Is there a way to get one midi track to send midi data to another?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sengin

17 Jan 2024

I have an instrument that plays different drum hits, and I'd like a specific group of hits to be treated as one. I could write out a chord of 5 notes and copy/paste it whenever I'd like that to play, but that starts looking messy. If instead I could have another midi note treat e.g. a C1 as "C1 D2 G2 A2 C3" I could write simple patterns that end up with complex drum hits a la "kick then snare" where "kick" is a group of different hits on different drums, and "snare" is another group of different hits. Bonus would be the ability to randomly very note timings by X number of ticks, but if it all has to play at the exact same time then I could deal with it.

Players come to mind here, but Chord Sequencer costs money and I don't think it has an unlimited number of notes per chord. Bouncing to track is a half-solution as you wouldn't get access to the different round robins per hit - you'd be locked into one (and only one combination). I can't use Kong because I'm dealing with midi instead of samples (it's a VST in this case I want to control). Anybody have some other ideas? Perhaps a free rack extension or player? Something that can convert CC to midi chords? CV to notes?

I figure I can't be the first person to wonder about this, so I may be missing some terminology here. In that case please let me know!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2024

I think chord sequencer would not toggle different, and i think the chord is always thee same...

The best option for this kind of stuff is Delta Midi computer, it's an amazing solution for the kind of madnes you're persuing. :)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -computer/

Cheers,
MC

Jackjackdaw

18 Jan 2024

Have a combinator with as many instances as you like for each sound you want to play at once

Jackjackdaw

18 Jan 2024

What is the plug-in you are using?

PhillipOrdonez

18 Jan 2024

I think chord line would be a good and simple way to program your notes. Chord sequence also does the job but I’m guessing it is going to be more expensive. I don’t think any free re can do precisely what you want.

mimidancer

18 Jan 2024

I would love to know the plugin you are using.

Sengin

18 Jan 2024

mcatalao wrote:
18 Jan 2024
The best option for this kind of stuff is Delta Midi computer, it's an amazing solution for the kind of madnes you're persuing. :)
Cheers,
MC
Ah, neat! I was hoping for something built-in to MIDI/DAWs, but I suppose it doesn't surprise me that much that I'd need an additional plug in. Thanks for the link!

For those curious, I am using Native Instruments' Spotlight India. One of the kontakt instruments is the full ensemble of drums:
https://imgur.com/a/B7BED84

Each color is a different drum, while each note in that color is a different type of hit on that drum (palm slap, finger tap, rim hit, side hit, etc).

mimidancer

18 Jan 2024

Sengin wrote:
17 Jan 2024
I have an instrument that plays different drum hits, and I'd like a specific group of hits to be treated as one. I could write out a chord of 5 notes and copy/paste it whenever I'd like that to play, but that starts looking messy. If instead I could have another midi note treat e.g. a C1 as "C1 D2 G2 A2 C3" I could write simple patterns that end up with complex drum hits a la "kick then snare" where "kick" is a group of different hits on different drums, and "snare" is another group of different hits. Bonus would be the ability to randomly very note timings by X number of ticks, but if it all has to play at the exact same time then I could deal with it.

Players come to mind here, but Chord Sequencer costs money and I don't think it has an unlimited number of notes per chord. Bouncing to track is a half-solution as you wouldn't get access to the different round robins per hit - you'd be locked into one (and only one combination). I can't use Kong because I'm dealing with midi instead of samples (it's a VST in this case I want to control). Anybody have some other ideas? Perhaps a free rack extension or player? Something that can convert CC to midi chords? CV to notes?

I figure I can't be the first person to wonder about this, so I may be missing some terminology here. In that case please let me know!
You can do this with chord sequencer (no note limit per pad. 1st set up an empty. patch. Next, map the settings to the pads. Then go to preset 2 and do variations. and so on. then in the sequencer set the patch changes as often as you want for variation you can 8 variations per key.

Sengin

20 Jan 2024

Oh man, I just realized that this instrument in kontakt has each of the sub-instruments in their own mix channel. So if I use different hits of the same drum in different "notes" I won't be able to route each to its own instrument. I need to go one level higher... In the general case, I'd need a way to split midi in 2 different ways - each note it receives would represent a chord and different input note ranges would need to go to different devices into their midi input. I can solve the latter (Reason only) with a carefully set up combinator at least, but I don't think a chord sequencer would help me here.

The delta midi computer extension looks like it may work when paired with a combinator to restrict different midi note ranges to different devices. I'd need a midi computer per device. I can't tell from the rack extension page if you can turn one note into many but be unrelated to a chord structure (e.g. not a fifth, not a fourth, etc). Hmmm.... this would get complicated fast, but I could probably send the input to an if switched on the midi note number, with the = case going to a sequencer node (? or hook up several outputs from the if= output) and the else case going into another if on midi note. Then I could use the random velocity offset and a random delay to slightly vary. But I think it would work...

• Information