Channeling elements

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RTFX

05 Jan 2024

Hey guys,
How can i route the elements of a drum loop (k/s/hats) on an audio channel to separate audiochannels?
Why? For example to put a phaser on only the hats and not the kick and snare.
I dont want to turn the audiofile to midi so i can use it in rex.
Is there another way besides bouncing the slices to a wav and load it in kong?
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2024

RTFX wrote:
05 Jan 2024
Hey guys,
How can i route the elements of a drum loop (k/s/hats) on an audio channel to separate audiochannels?
Why? For example to put a phaser on only the hats and not the kick and snare.
I dont want to turn the audiofile to midi so i can use it in rex.
Is there another way besides bouncing the slices to a wav and load it in kong?
If you want to stay audio, just cut the parts out to separate tracks (on one copy of the loop, then duplicate). With any solution you won’t get separation when kick/hat or snare/hat play together, short of using AI to separate the elements.
Selig Audio, LLC

deeplink
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2024

As per Selig above.

Otherwise you can isolate the frequencies using BV12's FFT EQ, with a split of the original and the corresponding freq EQd out- again using BV12. You'll need delay compensation on for this to work.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2024

You can do this fairly quickly as well, using Slice Edit mode and Split at Slices.
To take it further:
Kick will have some hits with high hats. You can paste in a kick without hats if there is one in the pattern. You can also try a little EQ to soften the high hat. Or go extreme and filter all the high frequencies out of the kick and add a 'top end' (clicky sounding) same to the kick.
Snare will also have some hat, maybe even some kick. Filter below 200Hz or so to reduce the kick if present (you don't need to 100% remove it), and as with the kick if here is a snare by itself you can paste it where needed.
High Hat will often be played at the same time as kick and snare, so you may not end up with many actual high hat clips when separating things out on a drum loop. But if there are you can copy/paste them into the "holes" as the final stage to the edits on the kick and snare.

Once you have the individual clips for each "drum" on it's own track, you can fix things up a bit by adjusting the timing of the clips (quantize if necessary), and by laying/blending samples on top of the loop as a way to further fine tune things. Basically using the samples to fill any gaps and smooth over any bumps with the process of separating out a loop. Additionally, you can adjust the length and fade out of each clip if you need to clean things up further.

Your success rate will greatly depend on the type of loop you're working with in my experience, but that's never stopped me from trying!
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

05 Jan 2024

If it’s only affecting hihats I’d go the multiband processing route where you can put the phaser on only the high frequencies. You can do that with the stereo imager or I believe there’s a free band splitter in the shop.

selig’s method works great as well but you run into some problems if the kick and hihat hit at the same time. This does depend on the the pitch of the hihat however which can share similar frequencies with the snare.

crimsonwarlock

05 Jan 2024

QVprod wrote:
05 Jan 2024
I believe there’s a free band splitter in the shop.
There was one, I use it all the time, but it is no longer available in the shop. There's one non-free available, Yoko Band-Splitter.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

freshkidblaze

05 Jan 2024

Turn2On's "Sabotage" is a band splitter too.

QVprod

05 Jan 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jan 2024
QVprod wrote:
05 Jan 2024
I believe there’s a free band splitter in the shop.
There was one, I use it all the time, but it is no longer available in the shop. There's one non-free available, Yoko Band-Splitter.
Ah ok. That’s a bummer. Stereo imager with spiders it is then.

RTFX

06 Jan 2024

Thnx for your feedback.
You guys pushed me in the right direction!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

• Information