Change tempo keyboard shortcut RANT

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ottostrom

06 Nov 2023

This has finally pissed me off enough that I want to bring it up publicly because I haven't seen anyone else complained about it. The numpad is filled with useful keyboard shortcuts that I use all the time while working in Reason (especially when recording), but why in the world does change tempo up/down have to have their own key bindings and be placed right next to all the good ones??
I can't tell how many times throughout the years I've unknowingly hit one of those keys and then wondered why everything all of a sudden sounds weird. Oh right, my 1.5 gb of recorded audio is currently being stretched against my will. Great. Go ahead and save this temporary, useless data to my main OS drive. :thumbs_up:
How actively am I supposed to be changing the song tempo incrementally for this to be warranted?
Is there anyway to unbind these

selig
RE Developer

06 Nov 2023

Hang on, let me grab my pitchfork…
I have no idea why we need tempo taking two key commands while there are other functions without key commands we would actually use.
I’m sure there are times when this is handy for someone, and in those times a modifier key such as Shift would be fine to allow this functionality while preventing the accidental tempo shifts.

For reference, this still happens to me multiple times a year now, even after trying to be careful and being well aware of the ‘land mine’ on my keypad.

Why not change the +/- keys to something useful like the Snap Grid setting, something we actually need and may be wanting to change on a regular basis?

Oh wait, I forgot my torch, brb…
Selig Audio, LLC

huggermugger

06 Nov 2023

Editable key commands would solve many of Reason's workflow problems, but, well, Reason.

robussc

06 Nov 2023

Another minimal development cost for big user gains. And glad to learn this as I was just about to switch to an extended keyboard!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Ottostrom

06 Nov 2023

robussc wrote:
06 Nov 2023
Another minimal development cost for big user gains. And glad to learn this as I was just about to switch to an extended keyboard!
Having a numpad improves your Reason experience significantly IMO. Just look at this beauty:

Once I have the structure going for a project I use the loop markers as checkpoints that I can quickly move to with 1 & 2

Stamatz

06 Nov 2023

That's sweet! I like that layout.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

stillifegaijin

08 Nov 2023

Add my voice to the small choir. The tempo change key commands drives me crazy! I can think of no useful case or need for this.

Bes
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2023

every unintended button should do a screen shake somehow
- Certified Reason expert

dioxide

08 Nov 2023

stillifegaijin wrote:
08 Nov 2023
Add my voice to the small choir. The tempo change key commands drives me crazy! I can think of no useful case or need for this.
It's good for playing live. But yeah I appreciate how people might find it more of a hindrance than a help.

DaveyG

08 Nov 2023

selig wrote:
06 Nov 2023
Hang on, let me grab my pitchfork…
<snip>
Oh wait, I forgot my torch, brb…
On a practical note you shouldn't really carry a pitchfork and a torch at the same time - you need both hands for the pitchfork.

But, yes, user definable key shortcuts would be handy. It's not exactly a revolutionary idea. :-)

selig
RE Developer

09 Nov 2023

dioxide wrote:
08 Nov 2023
stillifegaijin wrote:
08 Nov 2023
It's good for playing live. But yeah I appreciate how people might find it more of a hindrance than a help.
Every car needs a gas pedal, but you don't want to put it where it could possibly be hit by accident (key word: "accident").
In software you can't put a little wall around important buttons like the old MCI machine/remote did for the Record button.

In this case, a modifier key for tempo would all but remove every possible accidental tempo shift scenario.
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

09 Nov 2023

Playing live, the B key is a problem as it suddenly puts Reason into Blocks mode and there is no sync between Blocks sequencer position and the Main sequencer position. Playing live, it is better to use a Keyboard Override to map the B key to something harmless such as an unused Mixer mute button.

So yeah, customisable shortcuts would be nice, but unlikely, I think so we have to work round the limitations of the 'hardware' – which includes the QWERTY keyboard. Old drum machines used to have a dedicated Tempo knob on there and people managed to avoid it.

robussc

09 Nov 2023

I’m seeing now why some folks use an app to send common key commands, much more customizable. I have an end of life iPad Pro that might be well suited to that job, (the battery dies after about an hour of use…)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

selig
RE Developer

09 Nov 2023

dioxide wrote:
09 Nov 2023
Old drum machines used to have a dedicated Tempo knob on there and people managed to avoid it.
Probably because it is unlikely you'd accidentally hit it multiple times in a row within the capture window, which is how it works with Reason, LUNA and the 5 hardware devices I have that support tap tempo (everything in front of my I could test). ;)

But seriously, 100% yes to custom key commands.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information