Gates to notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jackjackdaw

16 Jan 2024

If I have a sequencer such as Propulsion with multiple gate outputs is there a device that converts to user defined midi notes? If I want to have Propulsion control an external midi drum machine that has fixed midi notes defined for example.

Bes
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2024

- Certified Reason expert

Jackjackdaw

16 Jan 2024

Perfect, thanks

huggermugger

16 Jan 2024

Didn't know about this one. Nice!

Bes
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2024

fyi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_row
Screenshot 2024-01-17 104848.png
Screenshot 2024-01-17 104848.png (56.36 KiB) Viewed 8674 times
- Certified Reason expert

crimsonwarlock

17 Jan 2024

Also this one https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/trigate/

It does a lot more than tonerows, especially turning trigger signsls into gate signals.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dmitrijsorokin

17 Jan 2024

CV Player Tap converts Propulsion gates to midi.

Jackjackdaw

17 Jan 2024

dmitrijsorokin wrote:
17 Jan 2024
Does it let you assign the midi notes it outputs though?

rmtcvolte

17 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
17 Jan 2024
dmitrijsorokin wrote:
17 Jan 2024
Yes, if you connect the cv1 (or other static cv value) from propulsion (or other source) to "note" on CVPT.

dmitrijsorokin

17 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
17 Jan 2024
dmitrijsorokin wrote:
17 Jan 2024
If 16 notes are not enough for you, use transpose. CV Player Tap is a pretty old device, so I thought it was pretty obvious to use.

Jackjackdaw

17 Jan 2024

I mean the gate has to trigger a specific note. The external drum machine has fixed notes for each sound , I need to assign those specific notes

dmitrijsorokin

17 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
17 Jan 2024
I mean the gate has to trigger a specific note. The external drum machine has fixed notes for each sound , I need to assign those specific notes
You have 16 notes. If the note you want is outside this range, use AB Transpose or something similar.

selig
RE Developer

17 Jan 2024

dmitrijsorokin wrote:
17 Jan 2024
Jackjackdaw wrote:
17 Jan 2024
You have 16 notes. If the note you want is outside this range, use AB Transpose or something similar.
you would need a “Transpose” for each individual note, right?
The suggestion above for ToneRows sounds perfect for this application, although the name made me think it was designed to do traditional tone row composition.
Maybe the name was an attempt to use a familiar term, or maybe they didn’t know about Tone Rows - or maybe I don’t know enough about the product! Either way, sounds like the best “one device” solution to the problem. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

dmitrijsorokin

17 Jan 2024

selig wrote:
17 Jan 2024
Not necessary. What kind of drum machine is this with such a range of notes across octaves?

PhillipOrdonez

17 Jan 2024

Tone rows! I knew that device would come in handy one day

dmitrijsorokin

17 Jan 2024

rmtcvolte wrote:
17 Jan 2024
Jackjackdaw wrote:
17 Jan 2024

Yes, if you connect the cv1 (or other static cv value) from propulsion (or other source) to "note" on CVPT.
Connect 16 gate outputs from Propulsion to CVPT. Then get 16 cv+gate, starting from the note C1 36.

Yes, you can also correct notes using cv8x4-cv-generator

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 1.39.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 1.39.19 PM.png (308.98 KiB) Viewed 8376 times
Last edited by dmitrijsorokin on 17 Jan 2024, edited 5 times in total.

crimsonwarlock

17 Jan 2024

Not all drum sequencers output gate signals. In some cases, it is a trigger signal instead of a regular gate signal. I ran into that problem when I tried sequencing Algoritm with BeatMap. The trigger signals are too short to use with synths. That's when I found Trigater in the shop, as it is designed specifically to solve that problem. Because of this, it can not only set notes for incoming triggers, but also set individual gate-times for each note that it triggers. Additionally, it can set a specific velocity for each note.

I looked at the manual for ToneRows, but it doesn't seem to have options for gate-lengths or velocity. My guess is: It only works with gate signals and not with triggers.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Jackjackdaw

17 Jan 2024

dmitrijsorokin wrote:
17 Jan 2024
selig wrote:
17 Jan 2024
Not necessary. What kind of drum machine is this with such a range of notes across octaves?
The drum machine’s midi map is not chromatic. The notes it needs to receive are all over the place so need to be defined .

selig
RE Developer

17 Jan 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Jan 2024
Not all drum sequencers output gate signals. In some cases, it is a trigger signal instead of a regular gate signal. I ran into that problem when I tried sequencing Algoritm with BeatMap. The trigger signals are too short to use with synths. That's when I found Trigater in the shop, as it is designed specifically to solve that problem. Because of this, it can not only set notes for incoming triggers, but also set individual gate-times for each note that it triggers. Additionally, it can set a specific velocity for each note.

I looked at the manual for ToneRows, but it doesn't seem to have options for gate-lengths or velocity. My guess is: It only works with gate signals and not with triggers.
Will AutoLatch work for the trig vs gate issue, or no?
What about going full Delta, or maybe that's overkill for this job…
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

17 Jan 2024

selig wrote:
17 Jan 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Jan 2024

Will AutoLatch work for the trig vs gate issue, or no?
What about going full Delta, or maybe that's overkill for this job…
Perhaps AutoLatch can help, I don't know. I picked AutoLatch up during the last BF-sale, just because everyone seems to be raving about it, and it also seems to partner-up nicely with Delta, which I also picked up finally (was on my wishlist for quite a while). I bought Trigater to solve the problem I mentioned before, while I was building my glitch-track generator combi2. That combinator is in the combinator2 sub-forum and I remember someone (possibly mod joey) tried to replace Trigater with AutoLatch and I think that worked. But Trigater has been a very useful utility for me for using drum-sequencers (like BeatMap) as note sequencer, as it combines all the necessities for that in one nice RE.

I'm pretty sure Delta is an option as well, but as everyone points out that Delta is missing the AutoLatch features, you'll probably need them both to get it working for triggers.

Just handy to know that Trigater goes on sale often during sale-events, and then goes for a tenner :puf_wink:

EDIT: for who is interested, the combinator is here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7526546

... and it was challism who used Delta and AutoLatch as a successful alternative :thumbup: (also discussed in that topic).
-------

huggermugger

17 Jan 2024

AutoLatch is brilliant for converting triggers into gates, and otherwise modifying gate lengths. I use it often to 'humanize' the output from Players whose gate lengths are static.

And as CrimsonWarlock points out, the features of AutoLatch are absent from Delta. Delta offers no control over gate times.

rmtcvolte

18 Jan 2024

dmitrijsorokin wrote:
17 Jan 2024

Connect 16 gate outputs from Propulsion to CVPT. Then get 16 cv+gate, starting from the note C1 36.
Thank´s, did not know CVPT transmits default values, never tried it without connecting gate and note as a pair.

• Information