Start/Stop with sustain pedal

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jackjackdaw

02 Jan 2024

I want a foot switch to be able to start and stop the main sequencer. The only hardware I have is a Roland sustain pedal switch thingy attached to my midi controller. I can remote override the play button but it only plays , doesn’t stop. Can anyone think of a work around?

joeyluck

02 Jan 2024

You might be able to use a MIDI Out Device in a Combi to assign min/max values to stop and play, although that would mean you would need to hold it.

Maybe you can use other software to have the pedal trigger the space bar? So then with each press it would behave like the space bar, both playing and stopping.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
02 Jan 2024
I want a foot switch to be able to start and stop the main sequencer. The only hardware I have is a Roland sustain pedal switch thingy attached to my midi controller. I can remote override the play button but it only plays , doesn’t stop. Can anyone think of a work around?
Is it latching?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

wereMole88

02 Jan 2024

I'd always recommend bome midi translator for this.

Perhaps as as someone said use an external MIDI instrument in reason. Like: sustain -> triggers play AND ext MIDI instrument -> ext MIDI instrument (set cc to whatever triggers the STOP button) and then -> via MIDI loopback back to -> reason (stop button).

Not sure if MIDI instrument can respond to value 0 of the sustain pedal out of the box. Probably need a combinator in between.

Jackjackdaw

02 Jan 2024

Solved. I found this app , https://midikey2key.de/#

Lets you convert midi events to keystrokes. My pedal is momentary but you can set the app to require a second press for the note off value. Now It runs in the background and allows me to start and stop reason with the sustain pedal.

Jackjackdaw

02 Jan 2024

Spoke too soon! When the app is active it hogs the MIDI controller completely, so can’t use the keyboard! Might not be a problem for me actually, but not ideal for sure, maybe I can check the settings

WarStar

03 Jan 2024

You can get a USB footswitch and configure it to press spacebar.. I was going to do the same as You bit never got around to doing it lol

• Information