Reason 12 Sounds VERY different

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marketblandings

03 Nov 2023

Hi All,

I finally activated my Reason 12 that I got for free when I upgraded to 11 about a year ago. 11 works so well and 12 seemed to have issues. So.....

I have owned Essentials 2, Reason 8, Reason 9 and 11. Now 12.

I can take an Essentials project from years ago and put it in 11 with no sound changes. 9 into 11. 8 into 9 etc. It made no difference in sound at all (except when Line 6 amps were involved, of course).

Now....every previous project I put into 12 goes way off in the mix. Seems centered around all low end sounds are twice as loud. Maybe more changes are there that I'm too angry to diagnose right now.

Why? Has anyone else experienced this?

Ottostrom

03 Nov 2023

Didn't you read the R12 change notes? They finally removed the reason-sound from this version

deeplink
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2023

Ottostrom wrote:
03 Nov 2023
Didn't you read the R12 change notes? They finally removed the reason-sound from this version
:lol:
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Loque

03 Nov 2023

Ottostrom wrote:
03 Nov 2023
:clap: :thumbup: :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

Mataya

03 Nov 2023

Auto compensation(plugin delay compensation) can change sound when off/on. Check that. Down right corner.

M

Marketblandings

03 Nov 2023

Thanks, everyone. Especially for the hilarious answers.
I'm closing in on the problem. It's the new little mixer strip in the Combi's, I think.

I really like an old Bass preset called Ampeg Flip-Top and use variations of it a lot.
That new little strip keeps popping up at "127" Main Volume . And that isn't null. I'm guessing 100 would be. Like the old gray mixers.

By the way......WTF is with the forced Combis inside the mix track insert windows!!!! I hate this. Real bad.
I have found I can Uncombine them all on an older project and resave to be rid of them....but WTF ?!?!

I think I'm going to isolate R12 for new projects only. Too bad because I unboxed it to be able to use VST3's on 3 projects about to be finished.

Sigh

Ottostrom

03 Nov 2023

Marketblandings wrote:
03 Nov 2023
By the way......WTF is with the forced Combis inside the mix track insert windows!!!! I hate this. Real bad.
I have found I can Uncombine them all on an older project and resave to be rid of them....but WTF ?!?!
Yeah that's unfortunately a byproduct from the mix channel change. As you probably remember the mix channel used to have assignable knobs and buttons (and presets), but now they changed it so that it's more of an empty container and instead you can store combinators directly inside of it. It makes it simpler to not have different kind of containers that do the same thing but this means that any mix channel that existed in your old project needs to convert to this setup to keep your settings.

Marketblandings

03 Nov 2023

Thx Ottostrom. I hadn't caught on to that, yet. So....the SSL knobs for inserts are gone?
I hadn't noticed because I've never used them and just hide that section.

motuscott

03 Nov 2023

Backgrading to Reason v1
Reason Sound key element to my many hits
Meet me in Ohio, home of rock n roll?
Wot?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Baylo

03 Nov 2023

Marketblandings wrote:
03 Nov 2023
Thx Ottostrom. I hadn't caught on to that, yet. So....the SSL knobs for inserts are gone?
I hadn't noticed because I've never used them and just hide that section.
Yes, but the upside of the change is that you can now have multiple combinators in your insert effects chain - and there are many of them for different purposes in the FSB. Previously the insert chain effectively *was* a single combinator, hence you could map the buttons and knobs to the mixer.

Marketblandings

03 Nov 2023

Thx Baylo,
I'm getting caught up now.
In the past, dumping combinators into mix channel insert windows just uncombi'd them. That was fine with one.That was a problem if you dumped 2 or more in and got rewired, everything. So....that's an improvement of sorts.

• Information