Assuming there's going be one, what you think is coming in Reason 13?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

02 Dec 2023

antic604 wrote:
02 Dec 2023
kitekrazy wrote:
02 Dec 2023

1. Never really liked the idea of developers posting a roadmap. It's often delayed promises.
1. I never said anything about roadmap.
You open the topic by mentioning it at the top of the first sentence of the first post lol
antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Yeah, I know there's no roadmap...
I think kitekrazy is just commenting with thoughts in general about having a roadmap since the lack of a roadmap was mentioned :)

luckygreen

03 Dec 2023

antic604 wrote:
02 Dec 2023
3. No idea what you mean? FL 21.2, S1 6.5 or Live 12 are all pretty substantial and add stuff people were asking for.
Agreed. Live 12 looks to be a massive upgrade.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

Neo

03 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
02 Dec 2023
Neo wrote:
02 Dec 2023
I still have a copy of Cubase for my 1040 STe :thumbs_up:

Ahh the good old days. :thumbup:
There are things my first sequencer in 1986 (Total Music/MIDI Paint) could do that Reason still can’t do, from auto punch to individual track looping to event selection (“select every x of y” was super handy), to a MIDI list view, and probably more I can’t remember…
!indeed.. Dr Ts was technically my 1st.. If anyone is old enough to remember lol.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

kitekrazy

03 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
02 Dec 2023
antic604 wrote:
02 Dec 2023

1. I never said anything about roadmap.
You open the topic by mentioning it at the top of the first sentence of the first post lol
antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Yeah, I know there's no roadmap...
I think kitekrazy is just commenting with thoughts in general about having a roadmap since the lack of a roadmap was mentioned :)
Why? Was there something wrong about that? My experiences I speak from are from having other software. I been around when a given release date took 2 months longer. I feel like I opened Pandora's box because of I used the word roadmap. Since you are a mod you could ban the word and suspend those who said "roadmap".

Lack luster upgrades are not just from DAWs but software. See Waves WUP. Rare does Magix who has former Sony products ever have a "I gotta have this" upgrade. Finale use to have upgrades every year. Cakewalk was doing that but also bribing you with 3rd party stuff. Then there's NI and Izotope.

joeyluck

03 Dec 2023

kitekrazy wrote:
03 Dec 2023
joeyluck wrote:
02 Dec 2023

Why? Was there something wrong about that? My experiences I speak from are from having other software. I been around when a given release date took 2 months longer. I feel like I opened Pandora's box because of I used the word roadmap. Since you are a mod you could ban the word and suspend those who said "roadmap".
Lol what?

antic604 replied to you to say, "I never said anything about roadmap." I pointed out that he brought it up in the first sentence of this thread. That's all. Carry on :)

cocoazenith

03 Dec 2023

OFC an instrument/effect/player included for free.

Haven't seen this prediction in the thread but I think they might update the mixer or at least the current EQ pop-up window.

Also we'll get some minor quality of life improvements to the sequencer and maybe some UI changes it.

I'm really hoping some UI/UX improvements to everything but I'm not holding my breath for it. Maybe they'll update the look of the transport bar :lol:

deigm

03 Dec 2023

It's hard to imagine where Reasonstudios will go from here. Maybe they'll revisit some of the things that were mentioned on previous roadmaps but were then de-prioritiesed, like the smart browser.

Sequencer enhancements were listed as 'under investigation' on the very first road map, but then never mentioned again. Is it still on their radar? Who knows.

I think new devices are a given, but whether or not they are included as stock devices will depend on if the rest of the update is substantial enough to speak for itself, or if it needs padding. If we were placing bets, I'd say it will probably be the latter.

djsmex

03 Dec 2023

Well I hope it to include screen reader support, it's possible, other DAWs are now doing it.

ChulaCoola

03 Dec 2023

To inject a little humor into this:

I think the next thing coming is the Star Trek bridge console as an RE. A full 8' wide, optional 32' wide. They will team up with Nektar for an equally audacious MIDI control board called, what else- Audacious.

We all know those Star Trek consoles are run by goo-goo light circuits. Might as well make em real! They will use oscillators teamed up with a boatload of sequencers, pretty-light arpeggiators, and beeping-chirping (also known as "beerping") sound circuits.

My other prediction is they will eventually team up with some synthesizer manufacture to start making the entire Reason Studios software set as hardware. Subtractor anyone? Europa anyone? Since many soft synth software is in emulation of historical hardware, obviously it has to go the opposite direction with Reason.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

antic604

04 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
02 Dec 2023
But not in a sense that I'm complaining it's not there or demanding it!

I mentioned it to set up the ground rules for what I'm asking for, i.e. a list of features people think RS will implement in v13, despite there not being a roadmap to go off of. Like "I know there's no roadmap, but what would you think would be on it, if RE published it". I don't care about roadmap at this point :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

animalbobb

11 Dec 2023

I don't see what else is realistically left after the big ticket items of VST rack, HD makeover, VST3 and Apple Silicon are now done, and they have all of the FX and instruments covered by now too (whether paid or with built in devices)

SynthGang

14 Dec 2023

I personally am really not enthusiastic about a version 13 at all - I still think version 12 users deserve some long-needed QoL improvements and other DAW-centric improvements before I can feel like I've been given good value for my money.

While Reason 12 obviously did bring lots to write home about (I love what they did with the Combinator, and Mimic although I've personally barely touched it), I can't help but continue to feel underwhelmed by what I was given for upgrading from 11. In many respects it did more for non-Reason users than users who wish to continue to want to use it as an actual production environment.

For more "serious" audio editing functionality I've switched over to Pro Tools, but I still think nothing beats Reason for ease of use, stability, sound design, and sheer fun and joy of tinkering, etc.

But if I had to pick one thing for version 13, I'd love to see the implementation of being able to load video. I would literally do a backflip off the roof of my house and risk breaking both my legs if the Props allowed me to use Reason to sync audio to picture. But again, I'd expect some serious QoL to come with that and I'd want to see at least some of that QoL be given to existing R12 users.

benjified

14 Dec 2023

The number one feature for Reason 13 will be ...

Hope..

For Reason 14 getting the features you actually want.

I'm seriously hoping for sequencer updates like track grouping, markers, freezing tracks.

But on the RRP side, I really want drag and drop midi from Players and direct recording into REs.

w1pl0c

14 Dec 2023

You should be able to load an instrument (with the search function and tapping the down arrow and hitting return) without using a mouse.

selig
RE Developer

15 Dec 2023

SynthGang wrote:
14 Dec 2023
For more "serious" audio editing functionality I've switched over to Pro Tools, but I still think nothing beats Reason for ease of use, stability, sound design, and sheer fun and joy of tinkering, etc.
How did you ever get any ‘serious’ audio editing done in Reason? You can’t draw the waveform (for cleaning up clicks), you can’t zoom to the sample level, you can’t adjust crossfade curves in any way (we JUST got crossfades FWIW), you can’t adjust the fade in/out curves, you can’t edit in shuffle mode (where gaps are automatically filled), you can’t commit plugins to audio outside of the rack (other DAWs allow this), you can’t replace audio files in the file folder after external processing (since all audio is ‘contained’), no basic audio tools for DC removal, hiss/hum removal, spectral editing, meta data etc, no batch processing (a big one), no support for Ogg Vorbis/FLAC/etc, no support for 32 bit audio or super high sample rates (above 192 kHz), and probably more I’m forgetting.
Reason can’t even edit multi-track recordings as one, so Reason has never been able to be anything but a basic audio editor IMO. That said I LOVE Reason for music creation more than any other DAW, I don’t even have a second choice (haven’t spent enough time with all DAWs to guess where I’d land if Reason suddenly disappeared tomorrow).

I honestly don’t ever see Reason becoming a serious audio editor tool on any level, although I do wish they would deal with grouped editing for audio tracks.
Selig Audio, LLC

SynthGang

15 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
15 Dec 2023
SynthGang wrote:
14 Dec 2023
How did you ever get any ‘serious’ audio editing done in Reason? You can’t draw the waveform (for cleaning up clicks), you can’t zoom to the sample level, you can’t adjust crossfade curves in any way (we JUST got crossfades FWIW), you can’t adjust the fade in/out curves, you can’t edit in shuffle mode (where gaps are automatically filled), you can’t commit plugins to audio outside of the rack (other DAWs allow this), you can’t replace audio files in the file folder after external processing (since all audio is ‘contained’), no basic audio tools for DC removal, hiss/hum removal, spectral editing, meta data etc, no batch processing (a big one), no support for Ogg Vorbis/FLAC/etc, no support for 32 bit audio or super high sample rates (above 192 kHz), and probably more I’m forgetting.
Reason can’t even edit multi-track recordings as one, so Reason has never been able to be anything but a basic audio editor IMO. That said I LOVE Reason for music creation more than any other DAW, I don’t even have a second choice (haven’t spent enough time with all DAWs to guess where I’d land if Reason suddenly disappeared tomorrow).

I honestly don’t ever see Reason becoming a serious audio editor tool on any level, although I do wish they would deal with grouped editing for audio tracks.
Yeah I really didn't lol and now that I've gotten into audio post for work I have no choice. I'm not a developer but at the same time I can't help but wonder whether or not at least a good portion of the features you mention would be relatively easy to implement (e.g. crossfade adjustment, editing modes, etc.)..

The "contained" architecture of Reason's save files has long been a serious bugbear of mine too. It really really hinders versioning a project and creates a lot of unnecessary bloat. I feel this particular aspect might be difficult to ever change especially with regards to backwards compatibility (unless they were to implement a two-tiered saving standard).

The ability to create clip groups or the use of VCA tracks to group and edit multiple tracks (in the way Pro Tools allows you to do) as one is another example of something that I feel would be relatively easy to implement.

I totally agree with you not ever seeing Reason go in that direction, but I sure would love to see it take steps in that direction!

I really wish the devs at Reason could just quit it with the near endless creation of fiddly new tools and start focusing on advancing the platform in serious ways. Also, the NN-XT is way past it's due date and needs a serious overhaul even if it comes in the form of an NN-XXT or something lol.

benjified

15 Dec 2023

Ok Reason Studios, it can’t get any easier.

Phase 1: Collect our feature requests
Phase 2:
Phase 3: Profit

SynthGang

15 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
15 Dec 2023

That said I LOVE Reason for music creation more than any other DAW, I don’t even have a second choice (haven’t spent enough time with all DAWs to guess where I’d land if Reason suddenly disappeared tomorrow).
I 100% agree btw - I started on FL way back in the day, have an Ableton License and now Pro Tools but when it comes to music production/creation, literally nothing beats Reason.

Even using Reason as a plugin is an absolute joy. I used it to great effect to morph my voice into something akin to a Tai Fighter for a small project I did a few months back. There’s just something immensely satisfying about tinkering with the rack.

I know a lot of people love both Ableton and FL, but I really do believe that Reason is deceivingly accessible and beginner-friendly compared to both those programs. Especially if you set aside the rack, I feel like Reason’s interface is hard to beat for ease of use. I’m just begging for more functionality 😩 lol

luckygreen

16 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
15 Dec 2023
SynthGang wrote:
14 Dec 2023

True. I'm still new to Reason. A few weeks ago I discovered that Reason is not able to handle FLAC.

Let that sink in: No. FLAC. support.

The most basic feature imaginable. Every single software remotely concerned about audio, be it payware, freeware, open-source, a small hobbyist selfmade tool -- all can handle FLAC. Why wouldn't they? FLAC is free, FLAC is lossless (as the name implies). It roughly halves the needed disk space for all your samples and audio files. But wait. There is one exception: Reason. It just can't handle it. I still can not believe this. Is this real?
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

sehov

16 Dec 2023

Its unbelievable.....but they just do not realize that the user base NEEDS DAW updates. Unbelievable...

Jagwah

16 Dec 2023

:re:

scotward57

16 Dec 2023

While adding sequencer features definitely wouldn't hurt, it would be delusional for any Reason user to expect that there will be some kind of "catch-up" to other DAWs. Not happening.

Instead, what should happen is having Reason integrated into some kind of hardware platform. Whether it's the development of their own MIDI/Audio device or something like a version of Reason that works in an AKAI MPC or whatever, that makes more sense.

Reason Studios has already surrendered the DAW war when version 11 was released. Their solution to appease the whiners for more DAW features was RRP. You can argue that RRP needs VST integration, but beyond that, Reason Studios has already answered the question.

You can disagree if you want, but I would say forget about a better sequencer/DAW. It's time for Reason to go into a true hardware direction!!

sehov

16 Dec 2023

scotward57 wrote:
16 Dec 2023
While adding sequencer features definitely wouldn't hurt, it would be delusional for any Reason user to expect that there will be some kind of "catch-up" to other DAWs. Not happening.

Instead, what should happen is having Reason integrated into some kind of hardware platform. Whether it's the development of their own MIDI/Audio device or something like a version of Reason that works in an AKAI MPC or whatever, that makes more sense.

Reason Studios has already surrendered the DAW war when version 11 was released. Their solution to appease the whiners for more DAW features was RRP. You can argue that RRP needs VST integration, but beyond that, Reason Studios has already answered the question.

You can disagree if you want, but I would say forget about a better sequencer/DAW. It's time for Reason to go into a true hardware direction!!
Complete nonsense, sorry. Don't take it personal please....

guitfnky

16 Dec 2023

agreed—abandoning the DAW side to dive headfirst into hardware is complete nonsense (also don’t take personally).

I don’t think anyone would expect the DAW to become comparable to others in a single or even 2-3 version updates, but they could go a long way in a single update by attacking some big ticket needs (organization/track folders, etc. would be a good start).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

DaveyG

16 Dec 2023

I think they have learned their lesson about hardware, discontinued about 4 years later:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/114 ... -interface

I doubt they have much appetite for a return to hardware. Neither are they ever going to properly compete with mainstream DAWs. They just don't want to.

Not sure where that leaves the product in the longer term. RS will probably get bought by someone.

• Information