Strange error when exporting files in AIFF vs. MP3

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jklok

03 Feb 2024

I'm not on the latest update, but I'm using Reason 12.5 and encountered a strange error.

When I export the file to MP3 format, a note is missing from an arpeggiated track. This shows up fine in the AIFF export.

Has anyone experienced this before?

deigm

03 Feb 2024

Is it the very first or last note of the sequence?
I don't know the answer but as a workaround you could try to 'bounce in place' the problematic track before exporting.

crimsonwarlock

03 Feb 2024

I seem to remember someone stating that the MP3 conversion needs a small silence at the front of the track. So maybe adding a little space at the front might solve the issue.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

03 Feb 2024

Found this:
An MP3 stream contains info for generating a set of samples where each sample corresponds to a sample in the original LPCM data (like from the WAV file), but a side-effect of encoding is that there is some extra "junk" added to each end, and a side-effect of decoding is that there is even more junk added to the beginning. The decoder will know how much it adds and will skip those samples, but the encoder-added junk isn't entirely predictable (different encoders add different amounts), so the decoder can't skip those samples unless it is somehow informed of what to skip. Some encoders, like LAME, will add such "gapless playback" or "delay and padding" info (in an encoder-specific format, because there's no standard for it) into the file's VBR Info (VBRI) or Xing header, which is sort-of standard even on CBR files, and which contains other info that is sometimes helpful to the player. This header is actually a frame of silence (usually 1152 samples) with some specially formatted info embedded in between the frame's header and the start of its null audio data.
https://superuser.com/questions/400790/ ... ng-in-lame
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jklok

03 Feb 2024

Okay, this is quite interesting because I thought the MP3 export was just a live conversion of an AIFF export. This happened towards the end of the song on a track with a modified 'Cloud Seeds' patch where I replaced the Malstrom units with an Expanse.

Just wanted to tell everyone about it. Cheers

crimsonwarlock

04 Feb 2024

jklok wrote:
03 Feb 2024
This happened towards the end of the song...
I always have a small silence at the beginning AND the end of the track. At the beginning, you can simply insert enough space before the music starts. And the end-marker in Reason is there for only this one application (as it does nothing else) to have a silent part at the end of your track.
-------

• Information