transients/cuts to grid

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WeLoveYouToo

29 Dec 2023

hey all.
so i am working with live instrument audio and am doing alot of cutting and rearranging.
one common task i engage in is cutting audio at transients and lining it up with the grid.

i know that inside a clip, we can nudge the transient left or right to automatically snap to the grid, but i need to be able to move audio without any timestretch and align it to the grid.

in protools (been years since i used it) i think this was called tab to transient and then shuffle or slip mode to align the clips.
in reason however i can't figure out how to do this without stretching inside the clip, or quantisizing audio, neither of which actually moves the start of a clip to grid.

the workaround i use now is to cut it at the transient (or wherever i deem to be the downbeat) and turning snap off, dragging it ALL the way to the 0:00:00 timeframe, then turning ON snap, and dragging it to where i need in the song.

does anyone know a better/faster method?

PhillipOrdonez

30 Dec 2023

Yeah split at slices is your friend.

WeLoveYouToo

30 Dec 2023

omg it's so obvious...
hold shift shift dragging a clip.
that auto-snaps the beginning of the clip to the grid.
don't know why that took me so long to figure out.

WeLoveYouToo

26 Jan 2024

actually...
that doesn't work so simply.
i forgot about the absolute/relative toggle underneath the drop-down menu for the note snap scale.
"absolute" will auto drag a clip to the nearest beat the snap is set to.

just in case anyone else couldn't figure this out.

• Information