How to recommend Reason Studios to your friend

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2024

Funnily enough one of my friends who I used to make music with in music wanted a recommendation.

I recommended studio one.

I didn't want to risk her having difficulties with the rack or anything.

Hey brother told her to just get Reason+. He was confused why I didn't suggest it.

And she was so happy to use it, especially when I introduced her to the players.

I was amazed just how easy reason was to use for a beginner.

joeyluck

12 Feb 2024

Yeah Reason is unique, intuitive and fun. And if ultimately a new user decides that the DAW isn't quite for them, they aren't left with nothing and still have the RRP. That's what makes Reason a great choice if buying a DAW. And then there's Reason+ as well if you want to spend less, try it out, and play with more things.

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2024

joeyluck wrote:
12 Feb 2024
Yeah Reason is unique, intuitive and fun. And if ultimately a new user decides that the DAW isn't quite for them, they aren't left with nothing and still have the RRP. That's what makes Reason a great choice if buying a DAW. And then there's Reason+ as well if you want to spend less, try it out, and play with more things.
To my friend, R+ was the perfect way to get started.

From her point of view, if she doesn't like it or doesn't have much time for a few months she can stop subscribing.

All that matters to her is that she can record vocals and lay down some basic keys.

That was an eye-opening moment for me.

You might see a few people say that in a forum but when it's someone you know paying for a service they normally wouldn't it makes you look at it a little differently.

I also get that feeling when working with others and they are shocked by how quickly I was able to do something when all I was doing was using a few basic Reason features.

---

But I'm not a fan of recommending what I use (especially if it's a little niche) just on the basis that I like it. I might mention it as an option but my sister prefers FL Studio and Live, so I got her a Push.

For my brother who has much less experience and just wanted to make simple beats, I just got him a KO-33 (that was after watching him wrestling with the MPC).

mimidancer

12 Feb 2024

I enjoy Studio One especially when I need to write printout music for an ensemble. But when I am creating I am in the Reason DAW.

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2024

mimidancer wrote:
12 Feb 2024
I enjoy Studio One especially when I need to write printout music for an ensemble. But when I am creating I am in the Reason DAW.
I'm really curious about their orchestration as the keyswitches are integrated with the editor so that you can control & edit articulations on a per-note basis.

I only have Studio One Personal edition, ... ... ... and I'm reluctant to subscribe to Sphere without a good enough reason.

moofi

12 Feb 2024

Old story once again? ;-)
Even in its current state Reason is a perfectly well working DAW. If you aren´t able to produce pleasant music with it I would first work on musical/engineering skills. Not to say things couldn´t be improved anyway, just saying :-)
What I´m missing from basically any other DAW is the Rack. Choosing routings from dropdownmenues with a generic interface while being sequencer-centric simply lessens the enjoyment of the music creation process experience here. I can work in other DAW and respectively can create at least in my ears pleasant music, yet Reason simply feels like home for given reason.

tewoc wrote:
12 Feb 2024
To my friend:

"So my dear friend, I love Reason and use it since the early days, but the company is not spreading trust to its own DAW userbase. To be honest to you my friend, I would not recommend you to buy it, because there is a strange "once a year go online" licence sheme and some hard missing core features, too. See my friend, the main reason is the lack of sequencer and workflow features, even if the sequencer is not that bad at all and the rack & ssl mixer for sure are very cool.
Nobody really knows how everything will develop in the future with this software and in my personal feeling there is a lack of community communication. I hope they change this strategy, but it doesn't look like they will do it soon. So right now I just can't recommend it to you, even if I would like to."

I love you my friend.

Bes
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
10 Feb 2024
why would you recommend reason?
perhaps i meant why is it that anyone needs Reason recommended to them?
i feel like that the answer to that question would be my answer to the OP
- Certified Reason expert

moofi

12 Feb 2024

Because I often feel like they would be missing out otherwise :-)
Bes wrote:
12 Feb 2024
Bes wrote:
10 Feb 2024
why would you recommend reason?
perhaps i meant why is it that anyone needs Reason recommended to them?
i feel like that the answer to that question would be my answer to the OP

benjified

12 Feb 2024

Don't send your friend here.....

Unless there's a specific problem your friend has, or if there's something cool in the tutorials section.

I kid I kid, mostly.

Mattvank

15 Feb 2024

The best way to recommend is working with it and doing inspiring stuff. :reason:

I give Ableton 11 a try and wanted to use Reason Plugin with it. At the end, i am now change my workflow a little bit in Reason and give bloxxs a new chance. :-)
And i thinke vice versa it is the same. People which working all lot with other DAW´s will hardly change there own.

hamsterfactor

15 Feb 2024

:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

Popey
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2024

For me if they are already working in another daw I would suggest we get together have a few beers (if they drink) or food etc and jam out on reason.

Reason+ is a good way for them to try it but a much better way imo would be to be there and help your friend use it like their own daw. Little things like knowing where to find things or add automation in a different daw can be frustrating and having a knowledgeable friend would keep it focussed on making music and not technical stuff.

That way they can see where they like it more than their current daw and you can show them what differences it has so they can make an informed decision from a playful session with a friend.

tomusurp

15 Feb 2024

I personally think we are lucky to be Reason users as I believe we are using a trillion dollar software. Why? Because it's super streamlined in the most common productions tasks, especially for my genre of EDM for example:

1. Mixing on the go via SSL mixer and quick access spectrum EQ. If you make A LOT of music like I do, you have no idea how much time I save doing this most common mixing task
2. Pitch correction which is BUILT INTO the sequencer and straight to the point, along with the slicing and comp options. In FL Studio for example, you have to jump through hoops just to set it up, and then when you're done you have to import back the new modified vocal. Total frankenstein-like architecture
3. Auto organization. Again, super time saver. And this is something FL Studio for example only implemented as an option not too long ago which still requires extra clicking

And I'm not knocking other DAW's. I'm also an owner of FL and Logic. They are both very good, but like I said Reason is simply incredible, even though we are a smaller community than the big players. It's like a genius little brother.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

challism

15 Feb 2024

I've always had luck using this method of persuasion.
convincing.png
convincing.png (379.79 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

bxbrkrz

15 Feb 2024

Who can reply?
Accounts @reasonstudios follows or mentioned can reply

Great marketing move RS.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

raymondh

16 Feb 2024

To me it's 100% about inspiration: Having the tools that will inspire creativity firstly, and then inspire completion secondly.

Reason has plenty of limitations and cons. Reason's superpower is that it is FUN.

If adding Reason to his collection means your friend starts more new songs, then even if they then move back to Logic etc to finish those songs, then Reason has done it's job in the creative process.

If your friend has hundreds of unfinished riffs/tracks and never actually finishes them and publishes them etc, then maybe the Reason experience may result in a different pattern.

the icing on the cake though is how well Reason Rack plays with DAWs, and how great the Reason native devices are. I don't think I have any Reaper projects where I haven't used a bunch of RRP's which I especially love for sound design, mangling and processing. When creating an arrangement with 60-80 tracks, I find Reason overwhelming in trying to organise tracks (Track Folders please Reasonstudios), but I can have as many instances of the RRP in a Reaper project.

Hardware synths are a bit of the same argument. Why spend $000 on a hardware synth when a pretty damn near equivalent sound is achievable in software? It's the creative process - being inspired to play a hardware synth can result in creating a track that would not have eventuated by staring at a computer screen. But then after having that new idea, nothing wrong with then finishing the song in-the-box.

What about the professional musicians?
- Depeche Mode, where Martin Gore starts many of his tracks as ideas playing his guitar?
- Other synth artists (I forget who) that start their ideas playing a piano, without the distraction of creating synth patches. Then later rearranging it on synths.

antic604

18 Feb 2024

I guess best way to recommend Reason STUDIOS to a friend would be to send them a link to careers page:

https://careers.reasonstudios.com/

How TF people are getting this wrong all the time?! I never heard anyone say "I use Steinberg GmBH" or "I make music with Image-Line".
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

crimsonwarlock

18 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
18 Feb 2024
How TF people are getting this wrong all the time?!
It happens when you name your company pretty much the same as your product :?

It seemed a stupid move to me marketing-wise anyway: How to make sure that everyone on the planet who remembers Propellerheads Software cannot find their current products. It's called “destroying marketing value”, I think it's discussed on page three of the second chapter of Doing Business 101 :lol:

But don't tell this to your friend :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

splitpen

18 Feb 2024

If you're "sick" of effects sold for high prices and marketing stuff telling you: "you should buy it to be in the game" and in the end get you nowhere... Reason makes you understand the flow of cv and routing to build it your own. If you are willing to invest in time and knowledge. You will be rewarded
You can build your own effects and sounds which bring your tracks to a new level.
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

antic604

19 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Feb 2024
antic604 wrote:
18 Feb 2024
How TF people are getting this wrong all the time?!
It happens when you name your company pretty much the same as your product :?

It seemed a stupid move to me marketing-wise anyway: How to make sure that everyone on the planet who remembers Propellerheads Software cannot find their current products. It's called “destroying marketing value”, I think it's discussed on page three of the second chapter of Doing Business 101 :lol:

But don't tell this to your friend :puf_wink:
Yes, agreed - that was a stupid decision (And I liked the old logo way better! :essentials: )

Still, it makes me wonder what was the ...reasoning behind it?

In general, if something is called "...Studios" then it suggests it's a platform that is a home to different creative endeavors, like a film studio, music production studio, art studio. At some point they even showed a proper studio they created for live artist performance, although it hasn't been used very actively (maybe because of COVID?). I was hoping maybe they'd act as a music label for Reason creators?

I hope 2024 will reveal where they're going :?
Music tech enthusiast.

crimsonwarlock

19 Feb 2024

joeyluck wrote:
19 Feb 2024
Story behind the name change:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/whats-name/
That story says basically they didn't like to be referred to by the name of their product instead of the company name, and they didn't think about marketing implications (like, at all). No mention of the new name being better for branding and visibility. No, it is just "we didn't like the old name anymore". That story makes it seem even more stupid :lol:

Also, Reason is just about the worst product name since the advent of search engines. They better had kept the company name and renamed the software to Propellerhead Studio (like the Fruity Loops guys did).

And what is the idea behind calling your software Reason. My guess is that they wanted to build on the Rebirth name, so after Re-birth we get a Re-son... Reason. Seems like something Swedish people would come up with. If that is the idea behind the name, it tells you everything about their marketing competence, or lack thereof.

Native Instruments made almost the same mistake after the merger with PA and Izotope. Just in time they recognized the marketing value of an established name and kept the NI branding.

And still, I think Reason is the only DAW that deserves to be called a "virtual music studio" :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

antic604

19 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Feb 2024
And what is the idea behind calling your software Reason...
Perhaps as a counterpoint to ...Logic? :?
Music tech enthusiast.

crimsonwarlock

19 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
19 Feb 2024
Perhaps as a counterpoint to ...Logic? :?
Nah, I stick with it being a Swenglish (Swedish-English) thing, it is to obvious after Re-birth :puf_bigsmile:
-------

• Information