was, a total moron, knowing the confirmation box before me was going to ruin my drive. I knew it.

My instincts knew it.

I knew it. My neighbor's dog knew it. And I could hear my ancestors screaming through the walls not to do it.

But click that confirmation box I did, and to my horror, it just started copying files quicker than I could visualize myself face-palming (where you'd normally have a few more things to do).
Sorry to hear that :(

But, on the flip side, it's sometimes good to start from the blank slate (so to speak).

Also, Linux version of Reason would be great!
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
14 Feb 2024
Sorry to hear that :(

But, on the flip side, it's sometimes good to start from the blank slate (so to speak).

Also, Linux version of Reason would be great!
Funnily enough, it was a bit of a blank slate and I'd not long reinstalled everything on that machine 😅

My iLok will be coming on Saturday.

There was no need to use that machine for development.

On the bright side, it did motivate me a little to buy this new machine (which didn't arrive again today).

challism

14 Feb 2024

avasopht wrote:
13 Feb 2024
I activated R+ on my PC on January 4th, which I think should expire in a couple of months, right?

So I've ordered a new machine (the Dell Micro was cool but I could never get the Bluetooth or wireless working, not even when I ordered the exact same chip it originally came with) ... ... ...

I'm hoping I don't suffer any issues with it saying I'm authorized on another machine, ... ... ... oh, ... and my iLok stuff :o

So irritating!!

I hadn't known the word "bork/borked" before you posted. That's a fun slang word. Thanks
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/bork
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2024

avasopht wrote:
13 Feb 2024
moneykube wrote:
13 Feb 2024

A little background: It wouldn't boot into Windows (I installed Ubuntu onto the smaller drive after installing Windows onto the larger drive I added last year, but I think it was booting from the smaller drive that Windows used to be installed on).

As to what happened:

I'm ashamed to say, but ...

I booted up in recovery mode but I couldn't remember if this USB had Windows 10 or 11, and recovery failed, as did restoration of the boot (it would just, ... ... act all confused and give up, ... and sometimes lie that it succeeded).
(...)
Yikes... That's why you never should use your mucic pc for this kind of stuff. At most i usually do some beta testing for reason and other brands, but i never "play" with the OS unless i really need too. And now i have this machine on a clean stable state, previous machine worked almost flawlessly for at least 7 years (and is now my sandbox for this kind of mingling).

An iLock is a very good idea, as long as you have a backup of that on their side, or you use Ilock Cloud. That's actually a good system, though Reason's way, where you have a local long time license and if you need to use it on other machin, you have online authorization. Pretty neat. Ilock can't do that, unless you have a multi license agreement from the third party and can pull one to the cloud and keep the other on the hardware ilock.

• Information