Volume Bug with Umpf Retro/DS/Blocks/Seq Mode

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Chi-Individual

01 Dec 2023

I was just messing around with Umpf Retro and Drum Seq player and happened to switch the sequencer into Blocks mode while the pattern was playing in DS and I noticed a very weird volume change in the mix of the drums switching back and forth. Hits 4 and 7 sound at the same time but are offset a bit, hit 7 is +4 steps. When I switch from Seq Mode to Blocks Mode I can hear one of the hits get quieter and almost buried but comes back when I go back to Seq Mode.

Can someone test this out and let me know if I'm going crazy?
Attachments
Umpf DS Volume Bug.jpg
Umpf DS Volume Bug.jpg (954.51 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

honeyBadger

01 Dec 2023

I tried to reproduce the pattern as closely as possible based on your screenshot and couldn't detect any volume change when switching between blocks and sequencer mode. I'll add that I'm on windows and not macOS. Could you share the reason file?

Also, based on your screenshot hit 7 is -2, but 6 is +4, did you mean hit 6 is having volume fluctuations?

honeyBadger

01 Dec 2023

I did see that drum 7 has LFO 1 mapped to the volume and LFO 2 to pan, so that might account for the variation you're hearing? It sounds like the sequencer restarts when switching back and forth so the LFO resets?
umpf_lfos.png
umpf_lfos.png (65.12 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Chi-Individual

01 Dec 2023

honeyBadger wrote:
01 Dec 2023
I tried to reproduce the pattern as closely as possible based on your screenshot and couldn't detect any volume change when switching between blocks and sequencer mode. I'll add that I'm on windows and not macOS. Could you share the reason file?

Also, based on your screenshot hit 7 is -2, but 6 is +4, did you mean hit 6 is having volume fluctuations?
Sorry yes I should’ve said -2. Thank you for catching that. My eyes aren’t what they used to be and I’m on a 14inch MBP. Maybe it’s time to increase the screen size :lol:

honeyBadger wrote:
01 Dec 2023
I did see that drum 7 has LFO 1 mapped to the volume and LFO 2 to pan, so that might account for the variation you're hearing? It sounds like the sequencer restarts when switching back and forth so the LFO resets?

umpf_lfos.png
I hadn’t noticed that. But that sounds like a reasonable explanation. Switching between the two may reset the LFO. I’ll have to watch for that now.

• Information