notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dakta

09 Feb 2024

I mean the written notes kind,

its unsual for me to be able to think of anything I need that I can't already do (even with a bit of work) but is there any way to take notes in reason?

I'm recording a little bit of guitar and I am doing strumming backing with one audio channel with a lead with the same guitar but with the settings adjusted to make it cut through a bit.

Now I could maybe do this at the amp for each channel, but does reason have any way, apart from writing in the channel title to take notes so you can come back and pick things up without having to remember?

bit of a noob q I'm afraid but it might be a good add.

Adabler
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2024

Check out the free TMA Commentator REs from JP: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... ry%20Sound
:reason: 12, Win10

DaveyG

09 Feb 2024

There is also a "Song Information" dialog in the File menu. The Info box has a limited capacity but is OK for brief notes.

Or you can use the excellent and free VSTNotepad ( https://codefn42.com/vstnotepad/index.html ). Anything you type in it persist when you save and load the project. I used to use it for lyrics. These days I use Reason as a plugin so I use the lyrics track in Studio One and/or the various song and track note dialogs available there.

dakta

09 Feb 2024

ooh thats a good shout thats what im looking for

dont laugh i just sometimes find if i do a fairly long length of improv, it's hard without notes to come back to it or even know what you were playing at the time (and the settings)

cheers!

DaveyG

09 Feb 2024

dakta wrote:
09 Feb 2024
ooh thats a good shout thats what im looking for

dont laugh i just sometimes find if i do a fairly long length of improv, it's hard without notes to come back to it or even know what you were playing at the time (and the settings)

cheers!
I'm not laughing. I used to have two instances of VSTNotepad in most of my Reason projects. One for lyrics and the other for a sprawling mess of unorganised notes which could be for anything from alternative lyric ideas, alternative arrangements, chord progressions, external instrument and fx settings. Studio One gives me a notes tab for global song info plus a tab for every track, mixer channel, audio input and audio output. The lyrics and chords have their own tracks but I still mostly just stick everything else in an unorganised mess on the global tab! And despite all that you'll still find me writing stuff in a plain text file in the song folder.

It would be nice if RS could look outside their little bubble sometimes and maybe implement some of this stuff in Reason - Chord and Lyric tracks in particular. They've already made a chord track in Chord Sequencer so they know how to do it! And they've already got a Song Info dialog. They just need to add a few more tabs to that, increase the capacity to something huge and allow you to keep it open when working in the main Reason window. They could even make it dockable if they wanted to get all fancy about it.

Bes
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2024

maybe the tutorial window that pulls in from the right edge could have an extra purpose. i would love a better note taking in reason
- Certified Reason expert

DaveyG

09 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
09 Feb 2024
maybe the tutorial window that pulls in from the right edge could have an extra purpose.
That's a great idea. :thumbup:

dakta

11 Feb 2024

That is a fab idea to be honest! Let's just have a notepad, nothing fancy just a rich text editor basic fontage :)

ChulaCoola

15 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
09 Feb 2024
maybe the tutorial window that pulls in from the right edge could have an extra purpose. i would love a better note taking in reason
Yes, that is an excellent idea. Though I like the idea of notes in the Sequencer, on instruments as well. And I suppose the mixer as well.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

• Information