How to create Unison effect in Thor using analog oscillators

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mohammadyarahmad

27 Jan 2024

jam-s wrote:
27 Jan 2024
Have a look at the combinator programmer: Thor should not receive the midi notes. Also have a look at the oscillator modules of Thor. As you can see I removed those as one would not want to have Thor generate any sound by itself.
You're right. I didn't notice the combinator.
Wow, I am surprised again by the capabilities of Thor.

How does it get that we are multiplying signals(AM)?

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2024

multiplication is scaling and scaling is multiplication
- Certified Reason expert

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2024

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
27 Jan 2024
jam-s wrote:
27 Jan 2024
A simple patch in Thor using the mod matrix to route audio input 1 to audio output 1 scaled by audio input 2 should do the trick to do AM.

In general Thor can do most math operations using the mod matrices.
Could you describe it in more details?
Using the mod matrix. Scale is multiplication, sending two things to the same destination will sum (addition), inverting one signal will subtract (difference). Someone even created the actual formulas written out for each operation in the modulation matrix but I can’t recall the thread (it was a while back).

It’s pretty deep but there are some quirks, such as why LFO 2s output is half what the other synths output for LFOs, pitch modulation in the mod matrix isn’t easy to hit exactly one octave, as is hitting exactly -6dB for levels (falls between 79 and 80) when building things that require it (mono summing for one). I should sit down and write out all the “magic numbers” for Thor, including the workarounds for the above which require using a Rotary and a mod matrix slot for fine tuning those values when important.
Selig Audio, LLC

Mohammadyarahmad

28 Jan 2024

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2024
Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
27 Jan 2024

Using the mod matrix. Scale is multiplication, sending two things to the same destination will sum (addition), inverting one signal will subtract (difference). Someone even created the actual formulas written out for each operation in the modulation matrix but I can’t recall the thread (it was a while back).

It’s pretty deep but there are some quirks, such as why LFO 2s output is half what the other synths output for LFOs, pitch modulation in the mod matrix isn’t easy to hit exactly one octave, as is hitting exactly -6dB for levels (falls between 79 and 80) when building things that require it (mono summing for one). I should sit down and write out all the “magic numbers” for Thor, including the workarounds for the above which require using a Rotary and a mod matrix slot for fine tuning those values when important.
I should sit down and write out all the “magic numbers” for Thor
Notify me, please

Mohammadyarahmad

23 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2024
Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
27 Jan 2024

inverting one signal will subtract (difference).
Hello,
1. How can we invert a signal?

2. How to divide two signals using Thor(math operation: "/" )?

Many thanks.

Bes
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2024

Amount = 100 (signal)
Amount = 50 (signal divided by 2)
Amount = -100 (signal inverted)
- Certified Reason expert

Mohammadyarahmad

23 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Amount = 100 (signal)
Thank you :thumbs_up:

Mohammadyarahmad

24 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Amount = 100 (signal)
What should we do if we want to divide an oscillator(output signal) from another oscillator (another output signal)?

Is it like multiplication? (and just set all the amounts to 50)

jam-s

24 Feb 2024

Dividing by an oscillator or LFO is not a good idea in general as any oscillator/LFO will periodically hit 0. Thus it's usually multiplication instead.

Mohammadyarahmad

24 Feb 2024

jam-s wrote:
24 Feb 2024
Dividing by an oscillator or LFO is not a good idea in general as any oscillator/LFO will periodically hit 0. Thus it's usually multiplication instead.
So, where is the division's application?

jam-s

24 Feb 2024

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
24 Feb 2024
jam-s wrote:
24 Feb 2024
So, where is the division's application?
Creating noise. Every pass close to 0 will cause clipping and thus distortion so the result will be pretty much just noise.

• Information