How to recommend Reason Studios to your friend

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

19 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
18 Feb 2024
I guess best way to recommend Reason STUDIOS to a friend would be to send them a link to careers page:

https://careers.reasonstudios.com/

How TF people are getting this wrong all the time?! I never heard anyone say "I use Steinberg GmBH" or "I make music with Image-Line".
“Ableton” would like a word…
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

19 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
19 Feb 2024
antic604 wrote:
18 Feb 2024
I guess best way to recommend Reason STUDIOS to a friend would be to send them a link to careers page:

https://careers.reasonstudios.com/

How TF people are getting this wrong all the time?! I never heard anyone say "I use Steinberg GmBH" or "I make music with Image-Line".
“Ableton” would like a word…
Oh, I gave up fighting this one :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

joeyluck

19 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Feb 2024

Also, Reason is just about the worst product name since the advent of search engines. They better had kept the company name and renamed the software to Propellerhead Studio (like the Fruity Loops guys did).
That's funny that you refer to the "Fruity Loops guys" in the same way that people referred to the "Reason guys". Doing the exact thing that Reason Studios said people did with their name.

And if they would've done as you are suggesting, using the company name in the software, it would be Image Line Studio or IL Studio. Funny you flipped that as well lol

Maybe you meant Ableton? People refer to their software by the company name, such as saying, "I use Ableton".

I liked the idea of Reason Labs as a company name, but Reason Studios has grown on me over time. And I have always loved the Reason name.

DaveyG

19 Feb 2024

ReCycle
ReBirth
ReWire
Reason
Record
And I bet someone there was proper chuffed when they came up with the RE acronym for Rack Extensions.

But in Internet-land "Propellehead" was a whole lot easier to Google than "Reason", as well as being a more characterful and interesting name.

crimsonwarlock

19 Feb 2024

DaveyG wrote:
19 Feb 2024
But in Internet-land "Propellehead" was a whole lot easier to Google than "Reason", as well as being a more characterful and interesting name.
This :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

joeyluck

19 Feb 2024

Yeah except you have to know Propellerhead first, which was mostly people who already owned Reason. More people knew Reason than the Propellerhead name.

I just searched "reason" while incognito and it was the 3rd hit after the magazine and the Merriam-Webster definition. It was additionally the 6th hit after the foundation and the dictionary .com definition.

But even then, who searches just "reason" by itself? What exactly are you trying to achieve? If I go on the web and search "bitwig", what am I trying to do? Find the software? I know where to go for that. Am I trying to buy it? I know where to go for that. More likely I may search with context like, "How to crossfade audio in bitwig". In that case, it makes sense what I'm searching for and when you have context, searching for Reason related things isn't an issue. But again, it's there in the top hits when searching "reason" so, seems ok :)

selig
RE Developer

19 Feb 2024

I get almost the same: the magazine, Reason.com, the dictionary definition, and Reason Studios.
And even before the name change, I'd be searching for Reason not Propellerhead. Which may be why they changed the name?
Selig Audio, LLC

xbitz

19 Feb 2024

In my opinion, the strongest point remains its ability to print non-real-time scales, chord progressions, arpeggios, and whatever else into a sequencer using the 'send to track' button, which is not possible from the plugin version. Moreover, it does not look like an Excel spreadsheet, considering it's AI, and at least it includes a mixer.
The fact that these three players (+delta computer) can be printed out takes the cake; everything else is just a bonus (including the cables and the super duper flexible routing)
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

dvdrtldg

20 Feb 2024

xbitz wrote:
19 Feb 2024
In my opinion, the strongest point remains its ability to print non-real-time scales, chord progressions, arpeggios, and whatever else into a sequencer using the 'send to track' button, which is not possible from the plugin version.
So with the plugin version of Reason, is it completely impossible to get MIDI notes from a player into your 3rd party DAW sequencer? Or is there some sort of workaround, depending on which DAW you're using?

DaveyG

20 Feb 2024

dvdrtldg wrote:
20 Feb 2024
xbitz wrote:
19 Feb 2024
In my opinion, the strongest point remains its ability to print non-real-time scales, chord progressions, arpeggios, and whatever else into a sequencer using the 'send to track' button, which is not possible from the plugin version.
So with the plugin version of Reason, is it completely impossible to get MIDI notes from a player into your 3rd party DAW sequencer? Or is there some sort of workaround, depending on which DAW you're using?
You just record them in real-time. I do it all the time. It's my standard way of working with Reason.

antic604

20 Feb 2024

dvdrtldg wrote:
20 Feb 2024
Use the MIDI Out device and record the MIDI in your DAW of choice:

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

xbitz

20 Feb 2024

In Bitwig, it's possible to do non-real-time capturing by placing a MIDI-Cap after the RRP, should create an empty clip with the appropriate length, then perform a 'bounce in place' on it, followed by an undo action. From the MIDI-Cap window, you can then drag the captured MIDI notes into it

https://www.birdsthings.com/midi-cap

but even then, it's more cumbersome than doing the same thing directly in Reason

it takes about 10 seconds to extract something like this from Reason using the 'send to track' method, so if I had to recommend, probably I'd start with this

( the dynamic mode of Pearls - Euclidean Collision Sequencer https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/ is not free but brilliant for sure, Chord Sequencer also )

ps. In addition, in Reason, the player device-driven racks can be connected with a single poly-cv cable, so essentially a single chord sequencer is capable of driving an entire track https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... converter/

kitekrazy

20 Feb 2024

These threads can be annoying with butthurt fanboys cutting down other DAWs. I never recommend any DAW except for Bandlab because it's free. I tell others every DAW has a demo and see what connects with you. What matters to a developer is if they can sustain income and hopefully no one acquires their company and ruins it.

crimsonwarlock

20 Feb 2024

kitekrazy wrote:
20 Feb 2024
... butthurt fanboys...
Maybe we can keep this discussion civilized, yes? :puf_smile:
kitekrazy wrote:
20 Feb 2024
... cutting down other DAWs.
I didn't see any of that here. This topic was actually turning into a rather constructive discussion, right up until your post here :?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

20 Feb 2024

kitekrazy wrote:
20 Feb 2024
These threads can be annoying with butthurt fanboys cutting down other DAWs…
Life tip (and forum tip) - if you get butthurt by a post, posting your annoyance won’t make your butt hurt less.
No need to make personal attacks here, or to ascribe intentions on others - the rest of your post was awesome.
–moderator tip!
Selig Audio, LLC

bxbrkrz

20 Feb 2024

I know the answer. Send a link to this very thread to your friend. Your friend will see how much we care about finding an answer for you.
Tell your friend it is because we use friendly Reason :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2024

kitekrazy wrote:
20 Feb 2024
I tell others every DAW has a demo and see what connects with you. What matters to a developer is if they can sustain income and hopefully no one acquires their company and ruins it.
This 100%.

That's an honest and humble approach that doesn't impose one's preferences on others.

motuscott

20 Feb 2024

My band, Butthurt Fanboys going on around 10:00 tonight at your Local Bar.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

pushedbutton

20 Feb 2024

I solved this problem by removing friends from the equation.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

xbitz

22 Feb 2024

still a good one

"don't sweat it"

rcbuse
RE Developer

23 Feb 2024

xbitz wrote:
20 Feb 2024
In Bitwig, it's possible to do non-real-time capturing by placing a MIDI-Cap after the RRP, should create an empty clip with the appropriate length, then perform a 'bounce in place' on it, followed by an undo action. From the MIDI-Cap window, you can then drag the captured MIDI notes into it
BAM! This is an amazing tip!! So much better than messing with bitwigs I/O to record the output in real-time. I've missed the send-to-track since I made the switch but this solves that. :clap: :clap: Timing seems dead accurate as well

crimsonwarlock

23 Feb 2024

-------

xbitz

23 Feb 2024

I would say that Reason and maybe FL Studio are in the left (fun) corner, and everything on the right is more serious, so there's a perceptual difference between DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations). For example, when you open Ableton Live, you get the feeling that now you're going to make music seriously, like it's saying 'come on, do it' ... while Reason simply says 'don't sweat it'.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2024

Well, Reason is not a religion... I never felt the need to propose reason to anybody.

Just suggest him, send him a link to reasonstudios site and if he/she has any question about it, help them!

Reason is a fun DAW, enough for anyone that tries it, dig it and get it if one likes it.
But each one has his way to work so, a daw with a bounded rack that is super versatile but also adds some complexity to the routing part, might not be for everybody!

kitekrazy

23 Feb 2024

mcatalao wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Well, Reason is not a religion... I never felt the need to propose reason to anybody.

Just suggest him, send him a link to reasonstudios site and if he/she has any question about it, help them!

Reason is a fun DAW, enough for anyone that tries it, dig it and get it if one likes it.
But each one has his way to work so, a daw with a bounded rack that is super versatile but also adds some complexity to the routing part, might not be for everybody!
People treat DAWs that way. Say something critical about a DAW then it's gihaud. Go to a youtube channel and someone will comment like "use a real DAW, bro". We fall into this fantasy the people will like our music better according to the means used.

• Information