How to replicate Figure in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kikijay

19 Dec 2023

What Reason Synth and REs do I need to fully replicate Figure? And if there are standalone REs already built to easily do it, kindly show me. I'm talking about any that isn't using an MPE, but instead has an invite keyboard like Figure.

If there is none equity am init keyboard like Figure, still show me how to do it.

Thanks.

joeyluck

19 Dec 2023

You might find this very familiar to Figure:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... h-surface/

This needs to be connected via gate and note CV, which it will do automatically if you drop it below an instrument in the rack.

I'm hoping they one day make a player device version of this.

As far as sounds, Figure uses two Thor synth engines for bass and lead. The drums are based on the NN-Nano sampler of Kong.

EnochLight

19 Dec 2023

Kikijay wrote:
19 Dec 2023
What Reason Synth and REs do I need to fully replicate Figure?

Thanks.
Everything in Figure was just stock Reason devices. The drums were using Kong samples and the synths were using Thor bass and lead presets. So, you already have all the devices you need to replicate Figure (well, aside from the touch interface). That RE that Joey linked to will help, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
19 Dec 2023

This needs to be connected via gate and note CV, which it will do automatically if you drop it below an instrument in the rack.

As far as sounds, Figure uses two Thor synth engines for bass and lead. The drums are based on the NN-Nano sampler of Kong.
Or this?…
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/cv-pad/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

19 Dec 2023

MrFigg wrote:
19 Dec 2023
joeyluck wrote:
19 Dec 2023

Or this?…
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/cv-pad/
Does that do notes? Slide Pitch Surface has an interface very similar to Figure. You can define the key/scale, pattern, pitch density (scale steps), and also has X/Y position output.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
19 Dec 2023
Does that do notes? Slide Pitch Surface has an interface very similar to Figure. You can define the key/scale, pattern, pitch density (scale steps), and also has X/Y position output.
Not actually sure but I guess if you connect one of the cv outs to note in then it’d work. Scales and chords on there too maybe?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2023

cv pad does not do notes but for example the Y out could be routed to a tinker with the f select((cvpadYin),(note1),(note2),(etc))
- Certified Reason expert

joeyluck

19 Dec 2023

Yeah I think in the end if someone is trying to replicate Figure, aside from outputting note or translating to note, have the bars for notes on the display is very helpful and more like Figure.
If I were using Slide Pitch Surface, I would have the gate and note connect as usual, and probably connect the Y out to Cutoff or Mod wheel.

Bes
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2023

was note repeat perhaps a player version of slider

different display though
- Certified Reason expert

joeyluck

19 Dec 2023

Bes wrote:
19 Dec 2023
was note repeat perhaps a player version of slider

different display though
Yeah it's a little bit different, since it's more focused on repeats of a particular note, rather than a playable scale. So X axis is for rate and Y axis is for velocity. You can then enable incoming MIDI to set the note that is being repeated, but not the same as triggering a scale of notes across the display.

EnochLight

19 Dec 2023

And yet, the OP be like...

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

19 Dec 2023

EnochLight wrote:
19 Dec 2023

I mean it was only posted this morning :)
It's a fun topic! I don't have Slide Pitch Surface, as I had been waiting for a player version, but now I might get it while it's on sale :D

PhillipOrdonez

19 Dec 2023

There’s no way to open up figure projects in reason, or is there? I got it recently for the first time and us so cool but not very usable if it does not lead to a full song. If it could be opened within reason it would be a killer song-starter.

joeyluck

19 Dec 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Dec 2023
There’s no way to open up figure projects in reason, or is there? I got it recently for the first time and us so cool but not very usable if it does not lead to a full song. If it could be opened within reason it would be a killer song-starter.
No, unfortunately you can't.

I still think that Figure is one of the best mobile music making apps out there. It's designed so well for the platform.

I always thought that building out Figure to include more engines and have Reason file export would be really great. Maybe better than trying to create an app like Reason Compact that fits an area between a very accessible app like Figure and a full DAW like Reason. So they could keep the same inviting interface of Figure, include more engines, maybe some under the hood features (but not many), maybe RE engine compatibility... But the biggest point would be starting an idea in Figure and continuing it in Reason on desktop.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Dec 2023

Agreed. It would be incredible.

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2023

I randomly booted up figure again last week and thought once again how fun it would be to have a player device in reason that worked like it in terms of putting in and messing with patterns. The way you can just immediately drag the pattern generator for hi-hat for example, and create odd divisions is really fun.

I don't know much about 3rd party midi devices so maybe it's already been replicated - but it seems like a no-brainer for Props to do it.

joeyluck

20 Dec 2023

Steedus wrote:
20 Dec 2023
I randomly booted up figure again last week and thought once again how fun it would be to have a player device in reason that worked like it in terms of putting in and messing with patterns. The way you can just immediately drag the pattern generator for hi-hat for example, and create odd divisions is really fun.

I don't know much about 3rd party midi devices so maybe it's already been replicated - but it seems like a no-brainer for Props to do it.
For drums, I guess Beat Map gets pretty close to the experience? For individual drum/cymbal control, you would need to have one instance per drum instrument, or you could lock the XY for all drums you don't want to affect.

That or the NoteRepeat player by Retouch Control mentioned above would work well from drums.

DaveyG

20 Dec 2023

As is so often the case with Propellerhead/RS I'm wondering why they haven't made more of stuff like Figure.
It seems obvious to have a method to transfer Figure projects into Reason, even if it is just as audio loops.
It also seems obvious to offer more sounds in Figure as in-app purchases (and price them sensibly, unlike those in Reason Compact...).

The other approach would be the way Image Line do it. They have a version of the FL Studio Mobile app that runs as a plugin in desktop FL Studio. So you can load your whole mobile project into the plugin and continue working on it or add other tracks alongside it. So you could have an RE or a built-in Figure instrument in Reason. Of course, it won't happen but RS do need to start looking towards the mobile generation a bit more.

Aosta

20 Dec 2023

I will open up Figure on ipad now and again and record a live mess about session and import it into reason to chop up and edit, it would be great to have that access within Reason with a touch screen.
Tend the flame

EnochLight

21 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
19 Dec 2023
EnochLight wrote:
19 Dec 2023

I mean it was only posted this morning :)
Meanwhile, days later and the OP hasn't been back since they made the post. ;) Wonder if we've been botted?

Mataya

12 Mar 2024

When I discovered that Note Repeat doesn't have cv in for XY, I almost jumped from my window. I looked on the back, but didn't pay attention, like of course it has. Nope.

M

• Information