Triggering an Snap Heap LFO from Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sp0002

29 Jan 2024

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help, as I'm stumped. I use Kilohearts' suite in Reason. I often have LFOs set up, but I can find no way to trigger the LFO via MIDI. For example, it would be useful to trigger the LFO start when playback starts.

The LFO in the KH suite can have its trigger automated from a specific note on, so if MIDI could be fed into the KH VST then I could add a Note On at the beginning of the track (C0 or something) to start the LFO. Is this a limitation of Reason's MIDI functionality?

Thanks,
Simon.

Loque

29 Jan 2024

Try it in a Combinator. Maybe use Velocity if there is no "Key On" as a modulation source.
Reason12, Win10

FGL

29 Jan 2024

Intresting, I want to check this but I dont see such a thing like "Kilohearts LFO" in the shop. And if it comes to LFO, why not using one of the other six Trillion LFOs?

Okay I see it now, this is a VST Question.

sp0002

29 Jan 2024

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't messed with velocity specifically, but KH does have an audio follower, and that works (basically triggers the LFO when the audio hits a certain threshold), but the problem with that is when the audio hits that level the next time the LFO retriggers.

Kilohearts have a VST effect suite and a synth (PhasePlant), they're fantastic and have very fine level control. SnapHeap is their effects wrapper where you can dump all the different effects in to different channels etc, then you have a separate area for modulation - which can be fed to pretty much any parameter.

As to other LFOs, I have used Little LFO, which is great - and can be triggered in the manner I'd like, but keeping within the KH ecosystem for the effects is important for me as it gives a lot of flexibility.

FGL

29 Jan 2024

Seems basically like an on/of Problem mostly this can be solved with another on/of event in between. (triggers the LFO (of!) when the audio hits a certain ( - ) threshold)

Loque

29 Jan 2024

Its even much easier then using a Combinator. You can do it inside Snapheap.
snapheaplfotrigger.jpg
snapheaplfotrigger.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Reason12, Win10

FGL

29 Jan 2024

That is way easier

sp0002

30 Jan 2024

Thanks for that - I've tried the 'never trigger from note on' but that just lets it cycle on it's own regardless of what, if anything, is playing. The 'always' trigger works, but of course refires for every note. I need something like a 'trigger once' option. Or, to be able to send specific note data to SnapHeap. SnapHeap allows the trigger to be fired by using the Note module (or CC), but the specific note data doesn't seem to come through. Does Reason not send all the MIDI to the VSTs?

rmtcvolte

30 Jan 2024

sp0002 wrote:
30 Jan 2024
Thanks for that - I've tried the 'never trigger from note on' but that just lets it cycle on it's own regardless of what, if anything, is playing. The 'always' trigger works, but of course refires for every note. I need something like a 'trigger once' option. Or, to be able to send specific note data to SnapHeap. SnapHeap allows the trigger to be fired by using the Note module (or CC), but the specific note data doesn't seem to come through. Does Reason not send all the MIDI to the VSTs?
Thank you for remind me SnapHeap exists, I totaly forgot this. As the SnapHeap is a FX device (VST) and not an instrument (VSTi) you cant record note clips into the sequencer lane, but you can trigger it from midi note input. To make the trigger recordable you have to start with combine it and load something like "One-Note stand by Deadman audio devices" (free in ReasonShop) and connect its output to the gate input of the combinator. One-Note stand is listed in utilities and you can record notes. Another way could be to use a matrix or other stepsequencer devices with patterns, trigger it from there and automate a pattern change to an empty one while the song goes on.

sp0002

31 Jan 2024

That worked - thank you. Or at least something along those lines.

One-Note Stand Note Out to CV1 on Combinator. CV1 mapped to Snap Heap Macro 1. Macro 1 mapped to LFO trigger. Works like a charm (excepts it's pretty horrid that the on/off signal is going to a knob).

Also easy enough to get working with something like Thor: map Key Gate to CV1 out and you have the same thing.

Thanks for your help.

rmtcvolte wrote:
30 Jan 2024
Thank you for remind me SnapHeap exists, I totaly forgot this. As the SnapHeap is a FX device (VST) and not an instrument (VSTi) you cant record note clips into the sequencer lane, but you can trigger it from midi note input. To make the trigger recordable you have to start with combine it and load something like "One-Note stand by Deadman audio devices" (free in ReasonShop) and connect its output to the gate input of the combinator. One-Note stand is listed in utilities and you can record notes. Another way could be to use a matrix or other stepsequencer devices with patterns, trigger it from there and automate a pattern change to an empty one while the song goes on.

rmtcvolte

01 Feb 2024

sp0002 wrote:
31 Jan 2024
That worked - thank you. Or at least something along those lines.

One-Note Stand Note Out to CV1 on Combinator. CV1 mapped to Snap Heap Macro 1. Macro 1 mapped to LFO trigger. Works like a charm (excepts it's pretty horrid that the on/off signal is going to a knob).

Also easy enough to get working with something like Thor: map Key Gate to CV1 out and you have the same thing.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, but I was a little bit off the other day. You dont need any additional devices as the combinator itself is enough. I dont know why you use a CV connection, loosing a Macro knob for that kind of stuff is weird. Please feel free to try the simple Combinator I put together, a Subtractor playable in the range of C3 and up and B2 as the trigger for the Snap Heap LFO modulating a filter only once per trigger. You can of course change the range of both in combinators editor.
simpleSnap.zip
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

• Information