Remote MIDI maps location OSX?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
taddx

12 Feb 2024

Hello there, could someone please help me I must be doing something wrong..

I am trying to edit remote midi map for my old Oxygen49 to take advantage of more controls now available in the new Combinator. The changes don't seem to be applied I think I am working on a wrong file.

I did the following:

went to: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote
found my Oxygen 49 map, edited according to info I found on props website and YT videos, saved, but nothing happened.

Out of curiosity I copied the remote map files to desktop then emptied the whole M Audio maps folder but the 'Manually Add' option in Reason preferences is still showing the whole list of devices so I presume they are located elsewhere.

What am I doing wrong here? :puf_unhappy:

huggermugger

12 Feb 2024

Drop the Go Menu in the Finder and then press the Option key. There's a hidden user library that only appears when you hold down the Option key. You'll find an alternative Application Support folder there.

taddx

12 Feb 2024

I tried that - the Remote folder in that directory appears empty. Do you see Maps folder in yours?

edit: there should be Maps and Codecs

huggermugger

12 Feb 2024

Yeah, mine is empty too. :O

taddx

12 Feb 2024

Thanks for checking :)

Any other ideas where to look?

MadGadget

12 Feb 2024

Hmmm, Ive had this exact problem on so many version of macOSX and Reason that I have lost count.

Yes, that location is where Reason 'seems' to store and relate to Maps, but it does not register in Reason when you edit any of those, including the codecs.

What I found does work, is this:

- go the Reason.app in your applications folder, then right click on it and select the 'Show Package Contents' option.
- Now, Finder will open the app (which is a compressed file) and show a folder called 'Contents', open that
- Next, you will see various other folders, Frameworks, MacOS etc, but the one you want to open is 'Resources'
- Now, you will see lots of files, scroll down until you see a folder called 'Remote', open that
- You will now see 4 folders, BuiltInCodecs, BuiltInMaps, DefaultCodecs and DefaultMaps
- If you open DefaultMaps, you will see all the same folders as you saw in the /Library/App Support/....etc location.

Edit or copy in your map(s) to the correct folder then close that Finder window, or navigate your way back up to the Applications folder.

This, by the way, is the place where Reason is getting the maps from, even though you emptied the relevant folder in the Application Support location.....

Now, start up Reason and check your map changes, I bet they are referenced correctly.

Whenever I now customise my maps, I make them in the actual Reason app, pretty sure it's a bug.

I have also made custom controllers along with maps and codecs, and I just put them in there rather than bothering with the application support folder, it's always worked for me. :thumbs_up:

The only downside that I have found is that I have to keep copies elsewhere as if you update Reason, the Reason.app file is updated and the maps etc that you copied in will be lost. So, keeping them elsewhere means you just have to copy them in once more after the update.

I guess they will fix this one, one day :?:

taddx

13 Feb 2024

That did the trick, huge thanks MadGadget !!

MadGadget

13 Feb 2024

You're welcome :-)

• Information